Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DOOR HANDLE LED

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
BlackSapphireZ

DOOR HANDLE LED

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 am

using factory parts!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... hlight=LED

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Re: DOOR HANDLE LED

Post by Aebous » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:51 am

Now that is how a DIY writeup should be! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

bingboybri

Post by bingboybri » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:56 am

:thumbsup: but is it worth all the hassle???
2003 z4 3.0i se auto,black with black roof,red leather,auto lights and wipers,ac, 6 cd, pdc,traction ,heated/elec memory seats,18 compomotive wheels and a great big grin on my face you couldnt crack with a sledge hammer.(oh and my new stubby from pav

FemmeT

Post by FemmeT » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:07 pm

I had this installed on my car too:

I haven't been able to make pictures at night yet (the car is in the workshop).
Alpina Roadster S #46
Drexler LSD, Mov'it brakes, Reiger dampers, Recaro seats, quad exhaust and a thousand and one other mods

AznVaLLi

Post by AznVaLLi » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:38 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
19" Hartge/Hartge Front Lip/Aerodynamic Side Skirt&Rear Apron/Hard Top/Remus Exhaust/RPI Air Scoop/Eibach Springs&camber kit/Bavarian Autosport High Performance Ignition Coils

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Out for a run this eve... saw a lovely 1 series M which had white LEDs lighting the outside door handles as the guy unlocked it - WANT!!! Is it possible? Looked awesome!! :thumbsup:
Z4 2.0 SE '07

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:28 pm

I rigged some of these up last year when doing a project on the doors. It's pretty easy to drill a small hole under the door handle and hook an LED up to the auto diming circuit.

Poor picture during testing, but you can get the idea:

Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Now that there.... is mega awesome!

Impressed that you managed to hook into the auto-dim circuit! Where did you make the connections? Is it a 12V line?
Z4 2.0 SE '07

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:54 pm

Actually it was just something I came up with based on a concept I'd seen elsewhere and the desire to create some puddle lights.

Ended up running up a quick harness to do inner, outer and puddle in one go, so they work on hte key blip and dim with the interior or on engine start.

More detail here:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ddle+light
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn » Tue May 26, 2009 9:52 am

Hi,

I been reading about the LED door mod but cannot figure out what it does, I looked at the post on the bimmer forum and still cannot understand what it's for - sorry for being a bit stoopid, can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

sojourn
2006 Titanium Silver 3.0si - all bells and whistles except elec folding mirrors and cruise control...and recently discovered missing ULF'amajig...

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue May 26, 2009 10:31 am

Well it's not a mod that's going to change the world - that's for sure.

All it does is when the key is blipped to open the door a small LED lights up the area underneath the handle. Not only does it make finding easier int he dark but looks neat. The light dims once the ignition is turned on or a few seconds after locking (as per the interior lights)
I did it as I was building inner door handle and puddle lights so it was just one more loop on the wire.

IIRC the new Z4 has this feature built in

dasherdiablo1

Post by dasherdiablo1 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:01 pm

I have the puddle lights on my 1series....It always gets good comments and looks brilliant on a silver car as they illuminate soft blue. Would love to install them on the Z4 Coupe but not sure how easy it would be as the 1er hands stick out whereas the Z4coupe are flush.

Let me know if someone manages to do a decent job as I'd love to do it to ours too...

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue May 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Yes - the door handles light a sort of blue/purple on Sterling grey. Looks very cool at nights.

I fitted puuddle lights at the same time. There's a full project write up on here somewhere.

Fitted in the bottom of the door using bright white cluster LED's linked to the interior lights, located in one of the blanking grommets. Work perfectly and really illuminate the step in area.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue May 26, 2009 1:15 pm

dasherdiablo1 wrote:I have the puddle lights on my 1series....It always gets good comments and looks brilliant on a silver car as they illuminate soft blue. Would love to install them on the Z4 Coupe but not sure how easy it would be as the 1er hands stick out whereas the Z4coupe are flush.

Let me know if someone manages to do a decent job as I'd love to do it to ours too...
CJ10Jeeper did do a decent job now wash your mouth out :poke:

If you ask him nicely he may direct you to the detailed posts he made. :wink:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue May 26, 2009 1:49 pm

OK - there you go:

Write up on the inner door, outer door and puddle lights, all run off the interior lighting circuit therefore key fob and ignition controlled

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... hts#p49611