Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

not sure what to do

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
domsz4

not sure what to do

Post by domsz4 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:46 am

i used my DA a few months back with the megs microfibre system. so it was the cutting stuff first and then the polishing stuff second. it looked amazing.

now its a s**t tip with all the crud from my commute up lanes and stuff. so decent snow foam double bucket wash is in order. but i would like to give it a buff up too. so should i go start from scratch and use the cutting stuff first again or just the polish part or not either and wax by hand using the poor boys natty blue i have?
Proud Whip owner ;)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: not sure what to do

Post by Maniac » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:58 am

Personally over winter I'd wash the car as little as possible. Winter as you know is the worst time for covering the car in crap, specifically sharp scratchy crap. I wash mine much less regularly in winter because of the damage it can create in the paint. Bear in mind, each polish can remove a tiny layer of lacquer so a full polish should only be done once or twice a year as good waxes etc will protect it in-between.

If you really must wash it, ensure a good snow foam is used, let it sit for 10-20 minutes before a good rinse and then the two bucket wash. I'd leave it there, there's little sense in more polishing etc at this time of year, its extra work, more products used and there's little to show for it because it will be crapped up again in no time.

Do careful, basic washes, less regularly and save yourself for spring. That's my two pence on it...

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:41 pm

i sort of want to try and reduce it a bit, partly as its dirty and partly as i have to squeeze past in the garage and i keep getting mud on my trousers :D

but i can see your point. id like to get at least 1 coat of wax on for the winter it must help. i need to do something about the screen. unfortunately i drive right into the sun on both journeys and the other morning i swiped the screen and couldnt see a thing with the smearing. as for the wipers i think they left more than they took!
Proud Whip owner ;)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Should be no need to start from scratch unless your wash technique is crap and your putting the scratches back in.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:00 pm

If you want to do something regularly during the winter just to get the crud off, you could always settle for

- a once over with a pressure washer to remove the looser 'debris'
- snowfoam and let it dwell for about 15mins (possibly with a second coat of snowfoam to top it up after the first 5-10 mins)
- another go over with the pressure washer
- leave it to dry naturally

this is a touchless approach so shouldn't mar the paint at all, and, while it won't make the car 'squeeky clean' it should get the worst of the crud off

Once you get to the (slightly) better weather in the Spring you can give it a proper wash, assess the paint and decide if any machine polishing is needed
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:24 pm

i can never get the snow foam to be foamy enough. its always a bit watery and runs off. after 5 mins its often dried :(
Proud Whip owner ;)

stitchexp626

Post by stitchexp626 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Having read this I've just purchased a new pressure washer, snow foam and Snow Foam lance... :)

Never really been bothered about cleaning my cars too much before, but just seeing how dirty the car is after less than a week makes me want to get it clean again as soon as possible :rofl:
2014 28i Valencia Orange with a black roof. Manual naturally...

thepits

Post by thepits » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:39 pm

domsz4 wrote: so should i go start from scratch and use the cutting stuff first again or just the polish part or not either and wax by hand using the poor boys natty blue i have?
or go shopping and give it to the Tesco Poles to clean? :roll:

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 pm

domsz4 wrote:i can never get the snow foam to be foamy enough. its always a bit watery and runs off. after 5 mins its often dried :(
If it's not foaming enough it usually means you either haven't got the concentration right or you're not getting enough air into the mix - or possibly you're using cheap foam concentrate, car chem are very good and supply a lot of the 'branded' stuff. I also find that using hot water rather than cold in the bottle helps give a better foam
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Its a means to an end, so for me regular washing is essential to keeping the Zed in pristine condition especially through the winter months where I get any salt off the car as soon as I can. I wash once a week without fail, only time I don't is when the snowfoam freezes :) Leaving the car with layers of grime and salt on it for months on end just makes the task alot harder when you finally get around to it and salt is the cars worst enemy.
I did the underside of the Z3, floorpan and suspension carriers with Dinitrol underbody wax the other weekend so should see it good through the winter so main aim is to keep the body work as clean as possible :)

I never use any polishes or waxes that have any abrasive compounds and just use Showroom Shine which personally I find fantastic for ease of on/off and you can do the car in 20 mins. As it takes so little time to wax I find I can do it more often over winter when its needed the most.

Tim.