Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel Cleaner

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel Cleaner

Post by Nanu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:04 pm

RickRob wrote:I've got some time off in a couple of weeks - Mrs R is on a course so I am dog sitting.

Your post reminded me to get some of this, so I have! Thanks.
Don't forget to hold your nose, it smells evil
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel Cleaner

Post by Nanu » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:05 pm

ben g wrote:I've always wanted to try dragons breath, but surely it eats through any Polish/Sealant applied to the alloys?

I sealed my alloys with Gtechniq C5 after getting them refurbished and a simple wipe over with some soapy water gets all brake dust and dirt off.
Been in the garage the last couple of days due to bad weather so sealant in the next job
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Wrs

Wheel Cleaner

Post by Wrs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:19 pm

I use Iron X then Soapy Water or Car Shampoo (3rd bucket & mitt of course).

Like Dragon Breath, Iron X stinks but its gives great results.

Sealant wise I highly recommend PoorBoys Wheel Sealant.

Iron X: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CarPro-Iron-50 ... rds=Iron+X
PoorBoys Wheel Sealant: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PoorBoys-Wheel ... el+sealant
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

Zero4

Wheel Cleaner

Post by Zero4 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:45 pm

I don't expect any wheel cleaner to completely get rid of all dirt without having to touch the wheel and properly clean it. In the same regards to the paintwork. I expect it to lift dirt which makes it easier to clean with brushes and get them spotless.

I used bilburry as I used to own 3 piece splits with bare polished lips and you definitely don't want a product too strong in those things.

Even dragons breath I lightly cover leave to dwell, then use detailing brushes to get into the nooks before rinsing but now I'' on powder coated OEM rims so don't mind the stronger DB

Baza

Wheel Cleaner

Post by Baza » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:29 pm

+ for Bilt Hamber I bought Bilbery based on reviews but will go back to Bilt Hamber.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wheel Cleaner

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:04 pm

pvr wrote:I use it (weekly) on the Audi, and the front wheels are black from the brake dust.
Does the Audi have OEM pads... they are the worst for nasty brake dust IMO.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

stevo///m3

Wheel Cleaner

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:36 pm

I have bought both Dragon's Breath and Bilberry. The process, which I've used from 6 months ownership onwards, to clean them and keep them clean is quite straightforward - maybe I'm doing something right for a change! After initial protection, any dust really does just fly off, but I always do a contact wash with the wheels, I never just power wash them with Bilberry. Despite the adverts/videos, I don't believe that's enough cleaning power.

Probably up to twice a year (I suppose I'm talking about November then April-ish sort of times, before each season starts), take the wheels off, and give them a really good clean using DB with plenty of brush agitation, then power wash off. I use two brushes, a standard bottle brush-type one, quite big so it will reach the back of the barrel if the wheels are on the car, with soft bristles and one detailing brush, again, reserved only for wheel duties - dreadlock style. Then I do a lighter wash with Bilberry (make sure all the DB stuff is gone is the motivation here) again using those two brushes and this time with the wheel-dedicated wash mitt. I have another brush for round the edges of the tyre but you could even use an old shoe polishing brush - I seem to have amassed loads of those and do occasionally use them. All washes use the two bucket method.

As I bought a second set of wheels this year, the process then varies but I'll give you the long version - but with the admission that I did not do the polishing stage on my new wheels, because they were brand new.

On the original 224s, I then polish the wheels using a dual action polisher for the barrel (obviously the face makes this difficult so that is by hand). Wipe down as ever with polish and repeat if you're not satisfied. Once all the polish is off, apply a wheel sealant. I bought the Chemical guys Wheel Sealant about two years ago and still have a third of the pot left. Just follow the instructions and buff off after 20 mins. A couple of coats of wheel shine (I'm still using the Endurance gel from Meguiars you can get from Halfrauds), wiping down the wheel rim afterwards and that's it. Repeat x 4. If you are going to polish the wheels it will take longer but I did the new wheels in about 45 mins working time per wheel (not including the time you leave the wheel sealant or the tyre shine to dwell).

Washing the wheels is a doddle now - so much so that I can afford to leave the brake dust on for weeks, probably a month or more in reality between standard washes of the wheels.

So, in summary, I only use the DB for a deep clean, then protect the wheels. Services washes, I use Bilberry diluted 5:1 and it still works perfectly every time. For those doing, say, more than 5k miles per year, the protection, at least annually, must be worth it. I do about 6k annually at current rates.

I got the inspiration/method from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gYre5R ... IhFS1a-Ehv before which I was a true beginner! The guy in the vid, Greg, is a bit of a douche, but his method is good :thumbsup:

Current wheels are piss-easy to clean, so a service wash takes marginally longer then it takes to run the buckets of water! No more than 10 mins per wheel including washing the arches (long brush). Service wash removes the DB steps, the polishing steps and the wheel removal steps - but still uses two buckets and all of the brushes with diluted Bilberry.

Final thought - if you're going to do the deep clean method, you might as well seal the wheel arch inners/liners and give the caliper and suspension struts a good clean whilst you're in there.

Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

louie12

Wheel Cleaner

Post by louie12 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:08 pm

I've previously used a number of wheel cleaners, the latest being BMW'S own, which whilst OK didn't give the results I wanted (brand new look with zero scrubbing).

I thought I'd give Bilt Hamber a go as the reviews seemed on the whole pretty good. Tried it this morning and the results are awesome. One generous spray, leave for 5 mins and pressure-wash off and the good as new. Best look I've achieved to date. Thoroughly recommend this especially if you're like me and want top results from minimum effort. :thumbsup:
Z4MR silver grey with lots of bits. Now stubby and proud.
Gone: 2007 4 pot Sport. Monaco Blue, cream leather. Whippy and proud.

stevengude

Wheel Cleaner

Post by stevengude » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:13 pm

I find bilberry great for use with a brush. I bought based on advice that it was non acidic and prevented wheel paint from bubbling.. how true that is i dont know.