Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Whisky isle tour, Sept 2011

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Nosa

Whisky isle tour, Sept 2011

Post by Nosa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm

After the success of the Skye trip/meet I feel inspired.

I am suggesting a trip to the Isle of Islay in Summer 2011. I appreciate we will have the national meet in the lakes next year as well which I also intend to be attending. Was thinking maybe around mid to late August 2011 for Islay.
This would be a 2 night trip both Nights being on Islay, The drive down to Kennecraig is worth the trip alone, it has some of the the best scenery in Scotland and a great road. Whilst some (most) of the roads on Islay are not best desighned for Speed as the majority are built over Peat bogs and as such can be a bit lumpy, Islay itself is stunning. If there is enough Interest I would be looking to get a few things organised whilst on Islay, such as distillery visits. I will also be contacting the Airport on Islay to see if we can get on the Airstrip.
Costs. Ferry is roughly a two hour crossing Not sure about costs just yet, think it is about £60 for car and 2 people each way but will investigate furter.
I appreciate this is a year away but I thought If I could Gauge if there was enough Interest just now then I could start to look to get things in Place and Plan the whole thing out.
Could we use this thread for discussion / Ideas. If it looks like a green light I would start a fresh thread closer to the time.

http://www.armin-grewe.com/islay/islay.htm
Plenty of other sites on Islay but I like this one, I already have a campsite and a couple of Hotels in Mind.
Last edited by Nosa on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Isle of Islay summer 2011 discussion

Post by a11y » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Absolutely and most definately put my name on the list :)

A discussion thread seems to be the best way of doing things, then putting a new/details thread up nearer the time. Avoids confusion. I mentioned your idea to Mrs a11y last night and we both like the sound of this: an even more social meet with a bit more "tourist" time to take in the surroundings. I felt bad at the lack of time we had on Skye at the weekend and would've preferred more time for those who'd not been before to explore the place, but I don't think folk minded the driving.

The only problem I anticipate is both of us getting the time off work together for something like this, but shouldn't be problem once dates are set.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:02 pm

I'll be keeping an eye on this too :)

although we would have to be around for longer than 2 nights for us to make the trip worthwhile - just not sure where mrs gannet would like to holiday next year...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Shooter

Post by Shooter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:16 pm

So will i.
It's been a while since i wanted to organize a trip to either Islay or Skye or anywhere where fine whisky is produced (forgive me if i make any mistakes in locating those places, i'm not even from the right country, you know :D ).
This could well be my "big trip" of 2011 with the Z.

That is, if you accept people of my kind, driving on the wrong side of the road and all... :driving:
Image Roadster, Monaco blue. Stubby | ZHP Knob | M3 CSL brake discs | M3 CSL brake calipers | M3 CSL exhaust manifolds | Goodridge SS brake lines | Tuned exhaust silencers

Nosa

Post by Nosa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Shooter wrote:So will i.
It's been a while since i wanted to organize a trip to either Islay or Skye or anywhere where fine whisky is produced (forgive me if i make any mistakes in locating those places, i'm not even from the right country, you know :D ).
This could well be my "big trip" of 2011 with the Z.

That is, if you accept people of my kind, driving on the wrong side of the road and all... :driving:
Everyone is welcome, (even Taz x) would be great to see you there. :thumbsup:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:29 pm

oiy :poke:

Nosa

Post by Nosa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:32 pm

:wink: You know i love you really :wink:

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Nosa - As mentioned in the Skye thread, I'll be keeping an eye on this one. The longer the trip is, the more notice the better, so i'd suggest you propose dates early'ish.
p.s. And book weather like you had during the Skye trip too please!
p.p.s. The mrs is also interested, and would love to say hi too! The kids say hi to Siftah, as they've already met him (and others) at the Lakes meet. :)
Last edited by Guiseley on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:17 pm

I was working very very very hard when I heard my phone ring.

Pulled it out of my pocket and it was Mrs G "I've just been on the forum, there planning a trip next year, are we going?"

Not sure what I was more surprised at the fact she wants to go or she has been lurking round the forum, look's like I might to have to watch what I'm saying.

Anyway upshot is, if I'm in country then we are definately up for it. :thumbsup:
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Nosa

Post by Nosa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Guiseley,
Yup, At the moment I am proposing Mid to late August, Don't want to specify any particular dates as it might rule people out, The idea of the thread is for people to say no cant make it August or when ever, as august is prime holiday time, August is only a suggestion.

As for the weather, Well I can only Gaurentee that if PawnSacrifice is coming up for it. :thumbsup:

Obviously at the moment I am not looking for anyone to commit but merely to say things along the lines of "Will be up for it if dates suit" etc, as said merely trying to Gauge interest level.
I am looking at making this a two nighter but there is nothing stopping people from either staying over longer if they wish or perhaps incorperating the meet within a longer tour of Scotland, For example when getting back onto the mainland maybe heading up the west coast for Skye etc.
So if people already have summer holidays booked in August and still would like to come to this then let me Know when your not available if you already know.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :driving: :driving:

Nosa

Post by Nosa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Richard G :rofl:

Message for MrsG Mrs Nosa says Hi.

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Nosa wrote:Richard G :rofl:

Message for MrsG Mrs Nosa says Hi.
That's it, we definately need a "z4-forum widow's" subforum on the site :rofl:

Mid/end Aug suits me best. We're already planning to be away for 3 weeks or so in June/July around Europe (in the van, not the Z4 unfortunately) so Aug would be better. Just bear in mind that the Scottish schools return mid-Aug so might rule some folk out perhaps.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm defo up for this. As long as you leave the midge hood at home Nosa...

Ally, I wouldn't worry about us not having longer up on Skye - I'm still beaming after getting a chance to do all that driving over the weekend!

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:05 pm

could be up for this....depending on dates .... the downside a whole year away... :cry:
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Nosa

Post by Nosa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:19 pm

ZermattV wrote:could be up for this....depending on dates .... the downside a whole year away... :cry:
You made that sound like you had a choice :? Your our northern representative, You and Mrs Z will be there.

In fact Mrs Nosa Says everyone who was on the Skye meet is expected to make the effort and be there, Remember Guys she is not called SWMBO for nothing.. :lol:
And we need that extra splash of Blue in the mix , breaks the line of silver and grey up nicely I think. :evil:
Would be nice to get some black , white, merlot types in the mix as well. :thumbsup: