Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Spokey's Guide to Cruise Etiquette

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
spokey

Spokey's Guide to Cruise Etiquette

Post by spokey » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:14 am

Introduction

As there are a large number of newbies who are discovering the joys of going out on cruises, as well as numerous older hands who might do with a refresher, I thought I'd cobble something together. I’ve also tried to cover a couple of things that aren’t generally thought of.

It may seem like a lot to take in, but really, you only need to observe the relevant section for the phase of the cruise that you are in. Once you have registered your interest, for example, you can forget about that section until you register for your next cruise.

This is not intended to be prescriptive -- you will not get thrown off the cruise if you don't follow these guidelines! :lol: I just thought it might help people get some confidence beforehand and share some of the things I've learned.

Before the Cruise

Registering your interest

Please register your interest! Let the cruise organiser know if you are interested in attending, and confirm your attendance as soon as you can. Don’t just pitch up on the day unless the cruise leader says it’s OK. If no-one registered their interest and just pitched up on the day, the leader might not think it was worth going ahead and might cancel the cruise!

To register your interest, the cruise leader will generally need:
* Your forum handle (so that s/he knows who you are)
* You real name (so that s/he knows who you REALLY are)
* Your passenger’s name (if any – so that s/he has an idea of numbers)
* Your car model (so that s/he can count up before leaving)
* Your car colour (so that s/he can count up before leaving)
* Your car’s registration number (so that s/he can tick you off the list in the car park)
* Your mobile number (so that s/he can call you if you are late or get lost)

It is a good idea to include all of these in a single PM or email with the event you are registering for, to make the cruise leader’s life easier.

Meals

If the cruise involves a meal at some point and there is a menu posted, please let the cruise organiser have your menu choice at least THREE WORKING DAYS before the cruise. Sometimes pubs or restaurants have to specially order in extra quantities for a group, and they need a working day to place the order and a working day to get delivery.

On the Day

Starting time

The cruise leader will advertise a start time. That is the time when they intend to leave, by which time you should have been to the loo, filled your car, taken any photos, chatted and had breakfast or whatever. Arrive in good time for all these activities to occur -- half an hour before departure is recommended.

Fuel

Generally the runs are based around the cruise leader’s car’s range. It is a very good idea to make sure that your car’s tank is as full as possible before you arrive.

Most cruises start at or very near to a service station, but do make sure that your car is full, as it can be disruptive to have to break from the planned route to fill up, especially when there are many cars on the cruise.

Money

Most cruises will include a meal, and things like ferries and so forth are not unheard of. Make sure that you have sufficient money to cover your meal and incidentals, as many of these will not be something that can be covered with a debit or credit card.

Personal Mobile Radios

It is quite common for regular cruisers to have a a PMR or walkie talkie. It is a good idea to have one so that you can hear where the cruise leader is going next, they can be useful while overtaking is required and you may also be able to relay when everybody is through a junction. However, in my experience, they can be difficult to hear and as not everyone will have one, they are of limited use. If you want to invest in a PMR, make sure it has the sub-channels as well as the main channels.

The cruise leader will advise what channel to use before the cruise.

Handouts, etc.

On day runs it is unlikely that there will be handouts or notes of any kind. The cruise leader might provide handouts of some form or description, but that is entirely at their discretion. On longer cruises, it is not unusual to receive a handout or pack of some sort. If this is a concern for you, you should discuss it with the cruise leader.

On the Cruise

Lights

In order that the cruise leader can easily tell where the tail of the cruise is, it is recommended that the last person puts their lights on. Please DON’T put your lights on if you aren’t the last person in the queue. (If the weather is bad, then obviously everyone should put their lights on! :roll: )

Cruise Order

The cruise leader will be in front (obviously), after that, it is recommended that people who know their cars well and are comfortable with a good pace go at the back. If you are new to cruises or are not comfortable with things like taking the racing line through corners, it is probably better to go towards the middle / front of the queue. There is no need to prove anything. The people at the back can then hang back and "catch up" without fear that the cruise leader will leave them behind somewhere.

Not everyone is comfortable with spirited driving. However, it can also be quite frustrating for an experienced cruiser to get stuck behind someone who brakes in the wrong places or otherwise makes the drive less enjoyable. Consideration for both types of drivers is important!

Cruise Pace

A cruise is not a race!

The pace of the cruise is generally defined by what the cruise leader considers to be safe. This includes the condition of the road, weather, traffic, visibility and many other factors.

Please bear in mind that everyone’s cars are different: Z1s, Z3s, Z4s and Z8s all have different performance and handling characteristics, and many cars have performance and handling modifications as well. Do not assume that because you can go around a corner at a certain speed that everyone else can!

Consideration for the other cruisers is important. Some people will want to be “on it”, others will be taking it more gently. Neither is right or wrong.

The cruise leader will not leave anyone behind and will always strive to gather up at junctions, so you will not get lost if you are in a more gentle mode.

Some cruises will also have a “sweeper”, someone else who knows the route and can gather up people who are left behind and bring them to a known meeting point.

Following Distance

Cruises will generally be travelling at some speed, and it is important to maintain a good following distance, especially as the roads will sometimes not have good visibility and crash stops due to traffic, animals or farm equipment are not unheard of.

Overtaking Each Other

If you genuinely feel you are being held up by someone and it is spoiling your enjoyment of the cruise, I recommend the following: flash your lights slowly, clearly and distinctly, three times. The person in front should then indicate and allow the person behind past WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO! However, if the person in front feels uncomfortable due to prevailing road conditions, they should not do anything.

The person behind should NOT crowd the person in front, it will only spoil the run for both of you. Consider dropping back and then taking a run up and catching up, then dropping back again. This is acceptable behaviour if you cannot safely overtake.

If there is good visibility at a junction, it is a place to consider asking to be let past again.

Overtaking Traffic

The cruise leader will decide whether it is worth the challenge of overtaking slower moving traffic. If you have already overtaken, and it is clear to overtake, it is a good idea to move into the oncoming lane as a signal to people behind that it is safe to overtake. If you see the cars ahead of the obstacle sitting in the “wrong” lane, it’s a signal to you that it is safe to overtake. When they move back into the correct lane, it’s either because it’s not safe to do so, or because you should have enough visibility to make your own mind up. If you don’t have enough visibility, then assume there is an incoming car!!!

If the cruise leader and other cruisers have overtaken, you should try to do so as well, as soon as it is safe to do so. Keep your eye on the cruisers ahead for clues that it is safe to overtake.

The final decision to overtake lies totally with the overtaking driver. Any help or indication from a cruiser in front is purely as a favour and they cannot be blamed for wrong information or a bad decision.

When on the wrong side of the road showing cars behind that it's OK to overtake, be careful that you don't watch the mirror more than the oncoming traffic!

Also, when giving this kind of help, indicators are extremely important. Indicate right continuously when you're on the wrong side of the road and it's safe for cars behind to overtake the obstacle, and then left to show that you've got to move back for whatever reason.

Finally, once you have overtaken someone, please make sure that you leave a big enough gap for people behind you -- don't overtake and then sit just in front of the car you have overtaken!

Overtaking the Cruise Leader

Don’t!

Road Manners

It is much easier for all concerned if the cruise stays together. Do NOT let people into the convoy if at all possible, as this will only cause disruption and overtaking later on. Try to stay line astern as much as possible, including when passing cars in a single file, such as on a road where oncoming traffic has to stop to let us past.

Junctions

When you come to a junction, make sure that you can see where the person in front went, but also make sure that person behind you can see where you went. Stop safely and visibly if necessary.

If the cruise leader is travelling slowly, waiting for everyone to get through a junction, it is a good idea for someone to quickly flash their lights a couple of times when they can see the last person is through the junction. This tells the cruise leader that s/he can set off again.

Indicating

As soon as you see the car in front of you put their indicator on for a junction, you should do the same. This will advise people who might not yet have sight of the junction which way to go.

Use of PMRs

In my experience, PMRs are of relatively limited use unless everyone has one. The most common uses are:

1. To advise the direction people should take at a junction. In this case, the cruise leader will repeat the instruction twice "turning left on to A27 to Lewes, turning left on to A27 to Lewes". The sweeper (if there is one) should indicate his acknowledgement by repeating the instruction.

2. To advise for overtaking. However, if not everyone has a PMR, then this is largely useless, which is why I prefer the visible indication that overtaking is OK.

3. For general chit-chat. Try to keep this to a minimum, please, as it is difficult to hear the PMR in a noisy, open car. A social chat can be very distracting.

PMR etiquette is subject for a manual by itself. However, the key thing to remember is that it is half-duplex communication -- more than one person should not be speaking at a time. In general, the PMR will make a clearly audible "beep" when the speaker has finished speaking. Also, remember to wait half a second or a second before starting to talk.

After the Cruise

Photos

Sharing your photos after the cruise is always welcome. However, to minimise the risk of cars being “ringed”, and for other privacy concerns, it is appreciated if you can blank or smudge the registration plates so that they are not recognisable.

It turns out this is a controversial and unpopular recommendation. If you don't want to do it, don't do it! The important thing is to post your pictures afterwards!

Comments

This is a work in progress, based very much on my personal feelings and experiences. Comments are welcomed, either privately on PM or email.

This document does not necessarily reflect the opinions of z4-forum.com or anyone associated with it!
Cheers,
Spokey
Aebous wrote:
lacroupade wrote:
Aebous wrote:Does dating your car count?
Only if it involves something unpleasant to do with your tailpipe.... :rofl:
I wouldn't call it unpleasant :?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spokey's Guide to Cruise Etiquette

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:32 am

Nice one Spokey, but some of your text is tiny
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:50 am

sp3ctre wrote:Nice one Spokey.
:thumbsup:
Some of the same info can be seen here as well...
http://www.eastpazscca.org/planning.html
One difference on this side of the pond is as a general rule all cars in the Convoy have lights on...
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

bigshurv

Post by bigshurv » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:10 pm

All that sounds spot on, couldn't think of anything else to add.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:17 pm

WLH wrote:
One difference on this side of the pond is as a general rule all cars in the Convoy have lights on...
Interesting. I very often lead groups and I like to see the back marker via the lights, so when I see lights turn the corner, I know I have the complete group. During bad weather etc when everyone has the lights on, I have no idea anymore.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 pm

pvr wrote:
WLH wrote:
Interesting. I very often lead groups and I like to see the back marker via the lights, so when I see lights turn the corner, I know I have the complete group. During bad weather etc when everyone has the lights on, I have no idea anymore.
As a general rule most groups encourage everyone to have a GMRS/FRS radio and that way the "sweep" can stay in contact with the Convoy leader. Our local club has extra radios and we make sure that all drivers have a radio. All turns are announced over the radio in advance.

spokey

Post by spokey » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:35 pm

I don't know what "GMRS/FRS" is, but I've tried PMR's and they're crap. You spend half your time asking what the last guy said. But if everybody has a TomTom and you ship out the itinerary beforehand, that REALLY works. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Spokey
Aebous wrote:
lacroupade wrote:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Actually "GMRS/FRS" work pretty well depending upon the brand. They are good for about a 1 mile to maybe 2 miles max. (1.5 to 3 Km) We use cell phones as a back-up with everyone having the convoy leaders cell in the event they get seriously lost.

spokey

Post by spokey » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:38 pm

pvr wrote:I very often lead groups
:evil: Something I will bear in mind when you confirm for the 7th! :evil:

(Hint, hint!)
Cheers,
Spokey
Aebous wrote:
lacroupade wrote:

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun May 03, 2009 12:58 am

Always make sure u blast ur horn till teh tourists move out of the way eh Lucy! :rofl:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Lucy

Post by Lucy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:47 pm

paddy wright wrote:Always make sure u blast ur horn till teh tourists move out of the way eh Lucy! :rofl:
Damn right!! :lol: :lol:

El Turdo

Post by El Turdo » Fri May 01, 2015 7:51 pm

bigshurv wrote:All that sounds spot on, couldn't think of anything else to add.

Picture of a mangina?

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri May 01, 2015 10:04 pm

El Turdo wrote:
bigshurv wrote:All that sounds spot on, couldn't think of anything else to add.

Picture of a mangina?
El Taco returns, digested :P
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri May 01, 2015 10:15 pm

I wondered who'd be first to comment :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri May 01, 2015 10:18 pm

I think this is called self-realisation :D
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone