Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Poorboys black hole or ssr 3?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:45 pm

RickRob wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:32 pm How did anyone actually manage to buy Poorboys' products?

Their website is the maddest thing I have seen since I read a mad article about mad things!
I compare prices on Ebay, Amazon and www.cleanyourcar.co.uk and then order from whoever is cheapest. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:50 pm

RickRob wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:32 pm How did anyone actually manage to buy Poorboys' products?

Their website is the maddest thing I have seen since I read a mad article about mad things!
Amazon Rick :thumbsup:
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks patriot66 and wrs.

Ordered a whole bunch of Poorboys stuff - 2 different scratch removers, black hole and black wax, plus some polish applicators and polishing cloths. Also thought that if I was doing all of that I should ditch the old school chamois and get a micro-fibre drying towel.

You will recognise me as the one with the one with over-developed arms from all of the polishing I'll be doing.

Whilst all of this was primarily for the Zed, the new to us Discovery 4 is at the front of the queue. A lot more to be done there. Only done the front, bonnet and two doors so far. It's like polishing half of a county!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

derin100

Post by derin100 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:47 pm

AlfaScozzesi wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:37 pm I wasn't that I,pressed with black hole and think that a lot of the poorboys stuff is a bit overrated. That said maybe I am doing it wrong. :)

50 cal quick detailer is a brilliant product but I haven't as yet see any of their other products.
I have to agree with you. I've never been overly impressed with any Poorboys stuff that I've bought. But then that's just maybe the results in our hands?

Ultimately, I maintain that very little of it comes down to 'product' and more down to time and effort expended.

That said, due to recent lack of time, all of my cars look s**t! :lol:
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:59 pm

RickRob wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 pm Thanks patriot66 and wrs.

Ordered a whole bunch of Poorboys stuff - 2 different scratch removers, black hole and black wax, plus some polish applicators and polishing cloths. Also thought that if I was doing all of that I should ditch the old school chamois and get a micro-fibre drying towel.

You will recognise me as the one with the one with over-developed arms from all of the polishing I'll be doing.

Whilst all of this was primarily for the Zed, the new to us Discovery 4 is at the front of the queue. A lot more to be done there. Only done the front, bonnet and two doors so far. It's like polishing half of a county!
Whilst the Discovery was at the front of the queue for polishing it lost its place as Mrs R went out in it today. So the Zed got the full Poorboys treatment - SSR2, then SSR1, then Black Hole and then black wax. Whilst I didn't get all of the scratches out it is a lot better and when the sun came out the metallic bits really "popped". No more Turtle Wax Black Box for me.

Here are are the fruits of my endeavours - all elbow grease:

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/ ... b23fxd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/ ... ubk7xf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/ ... d9grzh.jpg[/IMG]

Unfortunately the sun didn't come out once I'd finished, so no pics of its poppingness.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Looks great - mirror finish Rick. Did you polish by hand?

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Wrs wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 pm Looks great - mirror finish Rick. Did you polish by hand?
Thanks Will. It's nearly shiny enough for me to park next to you!

Yep - done by hand. Don't trust myself with motorised polishers. I have this fear that I will end up with a steel coloured car with no paint.

Many many years ago I valeted cars for a living. That was back in the day where T-cut really did take the top layer off the paint. I developed the ability to polish with both hands, so I can get on with it and not get too knackered.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Excellent work Rick ! Looks super glossy. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 pm

patriot66 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 pm Excellent work Rick ! Looks super glossy. :thumbsup:
Thanks.

I have high hopes for the Discovery responding well to similar treatment. It has the advantage that the folk at Solihull seem to be able to put a decent layer of paint on a car, unlike their counterparts at Spartanburg. More pics will follow once the Discovery is done.

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 pm

RickRob wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 pm
Wrs wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 pm Looks great - mirror finish Rick. Did you polish by hand?

Yep - done by hand. Don't trust myself with motorised polishers. I have this fear that I will end up with a steel coloured car with no paint.

Many many years ago I valeted cars for a living. That was back in the day where T-cut really did take the top layer off the paint. I developed the ability to polish with both hands, so I can get on with it and not get too knackered.
:oops: hehe. We can compare black sapphire 'shininess' & 'popping'

I know exactly what you mean. Amy bought me a Dual Action Polisher for Xmas and I haven't plucked up enough courage to give it a go as of yet. I've recently bought a Smart Car black bonnet from eBay to try on first.

Interesting and impressive technique. During your polishing session which PB product do you feel made the best improvement / effect? I used black hole on my previous Z but I felt AG SRP was better from an application & results perspective.

I also used PB wheel sealant but again I was left feeling rather unimpressed. I tried Gtechniq C5 after Rally's recommendation and the difference was night & day (along with the price).

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Wrs wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 pm

I know exactly what you mean. Amy bought me a Dual Action Polisher for Xmas and I haven't plucked up enough courage to give it a go as of yet. I've recently bought a Smart Car black bonnet from eBay to try on first.

Interesting and impressive technique. During your polishing session which PB product do you feel made the best improvement / effect? I used black hole on my previous Z but I felt AG SRP was better from an application & results perspective.

I also used PB wheel sealant but again I was left feeling rather unimpressed. I tried Gtechniq C5 after Rally's recommendation and the difference was night & day (along with the price).
I think the SSR 2 probably made the biggest difference. The paint was starting to look a little tired and it looked really shiny after the SSR 2. I'm not sure that the SSR 1 made any difference at all. If I was at all disappointed it was that the Black Hole didn't fill the stone chips so well. In some respects I have gained super-shininess but also gained more noticeable stone chips.

derin100

Post by derin100 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:09 am

Wrs wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 pm

You won't do any damage with a dual action polisher unless you're willfully neglectful.

I barely even use mine these days because it's too slow for me for most correction purposes. Although, I did start using it to effectively wet-sand the bonnet of the Alpina this weekend. Now I know I've committed myself to hours and hours just on this panel! :|
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black