Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BuzyG's Scottish Adventure Part 2 The Island

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 am

Well after Climbing up Ben Nevis on Friday,

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=87585

Saturday was a pretty quite day. I did eventually drag my wary bones into the Zed and get a few miles in though. Took a trip out to Malaig and back. A very fine road especially the twisty bit in the middle. Reminded me of the loch Lomond road only with decent tarmac and a bit wider :driving:

As promised more Zed pics in this one.

Sunday morning and the Sun was finally putting in an appearance, after a good nights rest there was only one place I wanted to head today.

The Isle of Skye. Not been there since I was 18 on a Geology field trip. That's some time ago, but could have been yesterday, apart from one small change in the middle of the Photo. :wink:

I had a small walk planned, but first off had to get there across the most picturesque place on the planet you can drive a car. I followed the A87 up to Portree and had a lot of fun with a guy on a sports bike. Hopefully did n't upset any locals on the way. :wink:

Then it was back down to tourist pace as me and the Zed took the B885 across to the west coast of the Island and then back towards Sligachin on the A863.

After following the road high above the shores of Loch Harport I turned the nicely warmed leather steering wheel right, on to the B8009, then left into Grunagary. A few miles down the valley into the Cuillins the road swept downhill around a corner to reveal today's walk.

No not up there today. :o The tourist trial along the river in the foreground. :)

To a spot locally known as the Fairy Pools. You can see why. MrsG would have loved this place. (But she was in Bruge with a mate :wink: )

The wild life was a little more familiar than my previous walk up the Ben. But still made me smile.

After a couple of gentle miles walking I found myself on top of a small hill called Am Mam. Only 407m high but what a fantastic panoramic view of Skye from coast to coast to coast. If your up this way this short haul walk is worth every step for the views.

The Black Coillins.

The Red Cuillins.

That's the Sligachin Inn, at the other end off the path. If your staying there just head South West, up the little hill, to find these views. :thumbsup:

The views the other way are just as stunning too. Loch Harport again, where I photographed the Zed earlier. Looks even better from up here.

Time to head back. Still amazing views of the Black Cuillins

And back towards the Fairy Pools.

Then just before the car park, one last delight to the right of the foot path. This charming water fall cascades down from the Forest.

Then it was back in to the Zed to drive the hundred plus miles of gob smacking tarmac back to Fort William and at last, after four days I got to see the Top of Ben Nevis again, for the first time since I cycled this way in 1980.

Easier in the Zed. :wink: What a great car to do a trip like this in. If you have some walking boots put them in the boot and get up there.

Then back to the log cabin to pack up for the 644 mile journey home the next day. . Nice unfussy place to base a holiday from. Very Polish with an interesting little museum dedicated to Polish commandos that trained in the area during the war. Sun still shining.

Monday morning, started out at 05:20 am, fantastic drive to Glasgow. This time not a single car or coach to be seen on the bony bony Banks, so I drove the Loch Lomond road like I stole the car. Then stayed off the motor way to the border. Whished I'd stayed off it all the way back to Cornwall. This was the last photo I took on the trip. It's the M6, somewhere North off Birmingham. At least I had plenty of time to listen to my favorite Cd's and reflect on a great trip. :lol:

Until the Next Time. :driving:

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Wed May 25, 2016 11:56 am

Great Thred :thumbsup: some lovely photos
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 pm

ZermattV wrote:Great Thred :thumbsup: some lovely photos
Cheers ZermattV. Was a greast trip up North.

Check out Part 1, viewtopic.php?f=36&t=87585 if you haven't already. :)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed May 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Great trip by the looks of it - always enjoy your driving threads :thumbsup:
Landscape pics still out number the Zed pics though :poke:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Wed May 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Wonderful trip & great write up :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Marlon wrote:Great trip by the looks of it - always enjoy your driving threads :thumbsup:
Landscape pics still out number the Zed pics though :poke:
Some spots it would have been tricky to get the Zed to. So you will have to put up with Sheep until I get myself a Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane. :P

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Wed May 25, 2016 2:05 pm

It's a great drive to Skye and your photos are great. Never run or walked in Skye but it looks fabulous.

Thanks for the write up and photos :thumbsup:

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:46 pm

Awesome photos, mate! Really selling this Skye trip...
What do folks do for fuel when in those parts, if you're a finicketty bugger like me?
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:51 pm

Been to Skye twice in the Zed and not seen views like the one's you've posted - a walk off the highway looks well worthwhile! :thumbsup:

Fabulous scenery and I'd say keep posting your photos - all part of the Zed ownership experience. :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Thu May 26, 2016 1:37 am

Good one buddy
I did it a year ago as a Scot:)

Glasgow through lomond up trussschs
Way up to fort William
Loch Ness
Cairngorms and loch garten

Stunning and love pics buddy :)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Thu May 26, 2016 8:30 am

Both posts stunning
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Thu May 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks for sharing that with us. Lovely phots. Scotland truly has the Big country feel in a little country. Glad you enjoyed the Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum. I'm headed there again next Wednesday, forecast looks good, I'll be up Glen Etive! :thumbsup:
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu May 26, 2016 5:25 pm

stevo///m3 wrote:Awesome photos, mate! Really selling this Skye trip...
What do folks do for fuel when in those parts, if you're a finicketty bugger like me?
Stevo
The last Super I found was in Fort William. Furtunately you can get to Skye and back, on a tank, from there. So was fine for my one day trip up and back. Looked at several stations on the route and all only had 95ron. :(

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Thu May 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Fantastic write up Buzyg, and your other thread too :thumbsup:

Really must get back up to Scotland this year, it's been a while since I've had a go at those roads now. Those photos - wow !
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:50 am

Great pics and write up BG, a well planned and thought out trip. :thumbsup:

Your last pic of the M6 just sums up that sinking feeling i get when you get back into England after being so far North and after a week of no traffic and the remote quietness it's a back to reality check. I should'nt grumble the Peak District is a great place to live.

Here's to your next outing. :D
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29