Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bilt hamber

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
LordOxygen

Bilt hamber

Post by LordOxygen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Decided to take the plunge and order some Bilt Hamber detailing gear for the first time. I've been a using Meguires stuff on my daily drives for the last few years and rate their Gold shampoo & the combined wash and wax, which do a fine job keeping my motorway cruiser looking presentable. However for my Zed I've decided to push the boat out, I've ordered their Soft clay bar (paint work is already in good condition), Auto QD, cleanser polish, finis wax and a new wash mitt to tip my order into free delivery.
I'll try to wait until later in the spring before using it as the finish on the car is still beading water, (i'll knock off whatever is remaining with some Clean Slate I already have.)
Based on all the positive reviews and coming top in many comparison tests, it appears to be good value.

Has anyone tried their snow foam? that looks to be dirt cheap considering the quantity you get for the money.
Is it any good?

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Bilt hamber

Post by firebobby » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:12 pm

LordOxygen wrote:Decided to take the plunge and order some Bilt Hamber detailing gear for the first time. I've been a using Meguires stuff on my daily drives for the last few years and rate their Gold shampoo & the combined wash and wax, which do a fine job keeping my motorway cruiser looking presentable. However for my Zed I've decided to push the boat out, I've ordered their Soft clay bar (paint work is already in good condition), Auto QD, cleanser polish, finis wax and a new wash mitt to tip my order into free delivery.
I'll try to wait until later in the spring before using it as the finish on the car is still beading water, (i'll knock off whatever is remaining with some Clean Slate I already have.)
Based on all the positive reviews and coming top in many comparison tests, it appears to be good value.

Has anyone tried their snow foam? that looks to be dirt cheap considering the quantity you get for the money.
Is it any good?
I have used their under body waxes and anti rust items before, pleased with the results so far.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Zoomer

Bilt hamber

Post by Zoomer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Used their snow foam and can recommend it. It's doesn't give the most suds, but seems to lift the road debris very well.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

cyrilsneer88

Bilt hamber

Post by cyrilsneer88 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 am

Have been using bolt hamber clay for ages, great value for money.
I use the snow foam but not sure if I will continue to use once in used up the tub... it treats it ok but there's no density to the foam and doesn't 'cling' as well which is part of the theatre when I'm doing customer cars... I tend to use a traffic film remover or a degreaser aswell as the hilt hamber snow foam... generally though I'm a big fan of bilt hamber!
E85 roadster 2006, 2.5 Si, M-sport, titanium silver.

LordOxygen

Bilt hamber

Post by LordOxygen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:19 pm

It all turned up this afternoon, very nice :)
They reckon you can do 4 or 5 cars with the small tub of finis-wax.

LewisB

Bilt hamber

Post by LewisB » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:48 pm

LordOxygen wrote:It all turned up this afternoon, very nice :)
They reckon you can do 4 or 5 cars with the small tub of finis-wax.

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:
Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Ruby Black - Champagne Nappa leather - my weekend drive......

csquire4

Bilt hamber

Post by csquire4 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:10 pm

I'm a big fan of the cay bar. Best to cut off a small piece, use it and then throw away.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

LordOxygen

Bilt hamber

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:51 pm

One thing led to another this afternoon, after I washed and dried our 16 yr old runabout K11 Micra I decided to give the BH gear a go on the basis I wanted to perfect the technique on a car that doesn't matter. Plus it was dry and cool so ideal conditions.
I reckon this was the first time in it's 16 years it had been clayed, I purchased the soft clay as the Zed's paint is in good condition, was a bit unsure how much I'd need to do the Micra. I'd say there's about 90% left, its really good stuff. Hose pipe on hand to keep it lubricated, (no need for detailer spray with this stuff) easy to work and reshape. I think you'd have to have really bad paint to need the firmer clays they offer.

From there the star purchase for me was the Polish. It was so simple to apply with the foam applicator pad. No white marks and no dust at all when buffing off. The Finis wax is dead easy to apply and buff off, you need to apply it very sparingly, which is good as the small tin will last for ages.
I can't see me buying any Meguiars or Autoglym equivalents again. Very impressed.

I'll post again once the Zed has been worked on later in the spring.