Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Review : Gliptone GT11 + GT12 Leather treatment

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Review : Gliptone GT11 + GT12 Leather treatment

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:39 pm

I will be setting up a product review section soon, but for now the "How To" section is probably the most appropriate place for this.

I have a 2004 Z4 with sports seats. They are in pretty good condition but I want them to stay that way so I decided to purchase some cleaner. After much research I decided to purchase Gliptone GT12 cleaner and GT11 conditioner.

I decided to do a test, so I treated just the passenger seat.

First I ran a wet cloth over the seat, then used a rag to smear the GT12 all over the seat. I used a soft-ish nail brush to work the cleaner into the seat.

I waited 5 minutes for the cleaner to settle in and then used another wet rag to wipe it all off. I then waited for it to dry. The seat came up really nicely and looked matt like it does on a new car.

I then opened the GT11 conditioner and used a clean rag to smear it all over the seat. It seemed to make the seat shine, which was the effect I was not wanting at all. However, after waiting for it to dry a little and giving it a rub down with a microfibre the matt look returned.

The seat looks mint now (pics below).

As for the smell, I have heard bad things about it... actually I think the leather smell it had smells a bit musty, but nowhere near as bad as people on other forums make out, in fact I quite like it. It settles down after a day or two as well, so I can live with that.

All in all I would recommend these products, I paid £12.50 delivered, which is pretty good for this result.

Pics below show before and after.... I know the seats were pretty good to start with, but I think you can see a difference :D

Drivers seat.... not treated

Passenger seat, treated with gliptone

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:37 pm

Is it just me or does your passenger seat just look more dull now? Sorry, sp3ctre, but I like the "BEFORE" picture better! :exitright:
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

Dallas_Z4

Post by Dallas_Z4 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:18 am

I can't tell a difference. The treatment will help keep your seats looking new though so it's still well worth it.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:22 am

You can see it more on the side bolster... but I admit it's hard to tell because the seats are in good nick anyway.... If you want to see how the treated one looks, just lookat a brand new car, it's the same... the drivers side (untreated) has a slight sheen to it. You may think this looks good, but after more time it will get shinier and shinier and eventually the pores will all get blocked and the leather will crack.

Trust me, the treated one does look better in real life :D

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 am

Well in that case:

That looks great! :thumbsup:
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:30 am

I noticed the difference. I like the matted look... just like new again. :thumbsup:
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

taffy

Post by taffy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:40 pm

takedown8 wrote:Is it just me or does your passenger seat just look more dull now? Sorry, sp3ctre, but I like the "BEFORE" picture better! :exitright:
Yeah me too, sorry!

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:46 pm

each to their own... I think the pics dont show it too well though, looks matt like they do when you see them in the showroom.

Best way to compare is to look next time you're at your dealer... find a brand new car and look at the leather, then see if they have a 5 year old car and look at that... the leather on the old one is shiny. I know it may look "dull" on the pics, but really its not... just looks "new" :D
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Looks good to me... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Roadster

Post by Roadster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:08 pm

If anyone tries this on their ///M seats and doesn't like the effect, I will be happy to haul your seats away (for free!).