Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car Detailing

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
FD3S

Car Detailing

Post by FD3S » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:06 pm

Hello guys,

I am thinking to make a car detail present to my Car. The car is a black Z4 M Roadster.
The paint has some scratches and the front fender needs some paint I guess. I will attach photos tomorrow.

What I want is to correct all those issues of the exterior, seal the wheels and clean the motor, seal the roof and make the leather seats to smell again and seem younger if that is possible:)

Since I am new to the detailing section, I would like your help to see if it worths and what is the best way to make it:
1) The shops I have asked they mention that there two options to seal the car. One that lasts for 2 years and I for a lifetime with the right maintenance. The method they use is with some Swissvax products with nano ceramic particles.
a) Have anyone used this method? If yes please could you please tell me what the car is like after 2-3 months? Or one year. Is it still the same as the day they delivered to you with the sealant? Which procedure should I choose the 2 year of the lifetime?
b) Are there are any products that are similar to the quality of Swissvax or better?
c) With sealing the roof of the roadster is that ok for the roof or due to the fact that those are chemicals can "destroy" the roof in the long term?
d) Is there anything that you should carefully look before you choose the right detailer or the right detailing technique for you car?
e) Is there something you can do to make your leathers from the interior to look young again? Expect of changing them :rofl:
f) Does it worth the whole procedure or it is a hype?

P.S: I have read previous posts but they do not answer most of the questions above.
Last edited by FD3S on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Car Detailing

Post by RickRob » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:21 pm

I too have a black Z4M roadster. In my opinion these "last forever with the correct maintance" claims really mean nothing. Get the paint back to no polish with a claymitt, get rid of surface scratches, seal and wax. The sealant will last 6 to 9 months if you wax every couple of months. The exercise does you good, there's not that much metal to polish and the act of so doing allows you to spot and treat any emerging issues.

I do my soft top with Autoglym's products. I have read that the soft top is supposed to breathe, but beading on the roof equals "good" in my book. The Zed is nearly 10 years old and the roof isn't going to disintegrate any day soon!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

FD3S

Car Detailing

Post by FD3S » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 pm

RickRob wrote:I too have a black Z4M roadster. In my opinion these "last forever with the correct maintance" claims really mean nothing. Get the paint back to no polish with a claymitt, get rid of surface scratches, seal and wax. The sealant will last 6 to 9 months if you wax every couple of months. The exercise does you good, there's not that much metal to polish and the act of so doing allows you to spot and treat any emerging issues.

I do my soft top with Autoglym's products. I have read that the soft top is supposed to breathe, but beading on the roof equals "good" in my book. The Zed is nearly 10 years old and the roof isn't going to disintegrate any day soon!

Thanks for your message Rick.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Car Detailing

Post by markeg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:52 am

You don't mention in what area you live; there are a few detailers on the forum ranging from the gifted amateurs to professionals, who should be on here soon offering advice and product feedback!

Personally, I've been tempted by the paint correction and ceramic coatings, but for now I tend to repair paint blemishes, polish (using a DA) and maintain the car's paintwork myself. A forum you may be interested in is detailingworld.co.uk, free to sign up and full of useful information on the coatings used etc. There are loads of products around - i love the Gtechniq stuff and rate it very highly - and a quick search shows this thread on durability tests
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Sharkz4

Car Detailing

Post by Sharkz4 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:32 am

I too am looking at restoring the paint on my 2007 Sapphire Black Roadster.

I am In Australia and Have been encouraged to buy this particular products, anyone had any history with these or has any feedback? Would be helpful. I am new to this so, advice is very valuable, particularly from those from a like minded group such as this forum. :(

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/shine ... lisher-kit

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/concours-leather-kit
2007 Sapphire Black, 2.5i, Red Interior

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Car Detailing

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:46 am

Sharkz4 wrote:I too am looking at restoring the paint on my 2007 Sapphire Black Roadster.

I am In Australia and Have been encouraged to buy this particular products, anyone had any history with these or has any feedback? Would be helpful. I am new to this so, advice is very valuable, particularly from those from a like minded group such as this forum. :(

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/shine ... lisher-kit

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/concours-leather-kit
Hi, I've not used the products you've listed but you're doing the right thing by going for a DA over a rotary polisher-much more user friendly for the less experienced user :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

JoshW

Car Detailing

Post by JoshW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:07 pm

I recommend giving this a good read: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=66024. It's a fantastic guide for Rotary and DA polishers, and how to actually get your paintwork defect free from swirls and RDS which make it look flat and non-shiny. If there are scratches and swirl marks, the paintwork will look mediocre no matter how much wax is applied. Menzerna are my go to products for detailing also, take a few moments and have a look through their stuff! :thumbsup:

FD3S

Car Detailing

Post by FD3S » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:05 am

markeg wrote:You don't mention in what area you live; there are a few detailers on the forum ranging from the gifted amateurs to professionals, who should be on here soon offering advice and product feedback!

Personally, I've been tempted by the paint correction and ceramic coatings, but for now I tend to repair paint blemishes, polish (using a DA) and maintain the car's paintwork myself. A forum you may be interested in is detailingworld.co.uk, free to sign up and full of useful information on the coatings used etc. There are loads of products around - i love the Gtechniq stuff and rate it very highly - and a quick search shows this thread on durability tests
Hello Markeg,

First thank you very much for your reply. I live in Athens-Greece. Far away from UK unfortunately to find a local gifted professional.

This forum seems like a small treasure. Tons of information and especially this thread. Could you tell me what kind of equipment do you have?

Anakin

Car Detailing

Post by Anakin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:22 am

My detailer uses nanolex products, had it on my TT for over 3 years, just had it applied to my Z4. It will happily last 3 years with maintenance. Pretty sure there is a nanolex dealer in Athens too give them a call and ask :)

http://www.nanolex.gr/contact/map/
Monaco Blue Z4M Roadster & Solar Orange TT RS

FD3S

Car Detailing

Post by FD3S » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:17 am

Anakin wrote:My detailer uses nanolex products, had it on my TT for over 3 years, just had it applied to my Z4. It will happily last 3 years with maintenance. Pretty sure there is a nanolex dealer in Athens too give them a call and ask :)

http://www.nanolex.gr/contact/map/
I have contact them after your previous post searching for what was Nanolex. :D During this week when I will find some time I will pass by to discuss about the car. Thanks for your post and help.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Car Detailing

Post by markeg » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:21 pm

FD3S wrote:First thank you very much for your reply. I live in Athens-Greece. Far away from UK unfortunately to find a local gifted professional. This forum seems like a small treasure. Tons of information and especially this thread. Could you tell me what kind of equipment do you have?
I use a Meguiars G220 v2 DA polisher with a variety of pads (usually Gtechniq, Meguiars or Flexipads) and compounds (like Menzerna, Meguiars, and Gtechniq) for the polishing activities.

Normally, I do a major paint rework in spring - clean down the paintwork, repair any defects, flatten bad areas with wet & dry, then a polish all over before sealing (using Gtechniq) and finally a wax.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."