Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Grill Badges and Holder

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
rcleme05

Grill Badges and Holder

Post by rcleme05 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:30 am

Grill Badges and Holder
I happen to have a BMW MINI as well as a Z4M. The MINI community are big on accessorizing their cars, and one of their simpler mods is a Grill Badge holder which can be fitted with magnetic grill badges. New brackets are widely available for around $30.00 - for example, at http://new.minimania.com/web/item/G2NMA ... Detail.cfm.

Since I had a spare Bracket and an hour to kill, I fitted it to the Z4's grill. It looks rather good IMHO. It can be subtle, or not, depending on your choice of badge. Install is literally two bolts, and is easily removed.

There are a wide variety of badges online. Flags for nearly any country are available. The website http://motoringbadges.com has quite a few that seem appropriate for a BMW.

Maybe we could get a source for some 'M' badges or Dinan badges.

Any thoughts?
---2006 Z4M Roaster, Triple Black, CF interior, cruising the canyons of Southern California

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Grill Badges and Holder

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:14 am

I don't think I've seen a grille badge on a car since we stopped fitting RAC and AA recovery badges in my dad's era and he's 80 now.

Guess it's just not something done much in the UK. The trend has been to clean and sleek.

Do you guys really fit these in the US?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:50 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:I don't think I've seen a grille badge on a car since we stopped fitting RAC and AA recovery badges in my dad's era and he's 80 now.

Guess it's just not something done much in the UK. The trend has been to clean and sleek.

Do you guys really fit these in the US?
Go on Phil, you know you want one - maybe something that has a pastiche of ///M-ness - W\\\ perhaps?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

rcleme05

Post by rcleme05 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:55 pm

These are indeed often seen on new [02+] MINIs, and of course on classic British cars. I haven't seen any on BMWs. The MINI community tends to be more "expressive" with their car's appearance, through.

regards

rob.
---2006 Z4M Roaster, Triple Black, CF interior, cruising the canyons of Southern California

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Yep my Dad had them on his cars too, you see them quite a bit in the US? I think it looks OK.

rcleme05

Post by rcleme05 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:52 am

Wondermike wrote:Yep my Dad had them on his cars too, you see them quite a bit in the US? I think it looks OK.
Cheers!

Sephanite

Post by Sephanite » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:46 am

i see them on mercs here in aus. might look into them if i can find a symbol i like

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:24 pm

I wonder if I could get one with the PistonHeads logo on - or one that simply says "Stop stealing my badges you pikey tealeaf!"?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

rabman5

Post by rabman5 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:41 pm

I usually only see them on 1970's of 1980's Mercedes and some BMW's. I thought they denoted a certain mileage attained. I once saw an old Mercedes with a 300,000 mile badge. Seems a bit "bumper stickerish" otherwise.