Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Turbo Kit

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
oliver.brace

Turbo Kit

Post by oliver.brace » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi all, I hope you can advise

I have been looking at different mods available for my z4 which is a 3.0l manual and for the big power im looking for forced induction seems to be the way to go. as i am sure you are all aware there are lots of different superchargers on the market my first question is has any1 had any experience with any of these superchargers if so what our your findings? which is best?

2nd question is has any1 got any info on a turbo mods for my car this really would be my 1st choice if there were kits available but there doesn't seem to be, i wonder if there is a kit made for a different bmw that uses our engine which can be transferred?

the only info on z4 turbo i have managed to find is on this website http://www.da-motorsport.com/projeler/t ... oz4_en.htm however this guy only seems to do this as a hobby there is no price or contact

thanks

oli
missing Sat nav, cruise control, xenon facelift lights, z4m rear bumper, z4m bonnett, turbo or supercharger but working on it!!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Turbo Kit

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:10 am

A fair few have gone down the ESS supercharger route and it seems a well matched piece of kit to the profile of the Z4 engine. Don't think I've actually heard of a turbo on the Z4??

Bottom line is frankly for the money to fully set up a forced induction it would be way cheaper to just chop the Zed in (whatever year and however much you like it) and buy an ///M You can pick one up for less than £20k these days
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Memo

Post by Memo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:12 am

Da Motorsports' owner stopped to do this professionally. He is now modifying his M3. Unfortunately even though the products were good the country (Turkey) was not the best country to start such business.

ZetaTre

Post by ZetaTre » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:14 am

I don't know about the UK, but I've been looking around here in the US for a turbo kit for the Z4. I couldn't find one that is bolt on. However there are two tuner that could be able to help you.

The first one is NickG @ Technique Tuning. He has a bolt on turbo kit for the E46, and last time I checked with him a couple of weeks ago he had plan to adapt it to the Z4 (I would think only fabrications are required as the two cars share the same engine).

The second person you might wanna call/email is Teddy @ Metric Mechanic. The guys at MM have a ton of experience on BMW and was talking to them a couple weeks ago on a turbo setup. I don't know if they will be able to do a bolt on kit, but might be worth contract them.

However, I think you first need to figure out what you'd like to do. If you want to keep your engine stock, then you can only run a mild boost, around 8PSI. If that's your choice, then the ESS twin-screw would be best... On high compression engine SCs are much better as you avoid turbo lag & boost spikes. Also with such a low boost an SC will be working just as efficiently as a turbo. In this case about $7K would be enough.
If you want more boost, let's say 15-20PSI, then an SC is not your best option. You will need a turbo setup, but also your motor too will need attention. You'll have to replace the internals with forged and lower the compression with different pistons. You also need new cams with no overlap and higher lift. But at that point you'll probably end up with a car that would keep up with GT3... For this solution a rough estimate would be about $20K-$25K.

2003 Z4 2.5i
2004 X3 3.0i
2002 Ducati Monster S4