Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soft top care.

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Dogman

Soft top care.

Post by Dogman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Probably been asked before. Is the soft top easy to keep and what sort of care does it need. If I buy one the car will always be garaged. Thanks in advance.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:56 pm

Dogman I used to leave mine outside, and one of my cats used to sleep on it all the time, so my top never looked great for most of the time :thumbsdown:

When I cleaned it though, I used to use the BMW cleaner and then the water inhibitor, and it used to look pretty good. The one thing I don't like about fabric roofs are the creases that seem to appear through time, no matter how you treat it. Slightly spoils the look IMHO, when you clean and wax the car but the roof lets it down a bit.

If you do low mileage (which I think you do IIRC) and keep it garaged then that's far better, and after a few years it will probably look as good as new.

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 am

I garage my Zed and leave the top down 90% of the time. I bought the BMW soft top cleaner kit (~$75US)and am very pleased. I treated it back in Feb and the soft top still beads when I wash her.
Member ZSCCA

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:46 am

flyboyaj wrote:I garage my Zed and leave the top down 90% of the time. I bought the BMW soft top cleaner kit (~$75US)and am very pleased. I treated it back in Feb and the soft top still beads when I wash her.
ditto, I used the Raggtopp kit and was pleased with the results. I used the BMW cleaner and conditioner and am impressed!

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:35 am

For a weekly thing i brush the roof with a soft shoe brush. You will be amazed how much dust and dirt comes off.

Then once a year i use the Auto Glym soft top kit and it too beads.

I have heard that the BMW kit is about the best you can buy and alot of my Boxster mates use it.

Never drop or leave your roof down while its wet though, you get what they call "Circles of death" which wont come out.

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black