Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do I remove the CD changer?

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Herminator

How do I remove the CD changer?

Post by Herminator » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm sure I've seen a thread with photo's on how to do this but I can't find it.

I need to remove the jammed cd changer from my car and I'll fit the Intravee iPod connector whilst I'm at it but I'm not sure how to get access to the cd changer.
I'm thinking it's just the door and the large plastic trim piece thats around the door but how do I get the second piece off?
Is there anything else that will be in my way?
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

srhutch

Re: How do I remove the CD changer?

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Do you need to remove any discs, if not leave it where it is and get access to everything from the boot, else it's remove the centre panel as you said. I can email you a post from the italian forum if you PM your email address.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Herminator - it's a real major job and PITA to get the cd changer out.
It's removal of the hinged door with its frustrating release method, centre console large trim piece and several other pieces to get to it inc. release cord and the more tirm. Next out is the Sat Nav DVD and finally the changer that is undone and pivoted out.
Knowing your current circumstances I'd leave it in for now
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:39 pm

The problem is the cd's that are stuck in the changer, I stupidly put in proper cd's that I'd paid for and the tray is now refusing to eject :headbang:

I've found this, which is pretty much what I need to do but I see there are a few more steps than I realised :(

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/6042EN.pdf

I wasn't going to do it for a few more weeks (until I'm no longer splinted up) but as you say, it's going to be a PITA.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Thats the way I did it, intersting that I have no release cord on my post 2006 car, I guess this is something to do with the change they made to the roof mech later on.

It's not hard, just take your rime, and allow a couple of hours to be on the safe side, but 1 hours should have it all done.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Herminator wrote:I've found this, which is pretty much what I need to do but I see there are a few more steps than I realised :(
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/6042EN.pdf
wow.. that looks like an absolute mission.
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

rob davey

Post by rob davey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:16 pm

srhutch wrote:Thats the way I did it, intersting that I have no release cord on my post 2006 car, I guess this is something to do with the change they made to the roof mech later on.

It's not hard, just take your rime, and allow a couple of hours to be on the safe side, but 1 hours should have it all done.
mine is a 2006 and has a release cord?
BMW Z4 2.0i SE Roadster (2006 / 06) Facelift, titanium silver, black 108s, stubbie, sports wheel & gear knob, leather seats & bum warmers, drivers side FAB, cup holders and aux input

MrGringo

Post by MrGringo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:27 pm

I've just been reading through these instructions as I am keen to install my aux cable where the cd-changer would go between the seats.
Does anybody know if the CD changer wiring is already present? Step 30 seems to suggest that it is.
If so, what do you think the chances are of hijacking the connector to use it as an Aux cable? I have already managed to make my own cable (which I'll post a write up about once it's all fitted) and if the cable is similar I think I could probably use it without having to route my own cable through to the head unit.

Any thoughts?
Montego Blue 2.0i SE Roadster
Gone but not forgotten

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:44 pm

MrGringo wrote:I've just been reading through these instructions as I am keen to install my aux cable where the cd-changer would go between the seats.
Does anybody know if the CD changer wiring is already present? Step 30 seems to suggest that it is.
If so, what do you think the chances are of hijacking the connector to use it as an Aux cable? I have already managed to make my own cable (which I'll post a write up about once it's all fitted) and if the cable is similar I think I could probably use it without having to route my own cable through to the head unit.

Any thoughts?
If you ar in the UK then yes your car is pre wired for CD changer, but IIRC this has no effect on the AUX as this just plugs into the back of the head unit so you can use both.