Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

North Coast 500

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
jimmybell

North Coast 500

Post by jimmybell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 pm

Prestonese wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:21 pm Seafood is excellent all the way around. The west is much better than the the east and northern sections though.
Where was the seafood! I've a huge craving after a great experience in Croatia recently..! Need me a lobster...
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by MrPT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 am

metal licker wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm If you're looking for some where a bit special try The Torridon Hotel nr Applecross we stayed there on our wedding anniversary during our NC500 hoon its fab but Expensive 8)
DSC01141.jpg NC500 Sept 2016.jpg
You can always stay in a hostel and go to the Torridon for breakfast/coffee. :D Kylesku Hotel is very nice too.

I can recommend Dundonnell Hotel and the Ben Loyal (Tongue) for more of a "friendly 3 star" experience. Plus the A832 south of Dundonnell is an incredible stretch of road to tackle at dawn...
original.JPG
original.JPG (154.4 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
original.JPG
original.JPG (178.65 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
:)
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:51 am

jimmybell wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 pm
Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:27 pm Considering the amount of publicity the "NC500" has been getting we were a bit worried that the roads and campsites would be really busy.
It was completely the opposite. The campsite that we go to all the time in Ullapool was empty.
Anything you'd be willing to share? I'd actually be tempted to try and camp, though if we're doing it relatively quickly it may be better to avoid carrying all the camping gear.
I cant really comment on anywhere good to stay hotel or B&B wise around the route but when we head up that way we always go to Broomfield campsite in Ullapool. It is quite a large, flat, well looked after campsite 10 minutes walk from basically anywhere in Ullapool. Its right on the water at the edge of the village with stunning views.
When we head up there to camp we do not take anything to cook with, all food is bought when we get there whether its breakfast in a pub or fish and chips at night so its basically just a tent, airbed and sleeping bags we take along with a change of clothes.
The only time that I have done the whole route was a mad dash on the bike where we left Paisley and rode directly to Skye and then on to Ullapool where we camped overnight. The next morning we rode right round the coast through Durness to John O Groats and then onto Inverness where we stopped at the first hotel we could find. Next morning rode home.
All you really want is nice dry weather as it is pretty miserable if its wet and the scenery is blocked.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Buckz

North Coast 500

Post by Buckz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:20 am

I'd love to do it! But living in south London means that I would be quite a trip haha.

Prestonese

North Coast 500

Post by Prestonese » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:20 pm

jimmybell wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 pm
Prestonese wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:21 pm Seafood is excellent all the way around. The west is much better than the the east and northern sections though.
Where was the seafood! I've a huge craving after a great experience in Croatia recently..! Need me a lobster...
Pretty much everywhere! It's not difficult to find as almost all the local seafood makes it to the dining table. If you like things like oysters and langoustines then it's great. Lobsters too. I had some excellent meals without planning ahead with bookings but let me know if you need names, and I'll try to dig out my scrap book of locations I had starred on googlemaps.
2007 Z4M Roadster / Ruby black / Red Leather / No Mods

cerbera

North Coast 500

Post by cerbera » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Seems to be a few in this thread going around September this year. I too am hoping to make a trip up mid September, any chance we could make a small group, assuming we're all on a similar timetable of course?

jimmybell

North Coast 500

Post by jimmybell » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:34 pm

cerbera wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:28 pm Seems to be a few in this thread going around September this year. I too am hoping to make a trip up mid September, any chance we could make a small group, assuming we're all on a similar timetable of course?
Imagine we'll be doing most of it on a tight timeline but if it overlaps with a group i'll 100% come say hi, although it wont be in a zed anymore :<
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
--

jamesditchy

North Coast 500

Post by jamesditchy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:42 pm

I'd be interested in this depending on the dates

Truman

North Coast 500

Post by Truman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 am

Me and the Mrs have just got back from doing this in the Zed...All I can say is I'd do it again next week if I could get the time off work..We travelled up and stayed in Sterling then Inverness,over to the west we spent a night in the Loch Maree Hotel near Gairloch,next place we stayed was the BettyHill Hotel (just a pub with rooms really) then the Royal Golf at Dornoch..spent a couple of nights near Glencoe on the way back down and finally a night at the Haweswater Hotel in the Lake District..did about 1400 miles altogether..the weather was really good until Glencoe then we had a bit of rain in the mornings but it cleared up in the afternoon... Never having done it before I was a bit unsure about ground clearance/road surfaces etc but we had no problems at all (unlike the two girls we met near Achanalt who had locked themselves out of their car).

jimmybell

North Coast 500

Post by jimmybell » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 am

Truman wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 am Me and the Mrs have just got back from doing this in the Zed...All I can say is I'd do it again next week if I could get the time off work..We travelled up and stayed in Sterling then Inverness,over to the west we spent a night in the Loch Maree Hotel near Gairloch,next place we stayed was the BettyHill Hotel (just a pub with rooms really) then the Royal Golf at Dornoch..spent a couple of nights near Glencoe on the way back down and finally a night at the Haweswater Hotel in the Lake District..did about 1400 miles altogether..the weather was really good until Glencoe then we had a bit of rain in the mornings but it cleared up in the afternoon... Never having done it before I was a bit unsure about ground clearance/road surfaces etc but we had no problems at all (unlike the two girls we met near Achanalt who had locked themselves out of their car).
Awesome,

What would you say the minimum time you could do this in? I have restricted time off work (or at least.. the Mrs does), and it looks like you took a few days to relax in certain places.
--

Truman

North Coast 500

Post by Truman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:32 am

jimmybell wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 am
Truman wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 am Me and the Mrs have just got back from doing this in the Zed...All I can say is I'd do it again next week if I could get the time off work..We travelled up and stayed in Sterling then Inverness,over to the west we spent a night in the Loch Maree Hotel near Gairloch,next place we stayed was the BettyHill Hotel (just a pub with rooms really) then the Royal Golf at Dornoch..spent a couple of nights near Glencoe on the way back down and finally a night at the Haweswater Hotel in the Lake District..did about 1400 miles altogether..the weather was really good until Glencoe then we had a bit of rain in the mornings but it cleared up in the afternoon... Never having done it before I was a bit unsure about ground clearance/road surfaces etc but we had no problems at all (unlike the two girls we met near Achanalt who had locked themselves out of their car).
Awesome,

What would you say the minimum time you could do this in? I have restricted time off work (or at least.. the Mrs does), and it looks like you took a few days to relax in certain places.
I suppose it's all down to how far you want to drive in a day,we did the actual NC500 in 3 days really,,Sat Sun Mon...but we added a bit on the front and back to make more of a break of it...we met hardly any traffic,you occasionally have to be a bit patient on the single tracks,I have read of people doing the whole lot in a day,fine if you don't want to see any of the sights or visit anywhere I suppose.We made the trip up and down from Inverness part of the holiday..

Crimson_27

North Coast 500

Post by Crimson_27 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:44 am

Prestonese wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:21 pmKinlochewe petrol station. Owner there is an enthusiast and has a Facebook page. Really nice guy and helpful.
agreed , if it wasnt for him id have missed one of the best roads which is about two minutes away from this petrol station. very helpful guy. We did it over 3 days with a couple days each side of the NC500.
3.0l Z4 Roadster, Maldives Blue.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

North Coast 500

Post by Ewazix » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:23 am

We are recently back from touring a truncated version of the NC500 (about 400 miles) but also taking in the Isle of Skye, brilliant trip and restored my faith in finding a decent driving road with little or no traffic at times! :thumbsup:

Even at this end of the season decent accommodation really MUST be booked, and eating anywhere with decent reviews again needs to be booked as well, but worth it.

Apart from the driving, the highlights for us was the seafood, stunning scenery and coastal wildlife. Also finding a pair of blond twins sunbathing on a rock in the Kyle of Lochalsh :)
DSC00314.JPG
DSC00314.JPG (246.7 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
DSC00285.JPG
DSC00285.JPG (164.18 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost