Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Border Reivers (Scottish English Border) Run Sunday 17 September 2017

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:16 pm Hello, thanks for everybodies positive words, much appreciated, I was shattered and had to have a large scotch yesterday evening.
(mind you I'm shattered most days and still have a large Scotch)

Looks like I need a new left rear cover for the wheel housing and rear deflector after those high g dips.. :thumbsdown:

Whilst its fresh in my mind, looking to next year, there could be some variations on a theme.

Given the size of the Scottish Borders / Northumberland and the number of good roads its easy to see how two runs could be created without much overlap.

So

1) How do people fancy two runs, each on a Sunday, spread over the year? 8)
2) Or a weekend, based say at Clennell Hall with runs each day? :evil:
3) Stick with one run? :!:
4) Giveup? :fuelfire:

RSVP
1 or 2,whenever they can be fitted in,lol.
Gives us the chance to have one meet every month,from March onwards,until Rich's run in October :thumbsup:

I have a few runs in the pipeline for next year already,as looking at booking for a Weekender meet in Skye/Applecross,etc,
Also looking at doing Dumfries run again,as well as my Borders run.
Plus the Braemar run,that I last did in 2016,hoping to do again in 2018.....
Along with The National,and a couple of Runs from Rich,and yourself,we should have a great ,and plentiful calendar next year :D :driving:

One day is doable for me,but an overnight would-be good too,Peter.
Family duties allowing,haha.
Last edited by craig3.2 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 pm

AlienZed wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 pm Great weekend just arrived home.took a little detour to Hawick ,mrs M wanted to buy some haggis after listening to Ronk :D
Award winning haggis .hmm i cant wait :wink: .
After we headed off to cappercleuch and st marys loch via b711/b709 nice windey roads then on ti moffat via A708 then on to the mway and home.
657 mls great fun.just gotta clean the zed now
Yes,Great roads those Maurice.....the main reason why I will be doing another borders run in that area same as Mays meet this year,for 2018,all going well.
Cracking road up by St Marys ,etc :driving:

Nice run home indeed :thumbsup:

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 pm

MefiEcosse wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:19 pm Options 1,2,3 sound good! :thumbsup:
I was also thinking of a South West Borders run for next year, been testing a few roads whilst travelling with work and got about half a route worked out but happy for someone else to take ownership! :D
Get it planned mate,plenty of roads round the Borders that two meets don't need to be the same.
We haven't even ventured over to Duns and the Jim Clark museum yet.....

With three of us organising meets,we will be able to have one March to October :D :driving: :thumbsup:

Did you get the tracking done today at BMW?

Phone you soon :thumbsup:

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:39 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 pm
I was also thinking of a South West Borders run for next year, been testing a few roads whilst travelling with work and got about half a route worked out but happy for someone else to take ownership! :D
Get it planned mate,plenty of roads round the Borders that two meets don't need to be the same.

With three of us organising meets,we will be able to have one March to October :D :driving: :thumbsup:

There's some decent roads around Duns, especially heading through the Lammermuir hills!
I'd looked at Jim Clark museum but it's not open on a Sunday, might be an option for a 2 dayer like Peter suggested!

Tracking is Wednesday! :thumbsup:
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 am

ronk wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 pm Just throwing an idea into the ring here for future events, there are loads of usernames, real names the faces to try an remember on a run and its sometimes a bit of a memory test - so why not when we submit our :thumbsup: to the organiser via a pm, could we also submit our real name with a thumbnail photo for a sheet with mug the shots for distribution on the day?
Hello Ron, I agree as a newbie to a particular meet its frustrating not being able to connect nom de plumes, real names, faces and cars... :?

There are a few issues:

1) Getting even the basic info for a run leader can be challenging, I speak from personal experience..
2) You would need consent from everyone to disclose that information, at least as a formality..maybe a chage to default assumptions if you turn up for a run?
3) Pictures add an admin burden, but if you had all other details you could then work it out as who gets in each car?

Any thoughts from others / run leaders ?

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 am

May I suggest that those interested in hosting runs in the 'Scottish' area (Meficosse, Craig 3.2, Pbondar and others?), get together via email and create a suggested calendar for next year.

In this way we can:

1) Space things out
2) Make sure we don't clash with other events
3) Avoid known tourist traps / holidays

A simple spreadsheet would suffice, happy to knock one up to get the ball going?

Thoughts?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:09 pm

MefiEcosse wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:39 pm

There's some decent roads around Duns, especially heading through the Lammermuir hills!
I'd looked at Jim Clark museum but it's not open on a Sunday, might be an option for a 2 dayer like Peter suggested!

On the 7th April next year it will be the 50th anniversary of Jim Clarks death and it would be quite fitting to visit the Jim Clark Rooms close to this date.
I'm fairly certain the Rooms in Duns are only open for 6 months of the year from 2nd April to end of October. They are closed on Sunday throughout October only. The rest of the time they are open 2pm-4pm on Sundays.
Alison and I visited on a Saturday back in April on our way up for Craigs Galloway run. We arrived just after 1pm and they close for lunch 1pm-2pm, so we walked into the town for a bite to eat ourselves. It's a lovely town centre/square.
I would definitely like to visit again. :thumbsup:
20170422_122720_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170422_122720_Richtone(HDR).jpg (235.93 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
20170422_153430_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170422_153430_Richtone(HDR).jpg (282.61 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
20170422_150512_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170422_150512_Richtone(HDR).jpg (172.78 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
20170422_151839_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20170422_151839_Richtone(HDR).jpg (278.39 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Great pictures which really needed a red 35iS in them! Wish I lived a little nearer! ... :thumbsup:
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:00 pm

patriot66 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:09 pm
MefiEcosse wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:39 pm

On the 7th April next year it will be the 50th anniversary of Jim Clarks death and it would be quite fitting to visit the Jim Clark Rooms close to this date.
I'm fairly certain the Rooms in Duns are only open for 6 months of the year from 2nd April to end of October. They are closed on Sunday throughout October only. The rest of the time they are open 2pm-4pm on Sundays.
Alison and I visited on a Saturday back in April on our way up for Craigs Galloway run. We arrived just after 1pm and they close for lunch 1pm-2pm, so we walked into the town for a bite to eat ourselves. It's a lovely town centre/square.
I would definitely like to visit again. :thumbsup:

20170422_122720_Richtone(HDR).jpg20170422_153430_Richtone(HDR).jpg20170422_150512_Richtone(HDR).jpg20170422_151839_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Duns is lovely, nice and quiet on a Sunday and a few decent places to eat! I didn't realise the museum was open 2-4 on a Sunday, it's always been lunch time I've been there, wish I'd known!!
Been trying to find my photos but seems some are missing, there's a statue of a bear with this story attached!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (227.2 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (278.98 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 am

May I suggest that those interested in hosting runs in the 'Scottish' area (Meficosse, Craig 3.2, Pbondar and others?), get together via email and create a suggested calendar for next year.

In this way we can:

1) Space things out

A simple spreadsheet would suffice, happy to knock one up to get the ball going?

Thoughts?
Seems like a good plan Peter! :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 am
ronk wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 pm Just throwing an idea into the ring here for future events, there are loads of usernames, real names the faces to try an remember on a run and its sometimes a bit of a memory test - so why not when we submit our :thumbsup: to the organiser via a pm, could we also submit our real name with a thumbnail photo for a sheet with mug the shots for distribution on the day?
Hello Ron, I agree as a newbie to a particular meet its frustrating not being able to connect nom de plumes, real names, faces and cars... :?

There are a few issues:

1) Getting even the basic info for a run leader can be challenging, I speak from personal experience..
2) You would need consent from everyone to disclose that information, at least as a formality..maybe a chage to default assumptions if you turn up for a run?
3) Pictures add an admin burden, but if you had all other details you could then work it out as who gets in each car?

Any thoughts from others / run leaders ?
Possibly send a pro forma to each applicant to be returned with details and an area on it to include a mug shot - and state that the photo with names will be distributed at the start of the run?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Just wanted to say that any meets I'm organising I won't be seeking photos etc.

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:37 pm

A weekend with a run each day sounds good to me :driving:

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 pm

MefiEcosse wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 pm Just wanted to say that any meets I'm organising I won't be seeking photos etc.
Likewise,Rich... no need for photos,lol.

We don't need spread sheets,etc Peter,lol. I keep a note of all dates for Scottish meets
It works fine as it is...just pm me and Rich with your thoughts,and we can sort it out amongst us.
As said,Both me and Rich are in the process of planning various meets,I already have a few in the pipeline.
I have been looking at Dunns,as mentioned....plus repeats of this April and Mays runs i did,as well as Skye/Applecross and doing Braemar run I last did in 2016,for next year.
There are enough months in the year to accommodate all :thumbsup:
Drop me a pm or email with any thoughts,and so we don't clash with dates.

It's good that others want to plan runs,means we can have more runs,as about 4 a year is more than enough for me, haha

Was thinking we could have our first run in March in 2018,then do April,May,Early June(to avoid being too near to the National at end June/Early July)....plus August, September and October.

Hopefully John/sammyz will manage to do a Wales meet next year too,which will mean two runs one month :D :driving:

We can sort it out at some point,Peter :thumbsup:
Nice to see someone else wanting to get involved with organising runs,at one point nobody was stepping up to help :driving:
Last edited by craig3.2 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 am

In this way we can:

1) Space things out

Thoughts?
Peter,the Scottish meets have been running for years,with one person co ordinating things,and a few people organising runs.
So the onus doesn't fall on just one person to organise every meet.

It's been Ally,Adam,Jax,Etc etc over the years,with most of them moving on to have families (Ally),or buying Porsches ,Andrew p took over the mantle a few years ago,but then found himself too busy with work and Navy stuff....then he also bought a Porsche,haha...so I have been co ordinating things since then(2015),with help from Rich and some others when needed,for info,etc.

More than happy for anyone to help out by organising runs,takes the pressure off me a bit.
Just drop me a pm/email and I will make sure we don't have dates clashing,haha

As for the Calendar,Number 5 on the forum was doing one for a while ,for all forum meets/events,but its no more??
If you have the time to do this for the Scottish meets,then that would be good,Peter.
Post a sticky on the forum for Scottish meets/events.
Contact Spectre(Jim) if you need any help doing so :thumbsup:
We can pm/email info,once i get a few dates sorted for stuff in the Pipeline,along with your meets and Rich's
Cheers :thumbsup:

P.s,I have been wishing someone would want to help sort runs out,gives us more meets to enjoy :D
Hopefully Gary will do one in his area too at some point??