Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3 day road trip from north east.

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
bazpro88

Post by bazpro88 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:00 am

got a bit time off coming soon and fancy a bit of a roadtrip up to Scotland.
live in sunderland and just wondered anyone recommend any routes to take.
only plan on doing it in 3 days but don't mind munching the miles as the z is more comfy than taking the bike and less chance of getting soaked.
as little motorways as possible would be a bonus.

PeterZed

Post by PeterZed » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi , the way I go is A1 past Angel Of The North, A696 Carter Bar, thro'Jedburgh, Edinburgh ring road head towards Stirling, Then the A820? to Callendar, Crianlarach , Tyndrum (The Green Welly Cafe and fuel here) Down Glen Coe A82, to Fort William rest stop , next day head towards Spean Bridge A82 and onwards towards Isle of Skye on the A887 .At Skye turn right :D have a run up towards Portree :) :driving: done the route many times now on the bike and now twice in the ZED :driving:
'05 Sterling Grey manual 3.0, boot spoiler , mud flaps , wind deflector,elec memory seats,bluetooth
,satnav, computer,multi function wheel,folding mirrors.matt black rad grills MV3 wheels , and yes cup holders :-))

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:33 pm

I'm a relative newbie to the Scotland roads but after 2 trips in 12 months already have my favourites
For such a short trip but already quite close to the border my choice of route for the first time to see as much as possible & get a feel for returning or not would be heading up through Kielder towards Pitlochry , then into the Cairngorms on the Old Military rd via Glenshee ski station , Braemar , Balmoral to Inverness ( we stayed outside at Findhorn )
Day 2 , You could go via Applecross before heading back down via Loch Lomond , Glencoe , Fort William & stay overnight at Loch Lomond ( we stayed overlooking the lake in Balmaha http://www.theoaktreeinn.co.uk/)
Your day 3 homeward I would probably hit the Mway south past Penrith then go to Hawes before heading through the Pennines home :driving:

Have a watch of this for a taster :thumbsup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkAT82-R0S8
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:34 am

PeterZed wrote:Hi , the way I go is A1 past Angel Of The North, A696 Carter Bar, thro'Jedburgh, Edinburgh ring road head towards Stirling, Then the A820? to Callendar, Crianlarach , Tyndrum (The Green Welly Cafe and fuel here) Down Glen Coe A82, to Fort William rest stop , next day head towards Spean Bridge A82 and onwards towards Isle of Skye on the A887 .At Skye turn right :D have a run up towards Portree :) :driving: done the route many times now on the bike and now twice in the ZED :driving:
Decent route but I'd avoid Callander, the road you want is the A84 from Stirling but just North of Blair Drummond take Road to Aberfolye and take Dukes Pass back across to Kilmahog just north of Callander, better and quieter roads and amazing scenery. There's also a 3 lochs forest drive worth taking, takes about an hour on a gravel road at 10 miles an hour but well worth it!
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:36 am

Map to help.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 767 times

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:39 am

And photo from forest drive.
I'm actually going here again tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.23 KiB) Viewed 767 times

PeterZed

Post by PeterZed » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that route, just came back from my annual pilgrimage in July and seeing that photo want to turn around and go back :D :driving:
'05 Sterling Grey manual 3.0, boot spoiler , mud flaps , wind deflector,elec memory seats,bluetooth
,satnav, computer,multi function wheel,folding mirrors.matt black rad grills MV3 wheels , and yes cup holders :-))

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:13 pm

PeterZed wrote:Thanks for the heads up on that route, just came back from my annual pilgrimage in July and seeing that photo want to turn around and go back :D :driving:
Plenty more where that came from! :thumbsup:
And once a year certainly isn't often enough! :driving:

bazpro88

Post by bazpro88 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:24 pm

cheers guys exactly the type of advice I was after.