Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lake District visit

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Lake District visit

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm

patriot66 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:11 pm
Marlon wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:09 pm
patriot66 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:35 pm A circular tour on quieter roads round the Skiddaw/Blencathra massif is one of my favourites....spectacular ! Take the road signed for Mungrisdale on the north side of the A66 half way between Keswick and Penrith. Follow this on through Mungrisdale, Mosedale (look out for the wild ponies !), Hesket Newmarket, Parkend, Uldale and eventually Bassenthwaite. Then you can go over either Whinlatter Pass or Newlands Pass to Buttermere and then back over Honister Pass to Keswick.
If you decide to go over Hardknott Pass then stop for a mooch round the Roman Fort half way up/down on the west side. Lots of photo opportunities here ! The road south out of Beckfoot in Eskdale is a cracker and runs up over the fells dropping through Ulpha and on to the A595 near Broughton in Furness. If it's quiet this is a great road in a Zed ! :driving:
Haven't done that route Simon, where would you recommend a coffee / lunch break on that route north of the A66? I'm thinking we would drive straight up the M6 to the Penrith junction to begin the journey.
Hi Colin. There is a pub in most of those villages but I've only been in the Old Crown in Hesket Newmarket, however this was a few years back but seem to remember it was a good old fashioned pub.
Alison and I have called in at Whinlatter Forest Visitor Centre for a coffee and cake a few times and then treated ourselves later at the Masons Arms, Strawberry Bank :D which is then handy for M6 Jct 36 and home. :thumbsup:
On the route down from Uldale to Buttermere would you recommend the Skiddaw side of Bassenthwaite ( the right side ) or the road that follows the left side of the lake ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by metal licker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Have you tried The Lakes Distillery ? that's kinda in that area Mr Wilks its got good food and tours etc :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Lake District visit

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:42 pm

There is a pub in most of those villages but I've only been in the Old Crown in Hesket Newmarket, however this was a few years back but seem to remember it was a good old fashioned pub.
Alison and I have called in at Whinlatter Forest Visitor Centre for a coffee and cake a few times and then treated ourselves later at the Masons Arms, Strawberry Bank :D which is then handy for M6 Jct 36 and home. :thumbsup:
Stayed in a very nice suite above the Masons Arm, last time MrsG and I took the Zed around the Lakes. Good pub and like you say very handy for the journey South, as we where heading for North Wales the next day of that tour. :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Lake District visit

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:43 pm

metal licker wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 pm Have you tried The Lakes Distillery ? that's kinda in that area Mr Wilks its got good food and tours etc :)
Strictly vin rouge here mr Licker :oops: i rarely veer from the grape :D elixir of life :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Lake District visit

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Just dug Out a quick pic of the Zed at the Masons Arms. :)
Masons Arms.jpg
Masons Arms.jpg (243.1 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Haven't done that route Simon, where would you recommend a coffee / lunch break on that route north of the A66? I'm thinking we would drive straight up the M6 to the Penrith junction to begin the journey.
Hi Colin. There is a pub in most of those villages but I've only been in the Old Crown in Hesket Newmarket, however this was a few years back but seem to remember it was a good old fashioned pub.
On the route down from Uldale to Buttermere would you recommend the Skiddaw side of Bassenthwaite ( the right side ) or the road that follows the left side of the lake ?
Hi Mr Wilks. I stay on the right (eastern) side A591 back to the roundabout on the A66 at Keswick. Then turn west onto the A66 a short way to Braithwaite and onto the B5292 Whinlatter Pass. Only been over the Newlands Hause Pass from Buttermere north back to Braithwaite. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:53 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:42 pm
There is a pub in most of those villages but I've only been in the Old Crown in Hesket Newmarket, however this was a few years back but seem to remember it was a good old fashioned pub.
Stayed in a very nice suite above the Masons Arm, last time MrsG and I took the Zed around the Lakes. Good pub and like you say very handy for the journey South, as we where heading for North Wales the next day of that tour. :thumbsup:
Oh it's a great place isn't it? Alison and I stayed in the Bowland Bridge Suite for our anniversary a couple of years back. Very nice.
I first went there back in the early 90s when my Dad and some of his friends took me to watch the RAC Rally in Grizedale Forest. I remember a mad dash across country to get to the Masons Arms and to get a good table before it became crowded. I was immediately taken with the place...great beer, superb food (awesome spare ribs !), roaring fire and loads of old-fashioned charm. Gladly despite a lot of development and changes over the years it has still got plenty of 'character'. Back in the 90s it was famous for its Beer Menu on the tables which featured 200 different British and Continental beers ! There also used to be a microbrewery at the rear and the 'Swallow', 'Amazon' and Damson Beers were superb ! :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Dave1971

Lake District visit

Post by Dave1971 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Stopping in Patterdale this weekend but will be doing more walking than driving though. If I see a red M roadster about I'll give you a wave Mr Wilks .

OP you can do a lot worse than heading towards the Yorkshire dales. Ingleton, Hawes, buttertubs, tan hill, Brough, Middleton in teesdale, Alston, hartside. The roads are great and will be a lot quieter guaranteed.
Last edited by Dave1971 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by Marlon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:14 pm

patriot66 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:35 pm A circular tour on quieter roads round the Skiddaw/Blencathra massif is one of my favourites....spectacular ! Take the road signed for Mungrisdale on the north side of the A66 half way between Keswick and Penrith. Follow this on through Mungrisdale, Mosedale (look out for the wild ponies !), Hesket Newmarket, Parkend, Uldale and eventually Bassenthwaite. Then you can go over either Whinlatter Pass or Newlands Pass to Buttermere and then back over Honister Pass to Keswick.
If you decide to go over Hardknott Pass then stop for a mooch round the Roman Fort half way up/down on the west side. Lots of photo opportunities here ! The road south out of Beckfoot in Eskdale is a cracker and runs up over the fells dropping through Ulpha and on to the A595 near Broughton in Furness. If it's quiet this is a great road in a Zed ! :driving:
Thanks for the route mate - sounds like I'm not the only one who will check it out :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Lake District visit

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Dave1971 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 pm Stopping in Patterdale this weekend but will be doing more walking than driving though. If I see a red M roadster about I'll give you a wave Mr Wilks .

OP you can do a lot worse than heading towards the Yorkshire dales. Ingleton, Hawes, buttertubs, tan hill, Brough, Middleton in teesdale, Alston, hartside. The roads are great and will be a lot quieter guaranteed.
Dales are great , Ribble valley & Bowland even better :driving: I'l be heading home to Lancs via Dent , Ingleton , Bentham , Slaidburn & already before ive got to the Lakes i'm looking forward to Sunday when i leave them behind :wink: truth is i'm not expecting a drivers weekend as in fast roads & vast open tarmac , i just fancy some different vistas , some different roads & a night away from the grown up children that share our home :D
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

DaveZ4richardson

Lake District visit

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Think i might try some of these roads myself however i will wait a couple of months untl the roads are a little quieter. Probably been on them at some point but tend to just get out and drive and sometimes have no idea where am heading, not sure if thats a good idea or not lol. :tumbleweed:
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.

Prestonese

Lake District visit

Post by Prestonese » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:32 pm

Roads are tight in the Lakes. The most scenic is probably Keswick to Kendal through Grasmere and Windemere. Plenty of cool pubs and cafes on the way. The road from Penrith through the Hartside pass to Alston is the best driving road. Kirkstone pass isn't bad either.
2007 Z4M Roadster / Ruby black / Red Leather / No Mods

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by Marlon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:20 am

Prestonese wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:32 pm . . . The road from Penrith through the Hartside pass to Alston is the best driving road. . . .
Is that east from Penrith on the A686?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

JAD

Lake District visit

Post by JAD » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 pm Cheers Patriot : Saturday's route now finalised starting from the A66 :thumbsup:
Nice route, Andy - I'll be up and around Glenridding end of August for my birthday. Some great roads around there too.

Prestonese

Lake District visit

Post by Prestonese » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:20 am
Prestonese wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:32 pm . . . The road from Penrith through the Hartside pass to Alston is the best driving road. . . .
Is that east from Penrith on the A686?
Yes. That's the one - leads from the roundabout outside Penrith all the way to Alston. The bit to the east of the Hartside Cafe is not so interesting. The cafe at the top is pretty good for bacon sandwiches and cakes though.
2007 Z4M Roadster / Ruby black / Red Leather / No Mods