Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Day out,March 2017

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Highlander

Day out,March 2017

Post by Highlander » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:46 am

Doesn't get vaguer(is that actually a word) than the header but after taking into account the proposed runs for the following months and the locations of those that show interest in a driving day,I should be able to come up with something.
OR offer up a proposed route to whoever wants to head the group......so fire up some ideas and I'll get started.
Can someone also give me an idea of the time format for these days out....i.e. Is it drive for 2 hours then "comfort break"......2 hours then lunch,etc,etc and what kind of mileage is typical for a good day out.I personally prefer a Sat but we'll go with the majority.....let me know your preferred day.

As some of you know(and imply :D ) I'm a "free spirit" so the day might be a bit random.....go with the flow style :rofl:

AlfaScozzesi

Day out,March 2017

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:50 am

As I said in the Trossach thread I am in and up for somewhere different. :thumbsup:

Highlander

Day out,March 2017

Post by Highlander » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54 am

Cool....Anywhere in mind, somewhere you've not been for a while or on the radar to have a look at?
I covered Scotland as a service engineer/installer for Honeywell electrostatic air cleaners so have driven lots of good/scenic roads all over.
You're fortunate to have great routes starting from Spean.....Dual carriageways are a necessary evil for me to get to the start of a good road sometimes.

AlfaScozzesi

Day out,March 2017

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Actually in Aberdeen at the moment and while I am used to the Newtonmore, Aviemore,road for my sons horse riding which is excellent I have to say I thourghly enjoyed the drive through the Spey Valley. Not a lot of traffic until I got within 20 miles of Aberdeen.

I want to do a more Northern runs this year but it's not fair on everyone else and most folk start further South.

Happy to fit in when we see who wants to come. :D

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Day out,March 2017

Post by buzyg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:19 pm

AlfaScozzesi wrote:
I want to do a more Northern runs this year but it's not fair on everyone else and most folk start further South.

Happy to fit in when we see who wants to come. :D
See you in Cornwall soon then. :lol: :wink: :thumbsup:

The mountains are smaller but the Sea views are often even better. 8)

AlfaScozzesi

Day out,March 2017

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

I sometimes yearn for a dual carriageway when tourist season starts and you don't get any further South than Cornwall!!

I was talking about the city folk ! :D

Highlander

Day out,March 2017

Post by Highlander » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 pm

If you get the chance on your return journey from Aberdeen....try and get over Dava moor.Sorry I can't remember the road numbers but you'll turn off around Grantown and eventually end up at Culloden.

Highlander

Day out,March 2017

Post by Highlander » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:13 pm

If it's northern you fancy....how about we meet at the petrol station in Dalwhinnie(little over an hour for me) then head on the old road north to Newtonmore then I think we can pass the Ruthven Barracks and head into the western side of the Cairngorms then up to Grantown on Spey.If you fancy Dava moor again/for the first time then we'll end up at Culloden. Depending on the time,we could go down the quiet side of Loch Ness to Fort Augustus then Spean.....I'd probably head to Dalwhinnie from there and cruise control it home at 63mph :headbang: probably too long a day/dark for Glencoe
I'll time it on another site I use and edit......don't fancy too early a start as these are quiet roads mostly and might be frosty/untreated..........maybe even retrace the route over Dava and old A9 back to Dalwhinnie.

Dalwhinnie to Culloden on rural roads approx 2hours/90miles.....think some of this is a General Wade route to Fort George as I recall a loch in Dava moor with a fortification of some sort built on a wee island.....always meant to go back.......1day.
Any views on that guys........fuel in Dalwhinnie+toilet then grub/banter in Culloden+toilet(making it sound like we're all incontinent north of the border!!)

AlfaScozzesi

Day out,March 2017

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Highlander wrote:If it's northern you fancy....how about we meet at the petrol station in Dalwhinnie(little over an hour for me) then head on the old road north to Newtonmore then I think we can pass the Ruthven Barracks and head into the western side of the Cairngorms then up to Grantown on Spey.If you fancy Dava moor again/for the first time then we'll end up at Culloden. Depending on the time,we could go down the quiet side of Loch Ness to Fort Augustus then Spean.....I'd probably head to Dalwhinnie from there and cruise control it home at 63mph :headbang: probably too long a day/dark for Glencoe
I'll time it on another site I use and edit......don't fancy too early a start as these are quiet roads mostly and might be frosty/untreated..........maybe even retrace the route over Dava and old A9 back to Dalwhinnie.

Dalwhinnie to Culloden on rural roads approx 2hours/90miles.....think some of this is a General Wade route to Fort George as I recall a loch in Dava moor with a fortification of some sort built on a wee island.....always meant to go back.......1day.
Any views on that guys........fuel in Dalwhinnie+toilet then grub/banter in Culloden+toilet(making it sound like we're all incontinent north of the border!!)
Must have missed this the first time but was trying to put dates I my diary and spotted it.

Sorry for the lack of reply but this sounds good for me.

Haven't been on the East side of Loch Ness for a good while.

Anyone else fancy this?

Highlander

Day out,March 2017

Post by Highlander » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:48 am

This is very doubtful for me now I'm afraid,got a lot of family stuff going on.Any spare time I find will be kinda last minute so can't book anything on too rigid a plan for a wee while.....can help out with ideas,etc though.