Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Custom Cruise Control Loom

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:04 am

srhutch wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm
Hi Steve,

Putting this here rather than a PM, to see what interest there is.
I’ve been looking through the instructions and have a few questions, also want to offer to help if I can.

I’d consider myself fairly handy with a lot of jobs, but playing with the electrics just makes me that little more wary (cutting wires or not).
With the fact you’ve sent two sets of instructions which contain different engines/different years, looking through some of the instructions just leaves me with a bit of a question mark over the clarity of some of it. (Don’t get me wrong, you’re doing this for £20, I appreciate it a lot!)
It’s worth saying that I’ve not attempted anything so far, it’s just on first review - maybe it all becomes clear when you start, but I don’t want to start taking stuff apart before I know I can finish it.

I do think the instructions could be clearer for some of us non-electrical savvy folk who know they have competency in DIY jobs, but just that some of this looks a little confusing.
I have the full adobe acrobat software, so can manipulate the two instruction manuals into one. I can also put your instruction parts in between the steps of the BMW pages (which I think is needed) plus remove the unnecessary extra pages that are in there and just taking up space/ cause confusion.
I could make these for different models, different years if needed.

It may just be me being a fanny, but I got the stalk yesterday, opened the two instructions and was a little confused and now feel the need to go to a friend of mine who I hope will know what to do.

My main confusion is the order in which you go from one doc to another, there’s text on some pages which is in reference to the pic on the following page - but you can work that out quickly enough I know.

Random questions that I have are:
Step 1 Disconnect the battery. What are the consequences of disconnecting the battery? I don’t have any books, so will the radio work afterwards?

Step 5 Feed the blue wire over to the glovebox. Removing the panel underneath the A/C controls helps.
:D Thats quite vague, from the right hand air vent to the glovebox is a fair distance - any extra detail here would help - or pics!?

Is Page 4 in your manual, the first time that we then look at the BMW instructions, and if so, I assume we go straight to page 11? If so, that makes the rest of the document redundant (ref my offer to cut down earlier)

I have other questions, but don’t want to ramble on more than I have.
Again, VERY pleased that you’ve done all this - not a criticism at all, just an offer to help this good cause for others who may find themselves in the same boat. :tumbleweed:
2nd Z4, Auction find, 2007 3.0si Sport, 45k, Silver Grey, 224 Alloys. Retro Cruise :thumbsup:
Previous: 2003, 2.5i Sport, Sterling Grey (2006-2010)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:37 am

Not a problem.

I didn’t see the point in completely re writing the bmw instructions. Most of it is applicable except for the Ecu connection and the LCM connection, which is where mine come in.

I’ll drop you a pm with my mobile on so you can give me a shout if you have any issues. TBH I think when you start it will all become clear.

Regarding the battery, you must disconnect this before touching anything on the electrical side of this mod. Only thing you will have to reset is your clock and windows for one touch up.

Fogwan1983

Post by Fogwan1983 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:15 pm

I had Steve fit mine today. All looks neat and works a treat. Nice guy and provided a great service. Thanks again.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:01 pm

HyperGrade wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:04 am
srhutch wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm
Hi Steve,

Putting this here rather than a PM, to see what interest there is.
I’ve been looking through the instructions and have a few questions, also want to offer to help if I can.

I’d consider myself fairly handy with a lot of jobs, but playing with the electrics just makes me that little more wary (cutting wires or not).
With the fact you’ve sent two sets of instructions which contain different engines/different years, looking through some of the instructions just leaves me with a bit of a question mark over the clarity of some of it. (Don’t get me wrong, you’re doing this for £20, I appreciate it a lot!)
It’s worth saying that I’ve not attempted anything so far, it’s just on first review - maybe it all becomes clear when you start, but I don’t want to start taking stuff apart before I know I can finish it.

I do think the instructions could be clearer for some of us non-electrical savvy folk who know they have competency in DIY jobs, but just that some of this looks a little confusing.
I have the full adobe acrobat software, so can manipulate the two instruction manuals into one. I can also put your instruction parts in between the steps of the BMW pages (which I think is needed) plus remove the unnecessary extra pages that are in there and just taking up space/ cause confusion.
I could make these for different models, different years if needed.

It may just be me being a fanny, but I got the stalk yesterday, opened the two instructions and was a little confused and now feel the need to go to a friend of mine who I hope will know what to do.

My main confusion is the order in which you go from one doc to another, there’s text on some pages which is in reference to the pic on the following page - but you can work that out quickly enough I know.

Random questions that I have are:
Step 1 Disconnect the battery. What are the consequences of disconnecting the battery? I don’t have any books, so will the radio work afterwards?

Step 5 Feed the blue wire over to the glovebox. Removing the panel underneath the A/C controls helps.
:D Thats quite vague, from the right hand air vent to the glovebox is a fair distance - any extra detail here would help - or pics!?

Is Page 4 in your manual, the first time that we then look at the BMW instructions, and if so, I assume we go straight to page 11? If so, that makes the rest of the document redundant (ref my offer to cut down earlier)

I have other questions, but don’t want to ramble on more than I have.
Again, VERY pleased that you’ve done all this - not a criticism at all, just an offer to help this good cause for others who may find themselves in the same boat. :tumbleweed:
Don't know how much you've read around the forum on this topic but before Steve developed 'his loom' lots of members fitted them by cutting wires or using scotch locks on looms from BMW. Steve's loom is very much plug and play by comparison. However the cabling routes are; as far as I can tell, the same. If you search the old threads they go into detail about how to route the cable and remove/replace trim which is in the way. Might be worth a look :thumbsup:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Only the two footwell trims need to come off, I then use a nut on some string to drop through the bulkhead hole behind the glovebox and pull the wire up again. The cable can be secured to the main loom that runs along the bulkhead with ties. It helps to have someone else on the other side when feeding through from one footwell to the other.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Bit of wire does the job for me. :wink:

I don't even remove the LCM now, just remove the plug blind, bit tight but done three this way now. Saves removing the trim which can be hard to get off without damaging.

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:37 pm

Loom received - thanks very much Steve! :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi Steve. CC fitted today. Everything fitted as advised and working as it should. Great to have CC up and running on my recent addition. Thanks very much for doing this Steve. Very much appreciated. :thumbsup:
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks for the updates :thumbsup:

I'll have more made up over the weekend so will have spares, which takes some pressure off going forward :lol:

DaiC

Post by DaiC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:09 am

This is my DME unit on M54 srhutch, any ideas Steve ?
Cheers
Attachments
9250D991-61CC-49EF-B25C-F6FDB4F3BF8A.jpeg
9250D991-61CC-49EF-B25C-F6FDB4F3BF8A.jpeg (362.64 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
79A53701-6DA0-4829-88A6-D33D41AF9463.jpeg
79A53701-6DA0-4829-88A6-D33D41AF9463.jpeg (401.97 KiB) Viewed 2594 times

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:16 am

Has anyone got the the fitting instructions for this?
Blue Z4MC - now gone

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:14 pm

2dogs wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:16 am Has anyone got the the fitting instructions for this?
I’ll send them across terry

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:20 pm

DaiC wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:09 am This is my DME unit on M54 srhutch, any ideas Steve ?
Cheers
Hi DaiC

Have sent you a PM with details and added to my instructions for future.

Steve

2dogs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2dogs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:49 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:14 pm
2dogs wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:16 am Has anyone got the the fitting instructions for this?
I’ll send them across terry
:thumbsup:
Blue Z4MC - now gone

DaiC

Post by DaiC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi srhutch,,
Thanks for the info & links ,, I’m on nightshifts this weekend but will get straight on with instillation on my days off 👍