Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Meguiars ultimate compound

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Any feedback or opinions from forum members? I have this but haven't used it yet. Is it good for a 1 step application for the less OCD fussy? Just looking to clean up some minor swirl marks with a DA polishing machine. I've got white and orange chemical guys hex logic pads so I can hopefully control the level of correction.

I've also been looking at scholl S20 black which has some great reviews as it can both cut heavy but also fine polish, depending on type of pad used.
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:51 pm

It's good stuff! :thumbsup:
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:22 am

Hi, its the only compound ive used with my da so ive nothing to compare it to, however I am pleased with it :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Rufus59

Post by Rufus59 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 am

I've seen some reviews online talking about holograms and the need to follow up with a less abrasive polish to remove them. I'm not really up for a two step process so I was wondering if your "average joe" such as myself noticed anything like this or if you needed a very keen detailers eye?

I was planning on starting with a white hex logic pad and seeing how that turned out.

Thanks
E85 3.0l i Roadster - Titan Silver

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:28 pm

I've previously used the medium cutting Hex-Logic orange pad (step 1) in conjunction with a good cutting compound. Hex-Logic White pad (step 2) for applying a polish and for removing holograms, buffer trails, and compound marring . Black pad (step 3) I use for applying thin coats of wax, glaze or sealant.

Unfortunately, holograms and compound marring are a normal byproduct of aggressive paint removal. The white pad has only very light cutting power and I doubt you will remove many swirls as BMW paint is really tough. To remove swirls you really have to work hard with quite a number of passes required even with an orange pad. I have also tried the Hex-Logic heavy cut yellow pad, which worked better for me.

Unfortunately I have no experience of scholl S20 black.

I have just bought some Meguiars microfibre cutting and finishing pads, correction compound and finishing wax. I have heard some good reports about them, but never tried them before. However it is a 2 step process to achieve optimum results!
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Marc-j wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 am I've seen some reviews online talking about holograms and the need to follow up with a less abrasive polish to remove them. I'm not really up for a two step process so I was wondering if your "average joe" such as myself noticed anything like this or if you needed a very keen detailers eye?

I was planning on starting with a white hex logic pad and seeing how that turned out.

Thanks

That will be through incorrect use..

Megs ultimate will actually work to the base oil if worked correctly and isnt worked too quickly.

Its great stuff,some others will cut quicker but IMHO megs is really safe. Use with a microfibre cutting pad on BMW paint and it will do the job without mither.