Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Chip painting over lacquer.

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Can anybody advise on a query I've got please.

I will at some point get a chip on the bonnet on my sapphire black E89. Looking at vids etc, the following seems a good method:

Tiny disc of 2000 grit wet and dry stuck to a pencil top, twist into the chip to flatten down the paint and lacquer edge, use a cocktail stick etc, to fill with paint over a few days, wet sand down a small area around the chip to blend in and flatten the paint to level, polish back to standard shine.

Now my queries are:

They mention clear coat, is that another term for the top layer of lacquer over the paint?

How do you replace the small patch of lacquer, or clear coat, that has been taken out by the chip? Do you do the same as the paint and apply a small amount then sand back down? What sort of lacquer should be used?

Any advise much appreciated as always.

Thanks in advance.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Think I remember reading somewhere that some people have mixed the paint and laquer.
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:19 pm

andysat wrote:Think I remember reading somewhere that some people have mixed the paint and laquer.
Yes that's exactly what the guy did but he didn't say why.

Excellent, that's the jigsaw complete then, cheers Andy. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Yep, as Andy confirmed, mix the two together, John. Also you may want to look for a paint denibber (like this one) - great for leveling :thumbsup:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:19 pm

markeg wrote:Yep, as Andy confirmed, mix the two together, John. Also you may want to look for a paint denibber (like this one) - great for leveling :thumbsup:
I have seen those levellers before Mark but forgotten about them tbh so thanks for the link. Those sanding drums look spot on, I'm going to make an order and practise on the van bonnet. Any tips on what grade of polishing mops I'll need for a rotary polisher?

Do you know the ratio of paint to lacquer I need?
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:41 pm

john-e89 wrote:
markeg wrote:Yep, as Andy confirmed, mix the two together, John. Also you may want to look for a paint denibber (like this one) - great for leveling :thumbsup:
I have seen those levellers before Mark but forgotten about them tbh so thanks for the link. Those sanding drums look spot on, I'm going to make an order and practise on the van bonnet. Any tips on what grade of polishing mops I'll need for a rotary polisher?

Do you know the ratio of paint to lacquer I need?
For ratio in stone chips, I use about half the amount of lacquer and mix well with a cocktail stick/orange stick. After denibbing, I do the area with increasing grit paper (3000, to 5000). For finishing, I use a Meguiars G220, and some hex logic pads (green for heavy cutting, then orange or blue for medium/light, then black for finishing) with Meguiars 105 & 205 mirror glaze.

Am sure others will be on with their choices shortly!

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:22 am

Great thanks very much Mark.

Sound products judging by your spoiler, the paint and finish are perfect. Did you use an airbrush or similar for the spraying, or just mask off a big area and use a normal gun?

(Should have asked you all this at the time... :roll: )
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:48 am

My paint on the 911 is a premixed clear/paint. I tested the cocktail method on my wing which worked well, also bought the felston tool to de-nip but will practice that on the Audi first.

Only got about 20000 rear wheel arch chips to do from the Scottish trip :cry:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:15 am

pvr wrote:My paint on the 911 is a premixed clear/paint. I tested the cocktail method on my wing which worked well, also bought the felston tool to de-nip but will practice that on the Audi first.

Only got about 20000 rear wheel arch chips to do from the Scottish trip :cry:
:o Not considered 3M clear protective film Paul? I would have thought you'd have all that under control from the outset.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:25 am

The standard film on the rear arches got shot by the stones, so I now have a CF magnetic option there instead. Fortunately, 95 % of the stone chips are underneath that now.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:32 pm

I've done this plenty of times with very good results.

Clean out the chip, put just a tiny amount of paint on a cocktail stick and paint in the chip leaving it concave.

After a couple of days clean it out again then paint in the lacquer/clear coat.

Leave it a couple of days and then wet sand and polish for an almost perfect repair.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:40 pm

john-e89 wrote:Great thanks very much Mark.

Sound products judging by your spoiler, the paint and finish are perfect. Did you use an airbrush or similar for the spraying, or just mask off a big area and use a normal gun?

(Should have asked you all this at the time... :roll: )
I have a hobby airbrush that I use for small jobs (like the spoiler) and a large gun & compressor for panels, but stone chips were rattle-can paint and lacquer into a plastic cup :)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:33 pm

One of the benefits of black Sapphire, fixing stone chips makes the repair invisible.

I wouldn't sand before applying the paint though. Apply paint, allow to dry for a week or so and then remove. I use the de-nibber now which is easier and quicker than wet sanding.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:28 pm

srhutch wrote:One of the benefits of black Sapphire, fixing stone chips makes the repair invisible.

I wouldn't sand before applying the paint though. Apply paint, allow to dry for a week or so and then remove. I use the de-nibber now which is easier and quicker than wet sanding.
I found if I didn't key the area by sanding the chip & surround (only about 0.5cm diameter), the paint blob would occasionally come out.

ric19

Post by ric19 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:41 pm

John, when you have found out the secret, can I pop down to Baslow and you can do mine.. OK ?