Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The drive home

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
AlfaScozzesi

The drive home

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Road trip to Cumbria on Thursday to drop off my son at his grandparents for the school holidays.

Nice road to Glasgow and then the motorway slep to Carlisle where it gets fun again. Took the coast road through Aspatria, Maryport to get to Workington.

So far so meh. :(

Set off to go back home today and went the Cockermouth road to Carlisle for a bit of a difference. Had a great wee blast and then..... The motorway. :(

Livened up a bit at the junction of Abingdon services. Coming off the slip road was a convoy of porchses (about eight) with a new Carrera 4s in the lead. :driving:

They were being very well behaved on the motorway but I slowed a bit to see if we could have some fun when we got to the good roads.

Anyway once passed the Erskine bridge the fun did begin. Had a great drive with two of the porsches. A modern Carerra4s and an older version. The modern Carrera passed me coming off a roundabout. I was in third and foot to the floor but he had acceleration to spare. The three of us were by this point away from the rest and I let the older car passed to join his mate. Had a great drive to the top of the hill passed Bridge of Orchy where they pulled in to wait for the rest of their group.

It certainly broke the monotony of the journey and I actually made good time despite hanging back to wait for them through Glasgow. :thumbsup:

Only got one picture waiting at traffic lights.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (158.44 KiB) Viewed 682 times

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

The drive home

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:49 pm

That's a long drive in your coupe - nice to get a break from the monotony :thumbsup:

I've driven with a few Porsches (very active group in Newcastle and very nice guy organising in our region) - they handle well. I was most impressed with the Boxsters though - cornered like they were on rails in comparison to my then 3.0si which felt a bit of a barge running with them; one reason for going M. Really quite fancy one but worried about engine issues in affordable older models - may have to wait a while . . .

Came across these classic Porsches at Carter Bar when out last year - reckon there's some monies worth, air cooled Porsche prices are going mad . . .

[IMG]http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... C_2694.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... C_2681.jpg[/IMG]
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

The drive home

Post by metal licker » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Should have had a blast over Honister when you were in the area 8)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

buzyg
Legend
Legend

The drive home

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Some lovely metal there Paul. 8) Can't believe Alpha Scozzessie let a Porker passed though. :oops: Get some Boudica wheels fitted next time. :thumbsup:

Must get out in my Zed this weekend. :driving:

AlfaScozzesi

The drive home

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Some lovely pictures Paul. I really like an old Porsche but my other half hates them so it will never happen.

Drove a boxter for approx 30 miles when they were relatively new and up until then it was the best handling car I had ever driven. The only other Porsche I have driven is a GT3 for a couple of laps which was different league :driving:

metal licker wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 pm Should have had a blast over Honister when you were in the area 8)
Would have liked to Alan but was only there briefly and have to show face and do the rounds / dinner etc.
buzyg wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:01 pm Some lovely metal there Paul. 8) Can't believe Alpha Scozzessie let a Porker passed though. :oops: Get some Boudica wheels fitted next time. :thumbsup:
I had no choice with the first one :oops:

It was all good fun though the roads were busy we soon got through all the traffic.
Definately noticed having my Winters tyres on with this kind of driving. Need to get them changed back soon.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

The drive home

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm

I was out on brand new MPSS tyres this evening. Just a slow run up to the local Shell station and back about 12 miles. It was like driving on Ice. :o Looking forward to getting some heat into them tomorrow. :driving:

AlfaScozzesi

The drive home

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:40 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm I was out on brand new MPSS tyres this evening. Just a slow run up to the local Shell station and back about 12 miles. It was like driving on Ice. :o Looking forward to getting some heat into them tomorrow. :driving:
I remember when I first put my MPSS on at the wheel refurb place I wheel spun like a t**t at the junction when I was leaving but it was just the tryes non scrubbed surface.

I was very embarrassed :oops:

The Winter tyres grip really well but when giving it the beans they squirm and when going quick it's a bit unsettling :D