Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

European Tour 2012 – Fantastic Opportunity 1st - 9th June

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi Guys and Gals

After speaking with Tom I felt it appropriate to do a dedicated thread on our Euro Trip as to me it seems fantastic opportunity and at a great price the trip involves some of the best roads in the world and this whistle spot tour includes 4 countries in just over 7 days with a group of link mind car enthusiasts along the way for company.

For me it was perfect as the Monday and Tuesday are bank holidays so therefore the trip has only cost 3 days leave which is awesome!

There is a good mixture of other drivers which of course included myself , Tom and Nick. Also Lotus , 350z’s to name a few so far the pack is circular 10 cars.

Previous Thread: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&start=45

Overview:

Friday the 1st June

Dover to Dunkirk or Newcastle to Amsterdam

Majority are leaving on the Friday to get a good night’s sleep , but some guys who are a little closer to the ports are leaving early in the morning.

If you take the Dover Crossing we plan to stay just outside Brussels.

The Ferry Cost form Dover to Dunkirk and Back again on the Saturday total cost was £64.00 of course this will increase closer to the time.

Group form the South are staying at the Campanile Hotel Brussels – Vilvoorde – Brussels which is only £53.00 for the night.

Saturday 2nd:

We leave Brussels to meet up with the convoy on way thought Germany to our eventual destination of Salzburg in Austria. This now leave a chance to catch up and have a few beers/softdrink and take in the sights

Sunday 3rd

It will be an early start, drive to the Red Bull Ring at Spielberg to watch the DTM race (our petrolhead fix!) After the race we drive 40 miles down the road to spend the evening in Graz.

Monday 4th

Graz to Innsbruck

The next 3 days above will include the best roads on the planet. Alpine pass' hugging the snowcovered peaks, cutting through the forests along the base of the valleys. Too many good roads to list but it includes a number of the ones TopGear used on their special a few years ago, San Bernadino and the Stelvio to name a couple. (those aren't the best roads on this trip mind!)

Tuesday 5th

Innsbruck to Feldkirch (near Davos)

Wednesday 6th

Feldkirch to Bern,

This will be an excellent to time to relax and recount the previous 3 days driving over a few cold beers/soft drinks. Along the way will be some breath-taking views and roads with some fantastic photo opportunities along the way… maybe even win the forum photo completion in June!

Thursday 7th

We will drive out of the Alps and into the Black Forest to Freiburg

Friday 8th

Short drive over to Stuttgart to see the AMG and Porsche museums

Saturday 9th

We will leave Germany and head back , some driver are staying on another night in Karlsruher but the Ferry we are catching back is the 20:00 Dunkirk - Dover ferry that evening to allow a relaxed drive at a steady pace. But as with all of this the choice is yours.

So what does the Route Look Like:

2200 Miles of the best roads in the Europe if not the world!

http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NDkuMzExM ... 3A9MH4wfjB+

Need a better reason to go?:

This is the link to the Top Gear special a few years ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUF-N8BsBmU

Previous Tours curiosity of TomTvr event organiser:

2010 trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYEyu8ofUb8

Compilation of our 2010 and 2011 trips : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQ9zx7MiLM
2011 Tour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3oUxXPWDIw

So an overview:

2200 miles ! 5 Countries ! 8 Nights!

Friday: Dover - Dunkirk - Brussles OR Newcastle - Amsterdam (whichever is easiest)
Saturday: Brussles/Amsterdam - Salzburg (two convoys merge around Cologne)
Sunday: Salzburg - Spielberg (watch the DTM race at the Red Bull Ring) - Graz
Monday: Graz - Innsbruck*
Tuesday: Innsbruck - Davos*
Wednesday: Davos - Bern* (*these days we take on some of the finest roads in the world)
Thurday: Bern - Freiburg (via the Black Forest)
Friday: Freiburg - Stuttgart (Posche/AMG museums)
Saturday: Stuttgart - Home OR Stay for an extra day in Stuttgart

Possible FAQ’s:

Is the trip for guys only? No not at all -

Majority of us are bring wife’s and partners more the better to create a fun environment with likeminded people.

It sounds all you do is drive! ? No not at all – Quote form Tom.

“As you can see I've not crowded the itinerary with loads and loads of things to do. Obviously there’s a vast wealth of culture to sample along the way, food, drink, music and sights. But after doing a few of these trips I find its a bit of a chore to try and cram too much in one trip”

“There’s a huge difference between driving to work late on a Monday morning and cruising through the Alpine basins (obviously), personally I find it therapeutic to contemplate life in such spectacular surroundings! Another reason why i prefer not to plan too many other things in advance for our destinations, we don’t need to rush at all - we can say "ooh look that’s a nice lake, let’s stop for an ice-cream" without worrying about getting anywhere for a certain time. So despite being behind the wheel a lot, it’s very relaxed.”

What if Dover or Newcastle is not convenient? No Problem

You have lots of options to get into Europe. Because we have a split between the people from the north, midlands and south who are all crossing the water via different methods, the plan is to meet at a services near Cologne (Google maps 50.898858,7.150865) at 12 noon local time on Saturday june 2nd.

So as long as you can get to the meeting point any port is fine.

What if I want to get away from the pack?
No problem

It’s your time and your Holiday do want you want, there a basic route set just come along and meet back up, enjoy it!

What do I do once we get there what is there to do? – Quote from Tom

“.Salzburg for example is a beautiful medieval city, home of Mozart so definitely worth a wonder around and similar can be said for Graz which has the Schloßberg fortress

Innsbruck is situated on a flat plain surrounded by mountains, last time i went there we sat in a square next to the university and watched the sun go down whilst enjoying many beers. Its an unusual sight looking up at a 45 degree angle to see the sun disappear, as is looking at the lights from the houses in the mountains as they merge with the stars once it gets dark.

Bern has a crystal clear meltwater river running through it, last time we spent the morning chilling out in the central park and swimming in the river. Bern also has a cathedral with one of the highest spires in europe. Stuttgart has endless things to do.”

But what about the fuel!!! Do not worry!

The experience on the Bmw Z4 Roadster 3.0 –

The last 3 trips I’ve averaged 36, 37 and 35mpg (measured brim - brim) with the car rammed full of camping gear and 2 peoples luggage, the motorway cruising more than offsets the fuel used burning up the mountains. The N52 engine is expected to produce even better mpg!

Cost:

Based on myself and my wife the total cost came to £530 all in , this can vary regarding location but a budget from £530 - £650 is realistic. So £265 – £300 per head. Your other costs will be petrol and foods etc, Remember this a DIY version the same thing with companies cost is excess of £1500+! to arrange so it been offered for cost price

But the later you leave the more the price will go up!

Further Information:

If you are interested please do not hesitate to contact Tom or myself I have all the hotels I used listed and Tom has another list as well. This really is something you must “tick” in your life boxes guys get on board!

Forum Members Confirmed:

1. TomTvr - BMW Z4 3.0 Roadster E85
2. Paza3 - BMW Z4 3.2M Coupe E86
3. Nickm - BMW Z4 35is E89

Thanks for your time reading the post, and hopefully look forward to meeting more members on this fantastic Euro Tour!

Kind Regards

Patrick :thumbsup:
Last edited by Paza3 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nickm

Re: European Tour 2012 – Fantastic Opportunity 1st - 9th Jun

Post by Nickm » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:22 pm

Great write up mate....and yes I can't wait to get to June!!!!

Just got to watch our speeds in Switzerland!!!! I don't want my car confiscated and on the first plane home!! :rofl:

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks mate

Can you imagine .... first few days in the car gets impounded! :lol: one word.......... gutted!

I have been particularly bored today so decided to do it ... so instead of just spinning around on a chair I decided to do something constructive! :D

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Job well done.....it will be a great trip and even though I'm on my own, I can't wait.

But there is one thing you don't know.....and this may be tough, I don't drink, so don't expect me staying up. Late on our boozy nights!!! Good food, my car, a little shopping, cleaning the car, and I'm happy!!

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:20 pm

I have made a little edit for you :D , no worries am not a massive drinker especialy with the daily driving :driving:

tomTVR

Post by tomTVR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 am

I AM a massive drinker :evil: however on these trips I tend to take it steady on the brewskies as I find a hangover somewhat taints the enjoyment of the next days driving!

Nice writeup Patrick, I'd say you have covered all the bases :thumbsup:

It's not a lot of money either when you look at where we are going and the places we get to visit.

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:07 am

It's hard to imagine it now, but it will be the middle of summer...shorts, t shirts and bikinis (not me....your women!!) haha

I think my cleaning gear will take up some of the room, although I'll be discreet with my guilty pleasure and try not to embarrass you guys!!

tomTVR

Post by tomTVR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Nick I can't wait to see you labouring away on your white paintwork when we get to Salzburg after 700 miles of motorway bug-splatter :D

jonnyfive

Post by jonnyfive » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Nick if your wearing shorts with those short fat hairy legs of yours ,that will be embarrassing enough :rofl:
Live life on the edge or you are taking up to much space!

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 pm

jonnyfive wrote:Nick if your wearing shorts with those short fat hairy legs of yours ,that will be embarrassing enough :rofl:
Surprised you noticed them round your mrs when you walked in on us..... :poke:

jonnyfive

Post by jonnyfive » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:56 pm

She didn't either :P
Live life on the edge or you are taking up to much space!

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:14 am

Gotcha!!! You tractor driving caravan dweller!!?

tomTVR

Post by tomTVR » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Here's where we're going

Guiseley

Post by Guiseley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Jeez is that 5th photo a road or a ski run! - looks epic :driving:
Blue Z4C now long gone, as is it's replacement, and the Red Zed's gone too.. now piloting a rather tasty Carmine flat6

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:48 am

Great pics Tom thanks :thumbsup: