Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Polisher newbie

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
lordgrover

Polisher newbie

Post by lordgrover » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:17 am

DAS6-PRO arrived this week and the weather's not looking too bad tomorrow, cool and overcast but dry, so I'm going to have a bash at the Z4.
Not sure how good/bad the paint is yet, I'll assess once I've washed and clayed it.
Plan is:
  • Rinse with PW
  • Snow foam
  • 2BM wash
  • Rinse with PW
  • Towel dry
  • Clay
  • Rinse/Wash?
  • Polish
I have some Korrosol Iron Remover - should I use this before I start or slot it in somewhere else before the claying?

billz

Polisher newbie

Post by billz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:42 am

If you are going to machine polish it then all i would do is wash with a heavy mix of Fairy Liquid then rinse, dry then clay bar. No point doing any of the other stuff as you do not want to put on anything that has the slightest possibility of putting more of a coating on. The Fairy Liquid will brake down any polish that is on the car so you should just have the bare top coat to work on. Other wise you will be spending time polishing off the polish. If that makes sense.
3.0si Ruby Black, Champagne Leather, 3SDM Alloys Scorpion Exhaust

lordgrover

Polisher newbie

Post by lordgrover » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:33 am

Now that's something new to me. Runs counter to everything else I've read, but makes sense. I'll give it some thought.

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Polisher newbie

Post by RickRob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:39 am

I agree with billz. Usually you mustn't use washing up liquid because it removes the polish, but on this occasion, that's exactly why you should use washing up liquid.

Good luck with the piloshing and don't forget to share pics of the newly shiny Zed. :)
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Nova2k7

Polisher newbie

Post by Nova2k7 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:18 am

billz wrote:If you are going to machine polish it then all i would do is wash with a heavy mix of Fairy Liquid then rinse, dry then clay bar. No point doing any of the other stuff as you do not want to put on anything that has the slightest possibility of putting more of a coating on. The Fairy Liquid will brake down any polish that is on the car so you should just have the bare top coat to work on. Other wise you will be spending time polishing off the polish. If that makes sense.
Fairy Liquid contains salt, salt = abrasive

dont use washing up liquid. use a dedicated prewash

lordgrover

Polisher newbie

Post by lordgrover » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 am

The boot lid is silky smooth but swirls and scratches remain. Probably needs a cutting pad/compound but I bottled it.

Interested to know what this is though. Looks like tiny rust bubbles but I have no real idea, certainly don't know how to tackle it - maybe best left to pros.

Ben-R

Polisher newbie

Post by Ben-R » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Polishing looks great! :thumbsup:

I did my F10 last week, same colour too, and like you I bottled it on the swirl correction front. Happy with the result though, I might muster up some courage to use something with more cutting next time.

Those little bubbles look very similar to what I have on my MX5. My bonnet almost looks wet as it's covered in these, I'm told it's moisture trapped between the paint layers which is a result of poor prep following a previous paint job.

Not sure if yours is similar, definitely one for the pro's.
E85 3.0i SE Auto
F10 530d SE Auto
MX5 mk1 (with lots of upgrades!)

Previous:
E39 528i
E36 318i