Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roundozo's European Road 2016 - update

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Roundozo

Roundozo's European Road 2016 - ITS HERE!!

Post by Roundozo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:35 am

Hi Everyone,

The honeymoon is almost here!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooooooo!!!

We’re setting off on Friday at 12pm for our European tour and I’m pretty much setup and ready to go. There’s a little bit of route planning still to be done but I’ll get this completed over the next two nights, that along with cleaning the zed as one can’t be seen with a filthy car! I’ve been using Garmin Basecamp which has been really useful if you want to plan your own roads and routes.

We set off for the Eurotunnel on Friday lunchtime and begin our tour from Calais. We then head over to Oudenaarde in Belgium to visit some friends and have some drinks in their bar and stay at their place.

After that it’s off to Rotterdam to stay on the SS Rotterdam for two days exploring the city. We then move down to Dusseldorf, followed by Frankfurt. Its then a night at the V8 Motor museum just outside of Stuttgart before heading down to Zurich via the black forest.

From Zurich we head to Lake Como by going over the alps but not before stopping at an alpine roller-coaster near Churwalden. This looks incredibly fun!!

After resting for a few days at Lake Como we head over to Venice and then down to Florence. We then head straight to the coast via Piza and drive all the way to Nice. Nice is our longest stop at 4 days and obviously while we are there we will pay our respects to the horrific recent loss of live. I also plan on taking the car to Monaco purely to drive around the track however I know it won’t be as much fun in the zed compared to an F1 car!

After Nice we head over to Montpellier via the Verdon Gorge, this place looks epic.

From Montpellier it’s up to Clermont-Ferrand (over the Millau viaduct) for a few nights before heading north west to visit Oradour-sur-Glane. After a night here we then head up to Paris for 3 nights staying in a lovely hotel.

After all that its up to Calais for the return home.

I cant wait! As it’s our honeymoon, apart from the odd B&B where needed, its 5* hotels all the way and don’t worry, I’m paranoid about the zed so each stop has its own parking!

:driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :thumbsup: :D 8)
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:43 am

Sounds like one hell of a road trip - don't forget to post lots of pics :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Marlon wrote:Sounds like one hell of a road trip - don't forget to post lots of pics :thumbsup:
It is! Many miles will be put on the zed but also many smiles.

Pictures will follow after the holiday!

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:23 pm

I have only just read all of this for the first time. Sounds great. Hope you have a fantastic time - I'm sure you will.

We should catch up when your back.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:29 am

RickRob wrote:I have only just read all of this for the first time. Sounds great. Hope you have a fantastic time - I'm sure you will.

We should catch up when your back.
Definitely, we should probably try and organise this illusive south coast meet! One day, one day. :thumbsup:

Greg 01

Post by Greg 01 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi roundozo.
Just a thought Monaco in not in the eu so ur insurance may not let you drive there . my insurance wanted extra money just for Monaco san Marino is also like that . :cry:
Ring insurance and ask the question .
I ended up staying in nice and getting train to Monaco as it was not cheap to insure .
Good luck and both have a great time :thumbsup:
Nachtblau metallic 3.0 si auto ,cup holders , whippy back on :thumbsup:

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks for the tip. Pretty sure I am but no harm in double checking!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:02 pm

Roadtrip envy :evil: trip sounds fantastic , in the 4 day Nice part as well as all the big name places be sure to seek out Vence , Paul de Vence & Biot , all great for a wander round & especially nice for meals in the evening
Grasse also worth going to :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Greg 01

Post by Greg 01 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:32 pm

AXA insurance Monaco not included .
Admiral not included .
Direct line not included .
Better safe than sorry .
Nachtblau metallic 3.0 si auto ,cup holders , whippy back on :thumbsup:

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks for the tips Mr wilks. I'm also hoping to get at least one photo for the forum calendar! Lol.

Finished the final route planning back up to Calais now. Garmin basecamp has been a godsend. Otherwise Sat nav would have just taken us the quick way avoiding all the nice bits!

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Just finished cleaning her. Look at that mirror finish! Very happy.
IMAG3407.jpg
IMAG3407.jpg (101.21 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
IMAG3406.jpg
IMAG3406.jpg (86.49 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:08 pm

And we're ready to roll. Who said a two seater is impractical! We've got 3 1/2 weeks of luggage in there!!
IMAG3409.jpg
IMAG3409.jpg (118.65 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
IMAG3410.jpg
IMAG3410.jpg (120.98 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Wow, just wow. No time for a real update as its all sooooooo much fun! Here is our current home before heading off to Zurich tomorrow.
IMAG3537.jpg
IMAG3537.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

Roundozo

Post by Roundozo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Spotted today in the black forest. Unmmmmm, actually the second one I've seen.
IMAG3550.jpg
IMAG3550.jpg (125.27 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

Roundozo

Roundozo's European Road 2016 - update

Post by Roundozo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:26 pm

A little update while I'm sat by our pool in lake como (I'm not trying to make any of you jealous).
IMAG3578.jpg
IMAG3578.jpg (90.87 KiB) Viewed 995 times
So far we've traveled into Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and now Italy. The zed has been faultless (apart from an odd blip of the tyre pressure warning system going red instead of amber, one reset and we haven't seen it again in over 1000 miles). In actual fact the car has improved on its mpg dramatically. Never before have I seen my trip computer telling me over about 340 miles per tank. The other day it went above 500!! Madness!

Roads wise, they've all been an absolute dream. We did have one spout of bad tarmac while heading over the Alps but I suppose with the extreme temperature shifts they get it's too be expected. I've so far been flashed once (that I know off) for speeding so we'll see what comes through the door. Apart from that the zed has thoroughly enjoyed it's holiday on these roads.

Best stops so far? Frankfurt was awesome so was Zurich however a little expensive. At one bar we paid 30 Franks for two gin and tonics!!?!? It still was a great city though. Como is so chilled we love it. Rotterdam was also lovely and you can't beat a water taxi that's basically a jet boat.

Highlights so far? Everything basically. Top of the list was the mountain rollercoaster in the Swiss Alps. Massive fun that was.

I'll write an official blog when I get back but all I can say is if you are thinking of doing a road trip bit are not sure, throw caution to the wind and do it! It's been one of the best holidays so far and we still have two weeks of touring left.

See you all soon fellow zeders!