Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jet Seal over wax coating?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
willc8

Jet Seal over wax coating?

Post by willc8 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I need some of your expert advice, I made a bit of an impulse buy yesterday, got some Chemical guys Jet Seal sealant after seeing how easy it was to apply. However, after doing a little research today, it seems that it is best to put sealant on before wax (sorry i'm a newb to detailing). I put a layer of Natty's wax on my vehicle last week, would it be pointless putting a layer of Jet seal on top now?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Will
Sdrive 28i M sport Auto transmission in Mineral Black with Kansas Beige interior. Comfort pack, stubby aerial and semi integrated sat nav.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Jet Seal over wax coating?

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:33 pm

I don't know this particular product but sealant goes on before wax. Putting it on top of wax is pointless as it simply won't adhere.

I would apply after detailing the car and when the paint is spotless
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

willc8

Post by willc8 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Yeah I was in too much of a hurry to get the wax on to boost that shine. Oh well, will probably wait until wax layer wears off in a couple months off and then apply later.
Sdrive 28i M sport Auto transmission in Mineral Black with Kansas Beige interior. Comfort pack, stubby aerial and semi integrated sat nav.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:48 pm

willc8 wrote:Yeah I was in too much of a hurry to get the wax on to boost that shine. Oh well, will probably wait until wax layer wears off in a couple months off and then apply later.
Your still going to have to clean it to remove residual wax, grime, tar spots, etc., so I'd get on and do it while the weather is good and it's still warm
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Was thinking this myself as I have poor boys black hole, ex sealant and nattys paste wax.

So what order after a good clean and clay bar?
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

willc8

Post by willc8 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:25 pm

From the sounds of it, in the exact order you have listed.

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:41 am

clean, clay, polish, seal, wax.
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:54 am

Thank you
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Ahem, just noticed filler is mentioned, too - generally, that goes on after polish and before sealant as far as I know (well, that when I apply it - although I've not had especially good results with it to be honest - must be doing something wrong). Your "clean" stage could also easily involve three, four, or more steps. To do all of that and also make sure the wheels are squeaky clean and protected, I make that days of work!
Stevo

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:31 pm

stevo///m3 wrote:Ahem, just noticed filler is mentioned, too - generally, that goes on after polish and before sealant as far as I know (well, that when I apply it - although I've not had especially good results with it to be honest - must be doing something wrong). Your "clean" stage could also easily involve three, four, or more steps. To do all of that and also make sure the wheels are squeaky clean and protected, I make that days of work!
Stevo
So if I have poorboys black hole, ex sealant and nattys paste wax, which order do I apply them and do I need anything else? It's all done by hand so gonna be a full day job anyway.

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:06 pm

In the order you've written them down. Get all the cleaning and claying out of the way, get the polishing done, then apply filler if you're going to use it, sealant then goes over the top of the buffed-off filler, then wax as the final step after buffing off the sealant. If you get a really good finish after the clean/polish/filler stages, I'd recommend two coats of EX-P/Jetseal - it'll just lock in the finish for longer. First time I did all of this, I just used one coat of sealant - the paint beaded like crazy in the wet for about 2 months then the effect started to reduce somewhat. Second time I did it, I put two coats on and it beaded for considerably longer - maybe 4 months or so. The sealant is a really easy stage to put on and take off so to my mind, it only makes sense.
I don't think you need anything else really - those are basically the final three stages once you've got through the polishing. I'm sure there are more products you can use but, hey, I've never used more than these three as the final touches.
Stevo

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Any recommendation on polishing?

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:58 pm

OK, that's a pretty wide-open Q so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.... If you're doing it by hand, I'm not going to be much help - I have a DA machine and only use that nowadays. If your question was aimed at which/what type of polish then there's a million of them out there and many of them are good at specific things and have a bespoke purpose. I've got something like 6 different grades of polish and they get used in different ways and for different jobs. I guess if you're doing it by hand and do just one "coat" so to speak, I'd probably recommend Autoglym's Super Resin Polish (SRP) because it does at least two jobs - first it is a polish so will assist in correcting the paint and leave your car shiny and secondly it also acts as a filler to an extent, just as Black Hole would work. Before I got the DA and shed loads of products, I was using SRP and it works fairly well on its own. HTH.
Stevo

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:11 pm

My apologies, I should have said which polish type. So the srp sounds ideal and will hopefully complement the others nicely.

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:58 pm

Yeah, if you're a once only type of polisher, SRP is decent. You've visited www.detailngworld.com right?