Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HID Bulbs upgrade

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
tools99

HID Bulbs upgrade

Post by tools99 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi All, I have been thinking about replacing my headlight bulbs in my 03 Z4

I took one of them out the other day which is tricky but not too difficult and there are a few questions
1. Can I buy a higher watt bulb that will work with the standard existing power unit that the bulb fits into?
2. The standard existing power unit says 35w max on it but will it power a higher watt bulb? if so will ther be any issuse?
2. Which website is best to buy the replacements from?
3. Has anyone done this yet?

Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers! :D
03 Z4 2.5 Manual in Sterling Grey with induction Kit and aux wire, no other mods

thestig

Re: HID Bulbs upgrade

Post by thestig » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Is 35w not the legal limit?
The Stig
2004 Roadster 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 18" 108's
'M' seats, wheel and suspension, Nav, Carver 10 speaker, Xenons, Black Leather, Elec mem seats, B/tooth, CD Changer, Cruise, Elec fold side mirrors, Park, Seat heating :)

ecw4949

Post by ecw4949 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi Just saw your post re HID headlights
Dont know if you have the HID head lights a standard and wanted to put higher wattage HID bulbs in
or you have the standard bulbs and want to put a HID kit in .

If so let me know as i've just done it and i'll tell you all the info .

Ed

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:49 pm

I wouldn't change the wattage of HID-they are very high voltage and I'm sure there are maximum wattages to stay legal. Also, never touch the bulb--fingerprints will shorten the life significantly. Oh, and be VERY careful those voltages are enough to ruin your day.
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.