Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front End Change

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Front End Change

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:28 pm

Thought this might interest someone thinking of updating the front end without the cost of going to BMW or an aftermarket kit

All started as I have a short vanity registration plate and wanted a narrower mounting frame. That left holes - not cool
Anyway I decided a 2006 front end would look better than original.

Removal is easy. Half a dozen set screws a couple of bolts and a disconnect washers and lights

I sourced a new front from ebay for £50 (a real result as it was unmarked) and did a quick mock fit to see all was well. Only issue I had was that I have Xenons and washer system so had to dremmel out the top cover. This has to be done carefully as there is no real marking to work to and no tolerence for error. Fortunately the washer mounts are already moulded in

Had the front resprayed by a local guy and sourced new lights from BMW - the most expensive part.

Perfect fit first time. Grills, badges, light profiles and event he foglight connectors.

Some photos of the original look with wide registration plate, test fit and the final result.

I'm really pleased with it....

Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

zee42

Post by zee42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Very nicely done :thumbsup: I would have to say that there are few of us here that would tackle that project on our own....great fit and finish
WELL DONE!

I think the pic you had with the front removed is how socals "Z" looks most of the time :rofl: :rofl:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:46 pm

V.nice!!! I want to do that too!!! :D
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:18 pm

For sure this is a really easy project and one that most people could handle. Few special tools are needed and mostly it's taking care not to damage things assembling and refitting.

Pleased other like the look

I plan to go to clear headlights to complete the look when I find some at a reasobable price
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

561design

Post by 561design » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:48 pm

Good job! It's always great to see people working on their own cars. Thanks for sharing.
Charles
flickr

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:14 am

Nice work, mate! :thumbsup:
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

enfield

Post by enfield » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:17 am

Have to agree with Rick Hunter on this. Looks much better - don't blame you for being pleased!!
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

Z4 Forum AMW

Post by Z4 Forum AMW » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:48 pm

Do you need to change to headlights or can you literally jusy change the bumper?
2003 Z4 2.5 - Grey with Red Leather

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:12 pm

Nice one. You are the only one with an '06 bumper in that colour as it does not exist on the facelift models :D

Was adjusting easy to do?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:13 pm

oh - and ashame about the oil leak :wink:

On '06 models the number plate surround is in the colour of the car. Any paint left for that one?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:06 pm

You are the only one with an '06 bumper in that colour
Nice to know - I like unique...
oh - and ashame about the oil leak

Why did I know you'd spot that. As I took the photo I already anticipated the comment, but did not wait the 2 mins for it to go...lol

No real adjustment needed. Fastened all fixings loosly, bit of pushing and pulling then tightened the lot. Crease lines all looked fine first time.

Ah the number plate. I could get e new backing and chop it down as this one is to a 5 digit registration - we'll see.