Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A question on conectivity

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
oliver.brace

A question on conectivity

Post by oliver.brace » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Does any1 know if there is a way to connect an aux cable in conjunction with a CD changer? as i don't want to looses it. thanks
missing Sat nav, cruise control, xenon facelift lights, z4m rear bumper, z4m bonnett, turbo or supercharger but working on it!!

bras0782

Re: A question on conectivity

Post by bras0782 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:28 pm

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1483

You posted in there too, but if you actually read the posts in that thread you'll find the answer and more.
2004, 53 plate, 3.0 Roadster, Sterling Grey

oliver.brace

Post by oliver.brace » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Thanks Bras0782,

I did read the part about disconnecting the plug believed to be the CD changer occupying the space needed for aux cable. I wasn't sure if this was the only way to hard wire an auxiliary port into the radio as the new Z4's come with an option to have both the CD changer and aux port working together maybe there just better radios now?
missing Sat nav, cruise control, xenon facelift lights, z4m rear bumper, z4m bonnett, turbo or supercharger but working on it!!

oliver.brace

Post by oliver.brace » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:52 am

Ok so its taken me a while to sort this 1 and with a little help from a mate i have created something that allows me to keep the cd changer attached and bring in an set of RCA's on a switch so happy days :thumbsup: its only on a project bored at the mo for testing however i intend to etch a propper 1 out soon and the mk2 will have the bmw Aux Male and Female connectors on so it will be a strait Plug and play.Image

the switch i intend to use will be an air bag switch located on the transmission tunnel opposite the sports button im thinking this will be a nice button to use because the is only on/off writton on it. That is unless any1 can suggest a better option

anyway thanks for looking :D

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:24 am

Wow.. you've gone to a lot of trouble.. but in fact all you need to do to keep the CD Changer and keep AUX in is just mod the Aux lead..

It takes about 5mins and i did it with a little screwdriver. It switches with the correct MODE switch on the head unit.. if you want RCAs instead of the 3.5m you can just get a cable.. having put the aux lead somewhere possibly more hidden.

If you read the entire AUX-In post, the issue of sharing the CD changer slot is corrected later on.. If you can open the Aux male plug you can do it.
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

oliver.brace

Post by oliver.brace » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:30 am

Hi Andy,

Im no sure im with you, surely if u splice into the aux cable to bring in anything else both devises will try and play at the came time?

oliver.brace

Post by oliver.brace » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi Andy,

I have looked at the other post and yer i see what u mean now :thumbsup: but b4 i kick myself for wasting my time and not having my iPhone fitted sooner, how do u find the quality? there seems to be an issue with hissing and volume.
1 good thing about my circuit i have created is that the extra rca's are as gooder quality as the CD Changer.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:00 am

I haven't got an iphone but i use a Sony Ericsson P1i in exactly the same way and the quality is great.

For me the radio is the worst quality, then a high bitrate MP3 CD, then a high bitrate set of MP3s thru the jack.

Again don't know about the iphone, but i have a good EQ on mine and Megabass makes it sound surprisingly good.

oliver.brace

Post by oliver.brace » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:10 pm

Andy,

you dont happen to have or no where i can find a pin-out for the Aux port on the Head unit so i can make my own Aux cable, if its just a case of connecting 3 cables the the original CD Changer plug i dont c the point in spending even £40 on the cable when i can just sauce the connectors for penny's

cheers m8

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:31 pm

have seen it somewhere cos someone else did it using floppy ribbon cable iirc.. do a search :thumbsup: