Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lake District visit

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Sgr74

Lake District visit

Post by Sgr74 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Me and the other half are visiting the Lake District in August for the weekend. Need advice on the best roads. She likes walking so when she is away doing her thing, I'll do mine.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Lake District visit

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Sgr74 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 pm Me and the other half are visiting the Lake District in August for the weekend. Need advice on the best roads. She likes walking so when she is away doing her thing, I'll do mine.
Shall read any replies with interest :) i'm heading there on Saturday with Mrs W for 2 days ///Motoring :driving: planning to see Ullswater , Buttermere , Langdales , Ennerdale , Scafell , Wastwater & staying over near Wasdale Head Saturday night to enjoy the passes Wrynose , Hardknott , Kirkstone on the Sunday morning then home via the Yorkshire Dales
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

DaveZ4richardson

Lake District visit

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:33 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 pm
Sgr74 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 pm Me and the other half are visiting the Lake District in August for the weekend. Need advice on the best roads. She likes walking so when she is away doing her thing, I'll do mine.
Shall read any replies with interest :) i'm heading there on Saturday with Mrs W for 2 days ///Motoring :driving: planning to see Ullswater , Buttermere , Langdales , Ennerdale , Scafell , Wastwater & staying over near Wasdale Head Saturday night to enjoy the passes Wrynose , Hardknott , Kirkstone on the Sunday morning then home via the Yorkshire Dales
Careful heading to Ennerdale Mr Wilks, got some interesting speed bumps in Ennerdale village, then the road to Ennerdale lake is certainly not the best for a Zed.
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.

DaveZ4richardson

Lake District visit

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Where in the lakes are you basing yourselves Sgr? if its sunny just get out there and enjoy the roads, try and avoid peak times between 11 and 3 I would say, unless you just want to cruise and enjoy the scenery, this time of year weekends are rammed and lots of events taking place all over the Lakes. Still a great place though on a sunny weekend if your not in a hurry, am sure the guys from the National will be able to guide on some cracking roads away from the tourists.
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.

MefiEcosse

Lake District visit

Post by MefiEcosse » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Good advice from Dave if you want to enjoy the drive get out there early, plenty time later in the day for sightseeing!
Can't go wrong with the Dales :D
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by Marlon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 pm

A591 Windermere to Keswick :thumbsup:
B5289 Keswick to Buttermere through the Honister Pass :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Sgr74

Lake District visit

Post by Sgr74 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:25 am

DaveZ4richardson wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 pm
Where in the lakes are you basing yourselves Sgr? if its sunny just get out there and enjoy the roads, try and avoid peak times between 11 and 3 I would say, unless you just want to cruise and enjoy the scenery, this time of year weekends are rammed and lots of events taking place all over the Lakes. Still a great place though on a sunny weekend if your not in a hurry, am sure the guys from the National will be able to guide on some cracking roads away from the tourists.
Based in Keswick. I like Marlons Windermere suggestion. That'll do for a start. :driving: :thumbsup:
Black 2.5 Roadie.

85genius

Lake District visit

Post by 85genius » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 am

I used the zed built in sat back navigating around the lakes, I was based on Windermere and the nav nearly always managed to take me the scenic route and find the best roads. Added a fair bit to the journey times whilst I was there but was definitely a good thing!! It was like she was asking to be driven :driving:
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by metal licker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:57 am

Here's some approximate routes Of the regular hoons for me :driving:
Honister Pass and Grizedale Forest - https://goo.gl/maps/qrHb68m6nYp
HardKnot,Wrynose and a loop back through the Duddon Valley - https://goo.gl/maps/tkTubHgAHJG2
Kirkstone Pass and Ullswater - https://goo.gl/maps/Wgbr4hBDTt22
Hope the links work :D
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:35 pm

A circular tour on quieter roads round the Skiddaw/Blencathra massif is one of my favourites....spectacular ! Take the road signed for Mungrisdale on the north side of the A66 half way between Keswick and Penrith. Follow this on through Mungrisdale, Mosedale (look out for the wild ponies !), Hesket Newmarket, Parkend, Uldale and eventually Bassenthwaite. Then you can go over either Whinlatter Pass or Newlands Pass to Buttermere and then back over Honister Pass to Keswick.
If you decide to go over Hardknott Pass then stop for a mooch round the Roman Fort half way up/down on the west side. Lots of photo opportunities here ! The road south out of Beckfoot in Eskdale is a cracker and runs up over the fells dropping through Ulpha and on to the A595 near Broughton in Furness. If it's quiet this is a great road in a Zed ! :driving:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by Marlon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:09 pm

patriot66 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:35 pm A circular tour on quieter roads round the Skiddaw/Blencathra massif is one of my favourites....spectacular ! Take the road signed for Mungrisdale on the north side of the A66 half way between Keswick and Penrith. Follow this on through Mungrisdale, Mosedale (look out for the wild ponies !), Hesket Newmarket, Parkend, Uldale and eventually Bassenthwaite. Then you can go over either Whinlatter Pass or Newlands Pass to Buttermere and then back over Honister Pass to Keswick.
If you decide to go over Hardknott Pass then stop for a mooch round the Roman Fort half way up/down on the west side. Lots of photo opportunities here ! The road south out of Beckfoot in Eskdale is a cracker and runs up over the fells dropping through Ulpha and on to the A595 near Broughton in Furness. If it's quiet this is a great road in a Zed ! :driving:
Haven't done that route Simon, where would you recommend a coffee / lunch break on that route north of the A66? I'm thinking we would drive straight up the M6 to the Penrith junction to begin the journey.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

cerbera

Lake District visit

Post by cerbera » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:21 pm

patriot66 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:35 pm A circular tour on quieter roads round the Skiddaw/Blencathra massif is one of my favourites....spectacular ! Take the road signed for Mungrisdale on the north side of the A66 half way between Keswick and Penrith. Follow this on through Mungrisdale, Mosedale (look out for the wild ponies !), Hesket Newmarket, Parkend, Uldale and eventually Bassenthwaite. Then you can go over either Whinlatter Pass or Newlands Pass to Buttermere and then back over Honister Pass to Keswick.
That's sounds excellent, will need to try soon when I'm back home and the Zeds been serviced :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Lake District visit

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Hardknott & Wrynrose Pass road is a beauty best West to East. :driving: The road through High Nibthwait, down the East bank of Coniston water, at sunset, is another hidden Jem, that people seem to miss. 8)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Lake District visit

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Cheers Patriot : Saturday's route now finalised starting from the A66 :thumbsup:
Attachments
20170714_173206.jpg
20170714_173206.jpg (321.73 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Lake District visit

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:09 pm
Haven't done that route Simon, where would you recommend a coffee / lunch break on that route north of the A66? I'm thinking we would drive straight up the M6 to the Penrith junction to begin the journey.
Hi Colin. There is a pub in most of those villages but I've only been in the Old Crown in Hesket Newmarket, however this was a few years back but seem to remember it was a good old fashioned pub.
Alison and I have called in at Whinlatter Forest Visitor Centre for a coffee and cake a few times and then treated ourselves later at the Masons Arms, Strawberry Bank :D which is then handy for M6 Jct 36 and home. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !