Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine intake air filter replacement.

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
veryhuman

Engine intake air filter replacement.

Post by veryhuman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:49 am

I have a question regarding this fairly easy DIY, after opening up and taking out the air filter, there were 2 parts, the paper filter with an orange border and a layer of black plastic foam? When I ordered parts for the filter, there was only a picture of an air filter with the oranger border, there were no mention of this black layer.

My question is, do I just dust off the black layer and replace the air filter, or is it suppose to be replaced?

Thanks!

Curtis

Re: Engine intake air filter replacement.

Post by Curtis » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:20 am

As far as I'm aware you just replace the orange filter, I think the black foam you mention is just the seal between the two parts of the filter housing which doesn't need to be replaced.

tec243

Post by tec243 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:00 am

I have the 3.0 and just swapped my filter with a K&N. There was no black layer attached to the one I removed and once I had it out, there was only the plasitc box inside. The box lid doesn't lift up too far due to the limited flexibility of the intake tube. The lid clipped in ok but the K&N fit 'very' tight inside so I'll probably go back in and loosen up more of the tube to verify I have it in right. I did notice a difference in zip with the new K&N filter. Gotta like that !!
To have a keen eye, you must have at least one open.
'06 3.0si Montego Blue Roadster

DHK

Post by DHK » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:01 pm

The orange filter comes with black foam glued to it. When you buy a new one you should get that black foam too.
2004 Olivine Green | Sport/Premium | Sat Nav | Paddle shifters | Dice iPod | Heated Electric Seats | Clear rear/side lights | 19" CSL/FL452 |

ZetaTre

Post by ZetaTre » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:17 pm

Someone else asked about this recently.
They are 2 different filter from compatible manufacturers: the one with the black foam is from Mann, the one without from Mahle. Mahle manufacture the BMW branded. However Mann works just as well, it's the same price, and often used by BMW itself.

2003 Z4 2.5i
2004 X3 3.0i
2002 Ducati Monster S4

ZetaTre

Post by ZetaTre » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:25 pm

This is the tread I was talking about: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ter#p56439

2003 Z4 2.5i
2004 X3 3.0i
2002 Ducati Monster S4