Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Instrument cluster need programming?

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
powerontap

Instrument cluster need programming?

Post by powerontap » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:09 pm

When the instrument cluster is removed and disconnected, does the same cluster need to be coded/programmed before it's reinstalled?
Go Topless

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Instrument cluster need programming?

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Well I've had my instrument cluster in and out several times and it's never needed to be coded. Can't see why it would.

I vaguely have something in my mind that says it's one of the components/modules that stores mileage and you should not drive with it disconnected or you create a mileage error (I stand to be corrected on this as I usually have the cluster out to mess with LCM's that also influence mileage readings)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:33 pm

thanks jeeper. I thought it would be OK, just wanted to avoid a possible problem before it occured.
Go Topless

GP20

Post by GP20 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:47 am

cj10jeeper wrote:Well I've had my instrument cluster in and out several times and it's never needed to be coded. Can't see why it would.

I vaguely have something in my mind that says it's one of the components/modules that stores mileage and you should not drive with it disconnected or you create a mileage error (I stand to be corrected on this as I usually have the cluster out to mess with LCM's that also influence mileage readings)
From what a BMW shop foreman told me, there's a certain mileage discrepency that's allowed by the computer. When it goes over the limit, the mileage tampering light comes on. What's the limit? I have no clue.
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)