Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

North Coast 500

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
idej_z4

North Coast 500

Post by idej_z4 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm seriously considering doing the NC500 this year. The roads and views look epic.

It will take a lot of planning, so before I do I was wondering if anyone has done it before and what tips you have.

Cheers!

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by hopz121 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:19 pm

I'm also planning on doing it this year I'll follow this thread :thumbsup:
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by metal licker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:03 pm

This site maybe of help - https://www.northcoast500.com/
If you join they give you a great map of the route
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Nick_in_Suffolk

North Coast 500

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:08 am

I trust the map is better than the one handed out by the Scottish Tourist Board, which was pretty dire (and unavailable in early June last year, we got ours from a helpful B&B owner part way round and used it only to fend off midges; see next comment).

The worst bit is the midges; evil, evil and evil.

Everything else is great to even better than great.

There was an extensive thread on this trip late last year?
G29 S30i in SFR - my wife's car and her third Z
BMW M2C - gone, replaced with an i4, but its only use is shopping, the Z is our main touring vehicle

Long gone, but not forgotten - 1988 E30 M3

jamesditchy

North Coast 500

Post by jamesditchy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:17 am

We're looking at doing it this year in early June. Downloaded the app last week, looks a great route. Can't wait for it :driving:

Das882

North Coast 500

Post by Das882 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:42 am

idej_jedi wrote:I'm seriously considering doing the NC500 this year. The roads and views look epic.

It will take a lot of planning, so before I do I was wondering if anyone has done it before and what tips you have.

Cheers!
I've done most of ithe route on my motor bike , if you are doing it in the high season then booking accommodation is more or less a must, we were struggling to get somewhere in the more remote areas after leaving it late in the day. The other thing is be careful on the single track roads as there are so many blind corners and dips in the road. We were run off the road twice with the bike due to other cars flying round blind corners on our side of the single track roads!! So be aware. Other wise enjoy the stunning scenery.......and bring 'Midgie' repellent!! :lol:
2006 Monaco Blue Z4MC

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by metal licker » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 am

Nick_in_Suffolk wrote:I trust the map is better than the one handed out by the Scottish Tourist Board, which was pretty dire (and unavailable in early June last year, we got ours from a helpful B&B owner part way round and used it only to fend off midges; see next comment).

The map is produced by the site and its excellent :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

idej_z4

North Coast 500

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Das882 wrote:
idej_jedi wrote:I'm seriously considering doing the NC500 this year. The roads and views look epic.

Cheers!
I've done most of ithe route on my motor bike , if you are doing it in the high season then booking accommodation is more or less a must, we were struggling to get somewhere in the more remote areas after leaving it late in the day. The other thing is be careful on the single track roads as there are so many blind corners and dips in the road. We were run off the road twice with the bike due to other cars flying round blind corners on our side of the single track roads!! So be aware. Other wise enjoy the stunning scenery.......and bring 'Midgie' repellent!! :lol:
Thanks for info! Some useful insight here - I hate midgies!

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:02 pm

We were lucky to go with experienced folk but we learnt a bit from each of our NC500 runs last year. . . here's a few comments
I'd get booked up as soon as possible unless you're going early/late in the season. Depends how you want to do it but we managed 3 days for the route with enough coffee/viewing stops. Allow time to get to your starting point - it's a surprisingly long way up to the North Coast :o We had a stay at Inverness for the start of our first NC500 run and Fort William for our second run. 1st run stays - Inverness/Ullapool/Wick/Perth 2nd run stays - Fort William/Ullapool/Grantown on Spey (we missed out sections in the NE on the 2nd run following decisions made by the group) 10am starts after a good breakfast and about 5 hours driving made for well balanced days with plenty of opportunities to stop and stare. . .
The roads are excellent and varied but take care - tight sections, reduced sight lines and wildlife can all cause issues - I found having a brilliant navigator (Steph :D :thumbsup: ) a great help. Heavy goods drivers get fed up with having to pull over at times so I'd let them through on the single track parts - (a lot easier for us to get off the road and out the way and then make up time). There are signs informing drivers to allow others to overtake :o :thumbsup: but be prepared to follow a local (we had a couple of sections where a pick up and a then a Fiesta amazed us by their road knowledge and consequent driving skill in Scotland - then it dawns that it's probably the only one they travel every day hence their insights and speed). The road surfaces are also varied and we had quite a few paint chips and even a damaged windscreen on one car due to stone chippings during our first group run - not as bad on the second run later in the year.
We booked meals at the hotels we stayed at and it was very relaxing being able to spend a great day driving and then park up at a hotel, facing a leisurely bath or shower and then a cooked meal all ready - really convenient and relaxing. (Going out and finding food is fairly easy - though sometimes busy). Have your Zed prepared and checked before the run - sounds obvious but you really are out amongst the sticks on some parts of the route and help and supports going to take time. Mobile coverage is patchy in places. Best to refuel morning or evening for each day. Recharge your camera batteries - you'll use them :D :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Dave1971

North Coast 500

Post by Dave1971 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Nick_in_Suffolk wrote:I trust the map is better than the one handed out by the Scottish Tourist Board, which was pretty dire (and unavailable in early June last year, we got ours from a helpful B&B owner part way round and used it only to fend off midges; see next comment).

https://www.smidgeup.com/

This stuff is the best repellent you will find. I came across it last year when I was up in the Highlands doing some hill walking, I wouldn't head up there without it now.
Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

idej_z4

North Coast 500

Post by idej_z4 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:We were lucky to go with experienced folk but we learnt a bit from each of our NC500 runs last year. . . here's a few comments
I'd get booked up as soon as possible unless you're going early/late in the season. Depends how you want to do it but we managed 3 days for the route with enough coffee/viewing stops. Allow time to get to your starting point - it's a surprisingly long way up to the North Coast :o We had a stay at Inverness for the start of our first NC500 run and Fort William for our second run. 1st run stays - Inverness/Ullapool/Wick/Perth 2nd run stays - Fort William/Ullapool/Grantown on Spey (we missed out sections in the NE on the 2nd run following decisions made by the group) 10am starts after a good breakfast and about 5 hours driving made for well balanced days with plenty of opportunities to stop and stare. . .
The roads are excellent and varied but take care - tight sections, reduced sight lines and wildlife can all cause issues - I found having a brilliant navigator (Steph :D :thumbsup: ) a great help. Heavy goods drivers get fed up with having to pull over at times so I'd let them through on the single track parts - (a lot easier for us to get off the road and out the way and then make up time). There are signs informing drivers to allow others to overtake :o :thumbsup: but be prepared to follow a local (we had a couple of sections where a pick up and a then a Fiesta amazed us by their road knowledge and consequent driving skill in Scotland - then it dawns that it's probably the only one they travel every day hence their insights and speed). The road surfaces are also varied and we had quite a few paint chips and even a damaged windscreen on one car due to stone chippings during our first group run - not as bad on the second run later in the year.
We booked meals at the hotels we stayed at and it was very relaxing being able to spend a great day driving and then park up at a hotel, facing a leisurely bath or shower and then a cooked meal all ready - really convenient and relaxing. (Going out and finding food is fairly easy - though sometimes busy). Have your Zed prepared and checked before the run - sounds obvious but you really are out amongst the sticks on some parts of the route and help and supports going to take time. Mobile coverage is patchy in places. Best to refuel morning or evening for each day. Recharge your camera batteries - you'll use them :D :thumbsup:
That is a fantastic write up and exactly what I was hoping for (along the other insight provided by other forum members)

Really appreciate it - cheers!

srhutch

North Coast 500

Post by srhutch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:We were lucky to go with experienced folk but we learnt a bit from each of our NC500 runs last year. . . here's a few comments
About sums it up Paul. Would love to do again at some point.

Following porkers is what chips windscreens :x

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 pm

srhutch wrote:
Would love to do again at some point.
Absolutely :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by craig3.2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:24 am

Midges in the Highlands can be pretty bad,yet it's not really an issue in most of the rest of Scotland.
The excellent roads in the Highlands make up for it,and if you are in your car,they can't keep up, lol. :driving: :rofl:

Bits of the nc500 are a bit boring,but others.are superb.....But then most of Scotland has superb driving roads.
Spoilt for choice up here,which is nice,and probably why so many people come from the rest of the UK to enjoy them :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by craig3.2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:27 am

srhutch wrote:
About sums it up Paul. Would love to do again at some point.

Following porkers is what chips windscreens :x

Didn't know you had went on those runs,srhutch......
Hopefully in future these runs won't be kept off forum :driving: :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)