Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Product reviews

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.

Would you like a product review thread?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:55 pm

Yes
93%
No
7%
Not bothered, wash 'n' scratch for me
No votes

Total votes: 29

stevo///m3

Re: Product reviews

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Good work fella, good effort with the review. You should start a new thread for each subject and standardise the format/scoring so that we can make direct comparisons- I know is all a little subjective but I can also see you're trying to be as objective as possible.
Thanks again
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Autovisiondetailing

Post by Autovisiondetailing » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:22 pm

stevo///m3 wrote:Good work fella, good effort with the review. You should start a new thread for each subject and standardise the format/scoring so that we can make direct comparisons- I know is all a little subjective but I can also see you're trying to be as objective as possible.
Thanks again
Stevo
Cheers Stevo for the feedback.

I'll start a new thread for each product/vehicle going forward.

In terms of scoring the easiest way going forward would be a score out of 10.

2 points for price
2 points for application
2 points for cleaning/removal of product
2 points for durability
1 point for volume used
1 point of product design/customer service

Will include recommendations as well or an alternative to the product reviewed
Car history: 2000 Seat Ibiza : 2008 Seat Ibiza : 2012 VW Golf : 2004 Audi TT 225 roadster : 2010 BMW 120d : 2006 Renault Clio 197 (Oh dear) : 2014 Nissan Qashqai (current work horse) : 2006 BMW Z4 2.5i

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Sensible scoring system, from me that's a :thumbsup:
Ive assumed you're applying this by hand?
We can all contribute to that style of thread.
I'm interested in this 50 cal stuff now, Black Hole has disappointed me somewhat (a lot).
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Autovisiondetailing

Post by Autovisiondetailing » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:05 pm

stevo///m3 wrote:Sensible scoring system, from me that's a :thumbsup:
Ive assumed you're applying this by hand?
We can all contribute to that style of thread.
I'm interested in this 50 cal stuff now, Black Hole has disappointed me somewhat (a lot).
Stevo
Waxes I apply by hand but glazes and polishes will be applied by either machine or by hand.

I've not used 50 Cals Cover Up Glaze, heard and seen some good things from this product.

A product I've used multiple times on customers and mine own is Chemical Guys Glossworkz. Simple to apply by hand or by machine using a finishing pad. Applied to several cars and barely made a dent in the 500ml bottle. Glossworkz does a great job on filling swirls and fine scratches at the same time adding a deep gloss and clarity of paint. With any filling product ensure you follow it up with a sealant.

£14.95. Packaging with Chemical Guys are some times a little messy but that's only me being picky. Dearer than others so it's marked down for that.

8/10
Before
After
Car history: 2000 Seat Ibiza : 2008 Seat Ibiza : 2012 VW Golf : 2004 Audi TT 225 roadster : 2010 BMW 120d : 2006 Renault Clio 197 (Oh dear) : 2014 Nissan Qashqai (current work horse) : 2006 BMW Z4 2.5i

bony_13

Post by bony_13 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:55 pm

Thats very impressive!
Would like to see the reviews keep coming.

Can I request one for Carpro Essence?! :wink: Lots of buzz about this product lately

Autovisiondetailing

Post by Autovisiondetailing » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:12 pm

bony_13 wrote:Thats very impressive!
Would like to see the reviews keep coming.

Can I request one for Carpro Essence?! :wink: Lots of buzz about this product lately

You'd be even more impressed to know that those swirls were from a car less than a year old!

I've heard a lot of promise from Essence!

What are people particularly interested in?

Waxes? Sealants? Glazes? Shampoo's? Etc etc

Msb

Post by Msb » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Waxes, Glazes, Quick Detailers ;)

bony_13

Post by bony_13 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:04 pm

With so many cars on here are around 10years old, some reviews and recomendations of long lasting plastic and rubber products would be great.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Oh yes, plastic 'back to black' product reviews are definitely needed. My scuttle panel has faded terribly.

Gtechniq have a good product for that apparently. Not sure how long it lasts though.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:33 pm

ben g wrote:Oh yes, plastic 'back to black' product reviews are definitely needed. My scuttle panel has faded terribly.
Yep. Whats better or lasts longer than Poorboys trim restorer?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

nb67

Post by nb67 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Gtechnic C4 is meant to be the dogs danglies for trim restoring. Not used it but I've seen reviews and the finished article and it is the best out there according to the lads who've used it.

As always, all products will last longer if the surface is prepped well prior to application.
GONE - 3.0i SE. Sterling Grey. 2005.
Gaptech RCH+, ZHP, Stubby. CDV Delete.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:14 pm

nb67 wrote:Gtechnic C4 is meant to be the dogs danglies for trim restoring. Not used it but I've seen reviews and the finished article and it is the best out there according to the lads who've used it.

As always, all products will last longer if the surface is prepped well prior to application.
It is expensive for what you get though.

nb67

Post by nb67 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Nictrix wrote:
nb67 wrote:Gtechnic C4 is meant to be the dogs danglies for trim restoring. Not used it but I've seen reviews and the finished article and it is the best out there according to the lads who've used it.

I guess so but like most good stuff, you get what you pay for.

I've used AG Trim Restorer before and for a couple of weeks, it looked well but soon started to fade.

I've never used it but would consider it in order to get the job done right with proven longevity.

I had the same scenario with a wheel sealant and opted for Poorboys as the price was not too bad. Prepped the wheels very well but the PB's stuff never cut it for me in terms of sealing the wheels.
I then opted for Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels for our new car's alloys, £20 for a 15ml bottle but only used half this on 4 x 18'' gloss black RS Clio alloys and they were still protected, simple shampoo and wash mitt to clean them, 18mths on.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:47 pm

nb67 wrote:
Nictrix wrote:

I guess so but like most good stuff, you get what you pay for.

I've used AG Trim Restorer before and for a couple of weeks, it looked well but soon started to fade.

I've never used it but would consider it in order to get the job done right with proven longevity.

I had the same scenario with a wheel sealant and opted for Poorboys as the price was not too bad. Prepped the wheels very well but the PB's stuff never cut it for me in terms of sealing the wheels.
I then opted for Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels for our new car's alloys, £20 for a 15ml bottle but only used half this on 4 x 18'' gloss black RS Clio alloys and they were still protected, simple shampoo and wash mitt to clean them, 18mths on.
Maybe I am being a bit harsh, you see 15ml of something and think you could spill more than that easily.
Maybe have to bite the bullet as I am getting fed up with getting the trim looking great but after a few days rain or a few washes and it needs redone.

nb67

Post by nb67 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Nictrix wrote: Maybe I am being a bit harsh, you see 15ml of something and think you could spill more than that easily.
Maybe have to bite the bullet as I am getting fed up with getting the trim looking great but after a few days rain or a few washes and it needs redone.

As I say mate, I've not used it but have a look on DW for reviews/application etc....

A chap called Bristlehound (iirc) used it on a Mini (lots of trim) and he was well impressed.