Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Good drive near harrogate

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:46 pm

The wife has booked a surprise weekend away for weekend after next to harrogate. Looking for some suggestions for some good roads up and around that way. Cheers :driving:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 pm

If you are heading up from Liverpool i would go through the Ribble Valley , Trough of Bowland & the Dales starting from the Tickled Trout services ( Preston ) then head for these points on your route .
Ribchester / Whitewell / Slaidburn / Long Preston / Gargrave / Grassington / Pateley Bridge / Knaresborough / Harrogate :driving:

Or if you want a drive from your base in Harrogate head over to Hawes , Ribblehead viaduct , Ingleton via Pateley Bridge , Grassington + Kettlewell :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:02 pm

mr wilks wrote:If you are heading up from Liverpool i would go through the Ribble Valley , Trough of Bowland & the Dales starting from the Tickled Trout services ( Preston ) then head for these points on your route .
Ribchester / Whitewell / Slaidburn / Long Preston / Gargrave / Grassington / Pateley Bridge / Knaresborough / Harrogate :driving:

Or if you want a drive from your base in Harrogate head over to Hawes , Ribblehead viaduct , Ingleton via Pateley Bridge , Grassington + Kettlewell :thumbsup:
Thanks, looks a good route. Any suggestions for a lunch stop, Jay.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:06 pm

jamesditchy wrote:
mr wilks wrote:If you are heading up from Liverpool i would go through the Ribble Valley , Trough of Bowland & the Dales starting from the Tickled Trout services ( Preston ) then head for these points on your route .

On the drive up or the drive out from Harrogate ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:15 pm

mr wilks wrote:
jamesditchy wrote:

On the drive up. We're going up on the Friday morning

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:38 pm

jamesditchy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:15 pm
mr wilks wrote:
jamesditchy wrote:
On the drive up. We're going up on the Friday morning
If your passing through Whitewell it would be a shame not to stop here for lunch http://www.innatwhitewell.com/ :thumbsup:
The fish-pie is absolutely delicious ! :D
The White Bear at Masham (http://www.thewhitebearhotel.co.uk/) just north of Harrogate is very good and right next door to the Black Sheep Brewery with Theakstons Brewery just round the corner too....beer heaven ! Middleham Castle and Richmond are worth a visit. Buttertubs Pass, Swaledale and Tan Hill Inn are all in that neck of the woods also. Spoilt for choice !
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to a good run out a a few nights away :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 pm

The route is riddled with places to stop for lunch , too many to choose from id say :oops:
The Inn at Whitewell is in a great spot but suffers from believing its own hype & doesn't mind charging you for that belief :D generally speaking its brimming with either ten bob millionaires or millionaires :oops:
All depends what time you hit which area but Mitton Hall near Whalley & The Waddington Arms in Waddington are great for pub lunches in scenic spots
The Ashheton Arms in Downham near Clitheroe is also a belter in a stunning village & there,s The Old Hall just outside Grassington :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 pm The route is riddled with places to stop for lunch , too many to choose from id say :oops:
The Inn at Whitewell is in a great spot but suffers from believing its own hype & doesn't mind charging you for that belief :D generally speaking its brimming with either ten bob millionaires or millionaires :oops:
All depends what time you hit which area but Mitton Hall near Whalley & The Waddington Arms in Waddington are great for pub lunches in scenic spots
The Ashheton Arms in Downham near Clitheroe is also a belter in a stunning village & there,s The Old Hall just outside Grassington :thumbsup:
That's a shame Mister Wilks about The Inn at Whitewell :( Haven't been since October last year to celebrate my Mums birthday. We were a party of 8 and had a fabulous time. Great food and excellent service with beautiful views. Not cheap I'll admit but we only go a couple of times a year.
Alison and I went in The Assheton Arms last autumn on your recommendation and as you say it's an absolute belter ! :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 pm The route is riddled with places to stop for lunch , too many to choose from id say :oops:
That's a shame Mister Wilks about The Inn at Whitewell :( Haven't been since October last year to celebrate my Mums birthday. We were a party of 8 and had a fabulous time. Great food and excellent service with beautiful views. Not cheap I'll admit but we only go a couple of times a year.
Alison and I went in The Assheton Arms last autumn on your recommendation and as you say it's an absolute belter ! :thumbsup:
Only jesting on the Inn at Whitewell , certainly wouldnt tell anyone not to go :oops: it does what it does very well but there are many other places worth trying in the area . Mitton Hall a few mins out of Whalley is definitely one of those to put on your list .
Btw , Prince Charles had lunch in the Ashheton last weekend :o the secret must be out :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:20 pm

I'll add Mitton Hall to my 'good pub list' for a future visit :D I heard a 'rumour' a few weeks ago that HRH was visiting the Bowland area....a very close relative works at Lancs Constabulary HQ at Penwortham :wink: High praise and great kudos for The Assheton Arms :thumbsup:

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Just a word of warning. North Yorkshire are very proactive with their speed camera vans. Will put them out on all days, especially weekends.

Just don't want that to spoil your fun.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Had a good drive out today for a weekend in Harrogate. Weather was good as the afternoon went on and we were blessed with very little traffic. Some fantastic roads and the noise from Mike's modified box, especially on the narrow roads with walls either side was great. Loved the 2 litre zed but the replacement is quite a different animal.

Started off on Mr Wilks suggested route (thanks) but then after a look at the map decided to head up to buttertubs pass and it ended up an excellent choice. :driving:
Attachments
Screenshot_20170407-190728.png
Screenshot_20170407-190728.png (270.52 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Screenshot_20170407-190716.png
Screenshot_20170407-190716.png (300.42 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Screenshot_20170407-190656.png
Screenshot_20170407-190656.png (267.8 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Screenshot_20170407-190048.png
Screenshot_20170407-190048.png (314.92 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Excellent stuff Jay ! A fair few miles done there ! :driving: I recognise Pen-y-ghent in your top photo. Had my butties on top of there one New Years Day a few years back....absolutely love the Y.Dales. Is that last screen shot the TMT App ?

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes Si it is the tmt app. Had another great day today. Found some great back roads. Empty of traffic and brilliant weather. They weren't the fastest driving roads as most were single track but the hl climbs and switch backs were great fun.