Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clearcoat on bare metal

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Jaw

Clearcoat on bare metal

Post by Jaw » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:34 am

Hey guys!

Wondering if anyone here might know!

I'm looking to do a bare metal polish on the supra and clear coat. Some clear coats tend to be porous and I've been told that rust could be a problem - just wondering if anyone knew what was the best stuff for the job?

Potentially will Wrap over it in the future if the effect doesn't come out the way I'm planning (and will possibly wrap it in company livery) - so would also need to stand up to that too..

Any input appreciated!
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Clearcoat on bare metal

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:49 am

Why not give it an initial zinc coat first?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

G600

Clearcoat on bare metal

Post by G600 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:04 am

What about a clear stone chip guard type wrap?
E85 3.0

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Clearcoat on bare metal

Post by markeg » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:38 pm

I've seen them on the likes of Fast 'n Loud, where they clearcoat over bare metal/patina to seal the distressed look, so I would expect it to work - but it's going to show up every defect in the metal.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Buckz

Clearcoat on bare metal

Post by Buckz » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Yup some clear coats are porous and rust start forming under neath, i had a bmx frame a few years back clear coated over cromoly and that started rusting quickly

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Clearcoat on bare metal

Post by Nictrix » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Years ago I had a polished alloy swingarm on one of my bikes and enquired about getting it clear coated to protect it.
Didn't manage to get it done as most places said they would have trouble getting the coating to stick without reacting with whatever polish was on the metal. they also said that the coating would probably yellow with age and end up looking cack.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jaw

Clearcoat on bare metal

Post by Jaw » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:42 am

Thanks for the responses so far guys :)
Buckz wrote:Yup some clear coats are porous and rust start forming under neath, i had a bmx frame a few years back clear coated over cromoly and that started rusting quickly
Cheers for that feared it would be the case, are there reasonable non-porous options?
G600 wrote:What about a clear stone chip guard type wrap?
Cheers deffo an option - will still have to seal it somehow that said as I'd imagine moisture would still get under a wrap. Would stop the yellowing that nitrix mentioned though
markeg wrote:I've seen them on the likes of Fast 'n Loud, where they clearcoat over bare metal/patina to seal the distressed look, so I would expect it to work - but it's going to show up every defect in the metal.
That's what triggered the thought; thinking about it maybe they're not trying to seal the distressed look but just slow down the worsening?

Not too bothered on the defects, through some miracle the body is nice and straight so will invest the hours up front in polishing the metalwork before sealing by whatever means
Chris_D wrote:Why not give it an initial zinc coat first?
Did wonder if galvanising would be an option could be quicker and cheaper than painting - especially if it's going to sit without a wrap for a few more months - but by all accounts it makes painting an issue if I went that route with primer not taking to the metal as well? So I wonder if wrap would be the same and not take too well to the galved steel? I spose that way I'd be stuck with having to wrap it which isn't the end of the world

Nictrix wrote:Years ago I had a polished alloy swingarm on one of my bikes and enquired about getting it clear coated to protect it.
Didn't manage to get it done as most places said they would have trouble getting the coating to stick without reacting with whatever polish was on the metal. they also said that the coating would probably yellow with age and end up looking cack.
Cheers thats the dilemma I suppose I'm limited to looking for a wrap that will do the protecting and I just need to find a way to seal the metal :/
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Clearcoat on bare metal

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:57 am

Chris_D wrote:Why not give it an initial zinc coat first?
Did wonder if galvanising would be an option could be quicker and cheaper than painting - especially if it's going to sit without a wrap for a few more months - but by all accounts it makes painting an issue if I went that route with primer not taking to the metal as well? So I wonder if wrap would be the same and not take too well to the galved steel? I spose that way I'd be stuck with having to wrap it which isn't the end of the world

Use a zinc primer then. Has to be inorganic type tho, to spray well.
Then you will have a protected, paintable, prepared surface should you decide to reverse the wrap.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.