Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Spokey's Guide to Cruise Etiquette

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Spokey's Guide to Cruise Etiquette

Post by sk93 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 pm

this post should be stickied.... so many people don't even know it exists.
:zzzz:

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:12 pm

sk93 wrote:this post should be stickied.... so many people don't even know it exists.
I just made it a sticky again as I'm pretty sure it was before at one time.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:52 pm

WLH wrote:
sk93 wrote:this post should be stickied.... so many people don't even know it exists.
I just made it a sticky again as I'm pretty sure it was before at one time.
bestest mod ever :thumbsup:
:zzzz:

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Great work Spokey :thumbsup:

A few points from the experience we've had on our organised forum runs based in Newcastle:

I'm surprised that you've stated that hand-outs are unlikely to be provided on a day run? Every Forum run I've attended have had some and as a result Steph and I provide handouts with basic important information e.g. our mobile number in large script, and an outline of the route with major turns and junctions indicated including where the major stopping points are for coffee and lunch. Our recce of routes provides a chance to see where problems might occur and this helps in putting these documents together. I guess it's best if they are not needed but where groups do get separated they can make a big difference.

We also give a briefing at the start of our runs - highlighting arrangements and particular issues to watch for on the run (all get to ask questions as well as contribute to this). All drivers are expected at the briefing before the run starts - Even though it might be repetitive for some of our regular attenders I feel it's vital for all, especially newbies.

It's worth including a request that those who can't make the run or are likely to be late, contact the run organiser so as to save them waiting at the start. (A text will do). Similarly it's important they let the organiser know if they are leaving early.

A road map (regularly discounted at Supermarkets) is useful to have on a run - satnavs sometimes let you down

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:04 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:Great work Spokey :thumbsup:

A few points from the experience we've had on our organised forum runs based in Newcastle:

I'm surprised that you've stated that hand-outs are unlikely to be provided on a day run? Every Forum run I've attended have had some and as a result Steph and I provide handouts with basic important information e.g. our mobile number in large script, and an outline of the route with major turns and junctions indicated including where the major stopping points are for coffee and lunch. Our recce of routes provides a chance to see where problems might occur and this helps in putting these documents together. I guess it's best if they are not needed but where groups do get separated they can make a big difference.

We also give a briefing at the start of our runs - highlighting arrangements and particular issues to watch for on the run (all get to ask questions as well as contribute to this). All drivers are expected at the briefing before the run starts - Even though it might be repetitive for some of our regular attenders I feel it's vital for all, especially newbies.

It's worth including a request that those who can't make the run or are likely to be late, contact the run organiser so as to save them waiting at the start. (A text will do). Similarly it's important they let the organiser know if they are leaving early.

A road map (regularly discounted at Supermarkets) is useful to have on a run - satnavs sometimes let you down

:driving: :thumbsup:
I completely agree,we always give out info sheets on our runs.......
And ditto re the people not turning up....all it takes is a pm or text to the Organisers :thumbsup:

Let's hope we get some runs soon,this weather is awful typical holiday weekend,haha :(
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Cooky3

Post by Cooky3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi all. I have done a few smaller runs and in the absence of radios etc everyone has taken the responsibility to ensure they can always see the car behind them... Helps avoid junction losses and also means you don't leave a fallen man or woman behind...

Might not suit all if there is a Miss (or Mr) Daisy out there... :D
I ain't fallin for no banana in my tail-pipe!
Jester's dead!

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:31 pm

"Cruise Order

The cruise leader will be in front (obviously), after that, it is recommended that people who know their cars well and are comfortable with a good pace go at the back. If you are new to cruises or are not comfortable with things like taking the racing line through corners, it is probably better to go towards the middle / front of the queue. There is no need to prove anything. The people at the back can then hang back and "catch up" without fear that the cruise leader will leave them behind somewhere.

Not everyone is comfortable with spirited driving. However, it can also be quite frustrating for an experienced cruiser to get stuck behind someone who brakes in the wrong places or otherwise makes the drive less enjoyable. Consideration for both types of drivers is important!"

Having done a few runs now I'd thought I'd chip in based on my own observations and much feedback from frustrated individuals..

Certainly out in more open country where other traffic is not the limiting factor to progress over the ground I would add:

1) The management of the running order is often 'ducked' to avoid 'upsetting' individuals, but, the flipside is then that someissues can arise..

2) I'm not sure that having a sweeper 'pushing' the slow guys is a good idea always, for the slower guys, having a car on your tail, even if at some distance can make it feel to them that they are being herded or pushed...I don't think there is a simple answer..

3) Where I think its quite clear is that having people who for whatever set of reasons who are off the pace of the run leader, in the group of cars behind the run leader engenders deep frustrations in those that want to keep pace with what the run leader is doing...

4) People feel awkard about overtaking and usually the person /persons running off the pace seem to have tunnel vision /myopia to the frustrations of their colleagues..

5) Over the course of the run, with the stops, I think it behoves the run leader to pro-actively filter the slower drivers to the rear of the pack, with maybe a faster sweeper who is happy to do that role bringing the rear up..

6) I think the re-iteration of the 'right to overtake' slower drivers , with the correct etiquette maybe needs to be re-emphasised.

Anyway for 2020 I'm going to try that strategy and see what it brings..I may become unpopular..

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Interesting ,
On point 2 ' sweeper ' this can sometimes be redundant , i myself was sweeper on one of the welsh runs, the 3 car in front fell away from the pack and failed to notice they had turned right ,inspite of me hanging out and indicating, went merrily on until he finally saw me flashing and pulled up.
I find it better to have experienced drivers 2 0r 3 ,dependant on group size spaced strategically in the group ,the last one having the odd 2 /3 slower drivers behind and be mindfull of their pace ,and for me its easier to control rather than being a sweeper
as such .
Just my observations.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:36 pm

AlienZed wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:38 pm Interesting ,
On point 2 ' sweeper ' this can sometimes be redundant , i myself was sweeper on one of the welsh runs, the 3 car in front fell away from the pack and failed to notice they had turned right ,inspite of me hanging out and indicating, went merrily on until he finally saw me flashing and pulled up.
I find it better to have experienced drivers 2 0r 3 ,dependant on group size spaced strategically in the group ,the last one having the odd 2 /3 slower drivers behind and be mindfull of their pace ,and for me its easier to control rather than being a sweeper
as such .
Just my observations.
Yes that seems like a good idea! :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:30 pm

I have only been on a few forum runs but have been on many bike runs.
What seems logical to me and seems to work when put in practise is for each individual to make sure they can see at least one person in front and one behind. (obviously if you are at the front or rear you can only keep an eye in front or behind not both)
What this does is keep everybody together. If someone loses sight of the person behind them they slow up a little to let them catch up which in turn makes the person in front of them slow up to keep them in their view also.
This way nobody should ever take a wrong turn as they can always see the person in front and nobody feels pressured to go faster than they are comfortable with to try and catch up. Remember the people at the back have to travel faster to keep up especially if overtaking is limited.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)