Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Therapeutic run out over Pendle and Beautiful Bowland 13.10.16 (Photo Heavy!)

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:33 am

Over the last few months I have had a few health issues which culminated last week in a short hospital stay. Long story short I am ok and now on the road to recovery. Unfortunately, I wasn't well enough last Sunday to attend Mr Wilks meet/run which I was so disappointed about as I was really looking forward it. However, Ali and I should have been attending a course to do with our fostering yesterday which was cancelled at short notice and so we decided to still take the day off work and to go on a leisurely, therapeutic drive out in the Zed instead.
We headed out mid-morning and as the weather was clear we made for Pendle Hill. We parked up at the top of the Nick O'Pendle and sat drinking coffee taking in the views over Blackburn and across to Winter Hill in the distance.
We then made our way round the south and east sides of the hill through Higham and Barley to Downham where we stopped for some lunch at the Ashetton Arms. I've never driven this way before and really enjoyed the villages and views along the way. Also the first time we have eaten at the Assheton Arms which was excellent...Fish Pie for Ali and the Brisket and Blacksticks Blue Pudding for me...superb !
And so refreshed and replenished we headed off. The road then took us on to Gisburn Forest and up over Bowland Knotts and the Keasden Rd. Great views from the top back towards Pendle and northwards across to Pen-y-Ghent, Ingleborough and Whernside.
We then carried on under brightening skies through Bentham and Wray before taking the Quernmore Rd at Caton. This road runs high up along the very western edge of the Bowland Fells. The views from Jubilee Tower were fantastic. The panorama extending from Blackpool Tower on the southwest horizon round over Morecambe Bay to the Lake District Fells in the north. You could even make out Snaefell on the Isle of Man approx 80 miles out in the Irish Sea !
We stopped further on in the Trough of Bowland for more photos and more coffee. There were only a few other cars passing by and it was so peaceful with the evening sun highlighting the beautiful autumn colours of the trees and landscape.
After a short while soaking up the autumnal 'atmosphere' we carried on through Dunsop Bridge, Newton in Bowland and Waddington. We were now heading for our final stop of the day at Hurst Green, the renowned Stonyhurst College. Now having been a lifelong fan of JRR Tolkiens books and more recently the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit movies then this place and the surrounding area are hallowed ground to me. I have done a few walks in the area visiting locations that he reputedly visited whilst staying at the college in the 1940s but I have never actually seen the building itself. It's a Grade 1 listed building from 1794 and very impressive too.
And so photos taken we headed back to the A59 and home having covered a very leisurely, relaxing and therapeutic 130 miles or so...roof down and fresh air all the way ! We didn't see any of the showers that were forecast either ! :thumbsup:
I know most of the Bowland roads fairly well but exploring round the south and east sides of Pendle Hill was very satisfying and added greatly to the day. Also tried a great 'new' pub.....bonus ! :D
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:16 am

Great photos and write-up mate!
Brings back a lot of happy memories for me having lived in Barrowford in the 90's. The rolling countryside around Pendle Hill is truly magnificent and i'm intending to get back over there with my zed at some point from Holland to re-trace some of my old biking routes!
Btw, what suspension, wheelsize and spacers are u running? Looks really sorted.
:)
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Denis O

Post by Denis O » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:21 am

Great pictures and must have been a marvelous run.

As I was reading through your narrative, the villages and areas you named made me thing of Tolkein and low and behold, you then mention his name and books. Great minds perhaps.
06 Full Fat Range Rover 4.2 S/c

05 Merc SL350

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:56 am

Nice day out. Some great pictures you have there and glad the weather stayed good for you. I love an autumn drive out with the roof down :driving:

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:39 am

Enjoyable write up and pictures. Thanks for posting.
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:47 am

Very enjoyable read, thanks - makes me appreciate the UK again seeing those pics. :driving:

This may sound daft, but this is the first time I've realised the E85 roadster only has one side window ! :oops:

Car looks very sorted :thumbsup:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:55 am

Great write up :thumbsup: Lovely part of the North West too. Glad you're feeling better.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

Lanky Lancs Lad

Post by Lanky Lancs Lad » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:12 am

Very enjoyable read and some nice pictures too :thumbsup: Can't beat some of the back roads of Lancashire!
Plan on a mini cruise with my teenage son this weekend out to Hawes & back using some of your route. :driving:
3.0si Roady '07 Individual Model,
He who has most toys wins....

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:17 am

What a great days roadstering mr P , all my favourite roads , places & the Assheton Arms really can't be beat for location , food & service .
Jubilee tower is great on dry winter mornings , no one around & crystal clear views for miles
Just waiting while mrs w faffs her hair before heading off 100miles round Bala , Caernarfon , Snowdon & Llanberis but id be just as happy heading over Pendle :driving: car looks great :) catch you soon mate :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:36 am

Great driving roads - I recognised most of them, I remember Jubilee Tower as our first ever meet with the Forum guys (mr wilks, Taz, John et al) Looks like you had a great day out; we missed seeing you both last Sunday but there are always other meets to look forward to. Glad to hear you're health is improving. Happy Zedding :thumbsup:
Your car's looking great - can't beat gloss black alloys :)
Last edited by Marlon on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:46 am

Serious envy on you having those roads and scenery. One of the downsides of being in the south east.

Hope that you're on the mend and do many more of those runs. :)
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Wow ! Thanks fellas for all your well wishes and nice comments....greatly appreciated ! It definitely was a special day out. So fortunate indeed to have such roads and scenery right on our doorstep.
Mr Wilks - I hope you have an enjoyable blast round North Wales and look forward to your report and photos. Marlon - to say I was disappointed not to be able to meet up with you guys last Sunday is an understatement but like you say there will always be other meets. The look of your Zed has been transformed by the black alloys and grilles...bet it looks even more awesome with your black hardtop fitted ! :thumbsup:
Thanks also fellas for your nice comments about my photos and my Zed. It is my 'pride and joy' !
Chris_D - with regards to your question I fitted M Sport springs (15mm lower ?) but the rest of the suspension is standard. The wheels are MV3s from a 2006 E90 3 Series. They are 18" × 8j front and 8.5j rear but the offsets are et 34 front and et 37 rear so no spacers required. :D
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !