Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Random car cleaning irritations

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:00 pm

What gets your goat?

Only had an hour or so this morning so decided to tackle the wheels.

1) Getting in behind the brake calipers (small wheel woolie even too big)
2) Driving back to the parking space and finding dirty water has appeared from somewhere and settled on your nice clean inner wheel
3) Wheel weight residue (scared to tackle these as last time I did the lacquer came off too)

Please share your OCD stresses :)
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:39 pm

mv2s..lovely wheel...bugger to clean... yeah trying to keep the calipers clean too is a pita
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Get some 19" wheels Mark, or move the car back a couple of feet to clean the bits of the wheels you couldn't get to because of the calipers.

Top tip for wing mirrors. After washing fold up as it stops the water for pooling inside them.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:25 pm

srhutch wrote:move the car back a couple of feet to clean the bits of the wheels you couldn't get to because of the calipers.

Top tip for wing mirrors. After washing fold up as it stops the water for pooling inside them.
:thumbsup:
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Dew on car overnight after a good clean which leaves water marks!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Get a blower to blow the water out of the vented brake discs to prevent rust streaks later on :lol:

Wear ear protectors though as the noice is quite deafening whilst doing that ...
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:54 pm

pvr wrote:Get a blower to blow the water out of the vented brake discs to prevent rust streaks later on :lol:

Wear ear protectors though as the noice is quite deafening whilst doing that ...
I hate rusty discs so use my garden leaf blower to dry them off ! Stops the rusty residue ending up all over your nice clean alloys too. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:55 pm

srhutch wrote:Get some 19" wheels Mark, or move the car back a couple of feet to clean the bits of the wheels you couldn't get to because of the calipers.

+1 :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Nice tip on the mirrors, never thought of that.

My grip is the seemingly impossible task of getting all the bits up from the carpet and slide rails that are down the sides of the front seats.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Bird s**t appearing right after a wash/wax/detail. Aarrrrrrrrgh!

More specifically, round here in Holland where I am atm, it's ducksh!t -as building regs require a certain amount of water channels between newbuild houses, inline with traditional dutch surroundings etc blah blah.

Subsequently the ducky population has exploded and i dunno what the fek they eat but when they go dive-bombing it looks almost like an alien from the planet Flob landed and died on the bodywork!!!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:23 pm

LordOxygen wrote:Nice tip on the mirrors, never thought of that.

My grip is the seemingly impossible task of getting all the bits up from the carpet and slide rails that are down the sides of the front seats.
I bought the Miele set for that, is about £50 and contains the carpet roller attachment as well as very long thin pieces to get to those impossible areas. It also comes with a 3 meter hose which makes life easier.

You obviously need a Miele vacuum for it though.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:46 pm

patriot66 wrote:
pvr wrote:Get a blower to blow the water out of the vented brake discs to prevent rust streaks later on :lol:

I hate rusty discs so use my garden leaf blower to dry them off ! Stops the rusty residue ending up all over your nice clean alloys too. :thumbsup:
I always wash the wheels as soon as I get back from a drive, even in the rain :roll: . That way the heat dry's the discs, so no rust. :D

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 pm

With you on the seat rails, the boot seems to retain more than it's fair share after a hoover too

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:32 pm

pvr wrote:

I bought the Miele set for that, is about £50 and contains the carpet roller attachment as well as very long thin pieces to get to those impossible areas. It also comes with a 3 meter hose which makes life easier.

You obviously need a Miele vacuum for it though.
Always nice to see a link, might encourage me to get my wallet open for once

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Can't find the exact one I have, but this is close:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miele-9060330- ... NS20DFVQE3
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo