Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine bay cleaning

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
MartynFrancis

Engine bay cleaning

Post by MartynFrancis » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:35 am

So, I've read a few topics and I'm still a bit worried about what to do.
I've got autobrite Jaffa clean which is amazing stuff, cleaning the engine bay obviously you can't reach everywhere. So with the hose, I know need to cover or go no where near the alternator, but is there anywhere else I need to stay well away from? I'm worried about electrics etc as I am not mechanically minded with engines!! Or is everything pretty well sealed up?
Silver 3.0si auto with flappy paddles and loving it! :driving: MM tips

Sterling grey 2.5i gap tech rch goodyear eagle F1, parrot MKi9100..... Stubby...... Written off :(

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Engine bay cleaning

Post by Smartbear » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:48 pm

The connectors should be well sealed but I'd not put a pressure washer on them, careful application with a hose should be fine-my motorbike engine gets a good soaking whenever it rains & it's always been ok :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MartynFrancis

Engine bay cleaning

Post by MartynFrancis » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Cheers mate, sorry for the late reply. I chickened out again! Lol I did take off the engine cover and cleaned that though!
Silver 3.0si auto with flappy paddles and loving it! :driving: MM tips

Sterling grey 2.5i gap tech rch goodyear eagle F1, parrot MKi9100..... Stubby...... Written off :(

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Engine bay cleaning

Post by kis » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:21 am

MartynFrancis wrote:Cheers mate, sorry for the late reply. I chickened out again! Lol I did take off the engine cover and cleaned that though!
I use this stuff (occasionally) and never had a problem with that.
Using a slightly more coarse brush than that for washing the car I give it a general scrub and hose down periodically.

So long as you're just hosing it down and not power washing inside the engine you should be fine...

My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

ChrisC85

Engine bay cleaning

Post by ChrisC85 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:29 pm

No problem jet washing the engine as long as all the electrical components are covered. I've done it many many times with different cars including the Z, never had a problem using a jet wash. As long as common sense is used you should be fine :thumbsup:
Sold: Z4M Coupe, Sapphire Black.