Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scotland Trip!

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Sparkybrum

Scotland Trip!

Post by Sparkybrum » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Heading up to Scotland this Friday for a weekend tour around Loch Lomond and the Trossachs. Route takes me from Birmingham to Troon and then from Troon up to Loch Lomond for day one. Second day I'm heading up to Glencoe taking in trips to Fort William and further north to Eilean Donan Castle. Have left the Sunday night free as not sure what route to take back down. Any tips on what routes to take back down on the Sunday or places to stay en route would be much appreciated! Fingers crossed the weather will be good to us!

Pictures to follow.

Regards,

Sparky.
Z4MR
Z435is
Z423i

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Scotland Trip!

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Compared to the wealth of local forum knowledge I'm a Scotland novice but of the 2 trips i have made around the areas you are going to i know that the route through the Cairngorms is one i could do time & time again , its a slight detour for you but i would definitely look to head home east through the Cairngorms down towards Balmoral , Braemar & over the Glenshee ski station towards Pitlochry & can recommend staying over at the Inn on the Tay http://theinnonthetay.co.uk/ :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Sparkybrum

Scotland Trip!

Post by Sparkybrum » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:29 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm Compared to the wealth of local forum knowledge I'm a Scotland novice but of the 2 trips i have made around the areas you are going to i know that the route through the Cairngorms is one i could do time & time again , its a slight detour for you but i would definitely look to head home east through the Cairngorms down towards Balmoral , Braemar & over the Glenshee ski station towards Pitlochry & can recommend staying over at the Inn on the Tay http://theinnonthetay.co.uk/ :thumbsup:
Just had a look and that sounds a pretty good option taking the A9 down it's about a 2 hour drive from Glencoe dependant upon the stops. Good choice of hotel too and a stones throw from the Blair Athol distillery. Will do some further research this week!
Z4MR
Z435is
Z423i

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Scotland Trip!

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Sparkybrum wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:29 pm
mr wilks wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm Compared to the wealth of local forum knowledge I'm a Scotland novice but of the 2 trips i have made around the areas you are going to i know that the route through the Cairngorms is one i could do time & time again , its a slight detour for you but i would definitely look to head home east through the Cairngorms down towards Balmoral , Braemar & over the Glenshee ski station towards Pitlochry & can recommend staying over at the Inn on the Tay http://theinnonthetay.co.uk/ :thumbsup:
Just had a look and that sounds a pretty good option taking the A9 down it's about a 2 hour drive from Glencoe dependant upon the stops. Good choice of hotel too and a stones throw from the Blair Athol distillery. Will do some further research this week!
Your other drives / routes take in the big names but once passed its no way as enjoyable to drive as the Cairngorms route , alongside Lock Lomond / Loch Ness is nice but you don't need much traffic to spoil it :cry: as for Fort William :cry: the lowpoint of Scotland that ive seen so far :o
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Scotland Trip!

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Shame you only have a weekend OP. :(

I did a Scottish trip back in 2008, but had a week and went up the East and down the West.

Our first night was in Duns, but sadly the Jim Clark museum wasn't open the next day. :( So it stays on my list of places I must visit.

I had to visit Muir of Ord as well as my Dad was born there - so it seemed rude not to visit the Glen Ord distillery!

Had a night in Troon as well - we really liked it there.

Two more places you probably won't have time for are Oban where we stayed a night and the Isle of Skye - went over on the ferry and came back over the bridge. The roads over there are virtually empty, so well worth a visit!

Anyway I'm sure you'll have a great time!

B*gger, now I want to do it again. :lol: But in my Z4, not a 123d. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

AlfaScozzesi

Scotland Trip!

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:18 pm

If you are staying on the second night near Eileen Donan then you should keep going North for the next day to Strathcarron and onto Achansheen heading through Garve, Conon Bridge, Muir of Ord, Beauly, Belladrum and then Loch Ness side down to Spean Bridge turning North again for one of my favourite roads through Newtonmore onto Granton on Spey where you could stay anywhere in whisky country ready for the road home in the morning through Braemar etc which as Mr Wilks has said is a great road. Indeed I think you will have covered a lot of the great roads of Scotland on this route.

Whichever way you go I am sure you will have a great time. :thumbsup:

MefiEcosse

Scotland Trip!

Post by MefiEcosse » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:01 pm Shame you only have a weekend OP. :(

I did a Scottish trip back in 2008, but had a week and went up the East and down the West.

Our first night was in Duns, but sadly the Jim Clark museum wasn't open the next day. :( So it stays on my list of places I must visit.

I had to visit Muir of Ord as well as my Dad was born there - so it seemed rude not to visit the Glen Ord distillery!

Had a night in Troon as well - we really liked it there.

Two more places you probably won't have time for are Oban where we stayed a night and the Isle of Skye - went over on the ferry and came back over the bridge. The roads over there are virtually empty, so well worth a visit!

Anyway I'm sure you'll have a great time!

B*gger, now I want to do it again. :lol: But in my Z4, not a 123d. :(
I took a trip to Duns today, couple of really great roads through the Lammermuir hills I hadn't been on before! :thumbsup: :driving:
Jim Clark museum wasn't open today either! :thumbsdown:
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Scotland Trip!

Post by craig3.2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Alot of good roads have been mentioned,and would agree,Glencoe,Braemar,etc etc are great roads.
So many to choose from up here,enjoy :driving: :thumbsup:
Hope the weather is good for you,it was a cracker again today :D
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Scotland Trip!

Post by metal licker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 am

Another thumbs up for Braemar/Glenshee route and try to get too Eilean Donan Castle early as it gets very busy :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Scotland Trip!

Post by MrPT » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:08 am

metal licker wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 am Another thumbs up for Braemar/Glenshee route
+1 from me too. Lovely road.

If you are heading to Glencoe and fancy stretching that 35is a bit, try the B863 around Loch Leven, aka The Scotsburgring.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Ethicsgradient

Scotland Trip!

Post by Ethicsgradient » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:35 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 pm
Your other drives / routes take in the big names but once passed its no way as enjoyable to drive as the Cairngorms route , alongside Lock Lomond / Loch Ness is nice but you don't need much traffic to spoil it :cry: as for Fort William :cry: the lowpoint of Scotland that ive seen so far :o

Steady on now some of us were born in FortWilliam hahaha .. Near there is a place called Kinlochleven , setting for the yearly classic pre 65 trials .. And one of the quietest and well surfaced loop roads around the B863 , Turn off at the petrol station on the A82 , take it handy on the in stretch , go through the villiage .. and boot the crap out it on the back stretch along the loch side . usual watch out for sheep rules apply but it is usually very very quiet as unless you want to go to Kinlochleven for ummm ...err..something ..I don't know what that might be , really there aint much reason to use the road .

AlfaScozzesi

Scotland Trip!

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:24 am

Ethicsgradient wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:35 am
mr wilks wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Steady on now some of us were born in FortWilliam hahaha .. Near there is a place called Kinlochleven , setting for the yearly classic pre 65 trials .. And one of the quietest and well surfaced loop roads around the B863 , Turn off at the petrol station on the A82 , take it handy on the in stretch , go through the villiage .. and boot the crap out it on the back stretch along the loch side . usual watch out for sheep rules apply but it is usually very very quiet as unless you want to go to Kinlochleven for ummm ...err..something ..I don't know what that might be , really there aint much reason to use the road .

That's a great shout as the run from Loch Lomand to Eileen Donan is a bit light in miles for a day and it's a great 20 minutes loop.

Quick edit: for clarity take a right at Glencoe village just past the traffic lights next to the garage for this loop.

I kind of agree of agree that Fort William isn't the prettiest place ( I stay in the area) but it is the hub of the West coast and if coming up here is a good base.

Am in Inverness at the moment. May see you on the road this afternoon if on your way to Eleen Donnan. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Scotland Trip!

Post by Marlon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:56 am

@Mr wilks - that would be the old military road A93 then?
We are planning a trip to Skye breaking at Glencoe there and back, so your East route is a little out of the way this time.

@Ethicsgradient - Is this the loop:
Scotland1.png
Scotland1.png (529.75 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Scotland2.png
Scotland2.png (327.72 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

AlfaScozzesi

Scotland Trip!

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 am

That's the route.

:thumbsup:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Scotland Trip!

Post by MrPT » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:23 am

Yeah, that's it. You can have a lot of fun under the speed limit, but watch out for telegraph poles, cliffs, sheep, plus the odd local!

2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone