Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The AG Treatment

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
trick4

The AG Treatment

Post by trick4 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Everybody has their own technique and products. I'm a relative newbie, and just stuck with what I knew which is pretty much all Auto Glym. Yesterday I gave my sapphire black roadster its first detailing under my ownership.

- Wash (fairy liquid)
- Claybar
- Wash (Bodywork Shampoo)
- Super Resin Polish x 3
- HD Wax

Here's the results:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ ... vyx6nd.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ ... flptji.jpg[/IMG]

Got rid of most of the hairline marks, although I still have a few stubborn water marks which probably need some chemical treatment or orbital polisher to remove. All in all, happy for around 4 hours work though!
Last edited by trick4 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.0si Sport Roadster | Sapphire Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

The AG Treatment

Post by Smartbear » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi, what makes you use fairy liquid? Do you know it's corrosive & has salt in it :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

chapeau

The AG Treatment

Post by chapeau » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm

That's a classy looking finish on the paint. Makes me want to get out and clean mine. May have to wait til the weekend though.

I've heard washing up liquid removes everything from paintwork (wax etc) and gives a completely clean base to start with... Can't say I've tried it though.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

The AG Treatment

Post by Smartbear » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:02 pm

chapeau wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm That's a classy looking finish on the paint. Makes me want to get out and clean mine. May have to wait til the weekend though.

I've heard washing up liquid removes everything from paintwork (wax etc) and gives a completely clean base to start with... Can't say I've tried it though.

That would be true, but it also goes on the discs/calipers etc :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

trick4

The AG Treatment

Post by trick4 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:02 pm
chapeau wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 pm That's a classy looking finish on the paint. Makes me want to get out and clean mine. May have to wait til the weekend though.

Rob
Yeah I'd read about it on detailing world to help strip any previous wax/fillers off. Definitely not a regular thing, i normally use AG bodywork shampoo (and did here after the claybaring). I don't use the suds on the wheels either, just Iron Out, but would it really do any more harm than a few months of salted roads in the winter? The whole car gets a thorough rinse too.
3.0si Sport Roadster | Sapphire Black

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

The AG Treatment

Post by paulgs1000 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:34 pm

That looks brilliant - fabulous result :thumbsup: I'm a fan of AG Super Resin Polish as it's sooo easy to use and gives very good results.
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

The AG Treatment

Post by Smartbear » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:00 pm

trick4 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Rob
Yeah I'd read about it on detailing world to help strip any previous wax/fillers off. Definitely not a regular thing, i normally use AG bodywork shampoo (and did here after the claybaring). I don't use the suds on the wheels either, just Iron Out, but would it really do any more harm than a few months of salted roads in the winter? The whole car gets a thorough rinse too.

You're probably right about the winter roads, I just couldn't bring myself to pour a salty mixture over my car :cry:
I'm sure it's fine after a decent rinse :)
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

chapeau

The AG Treatment

Post by chapeau » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:00 pm You're probably right about the winter roads, I just couldn't bring myself to pour a salty mixture over my car :cry:
Rob
That's why I haven't done it either. :o

I always been told historically that it is a sure fire way to lose the shine on your paint, but only recently heard someone on here mention it as part of their routine so perhaps not as bad as first thought so long as not a regular thing?
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

The AG Treatment

Post by patriot66 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:34 am

Your car looks superb trick4 ! A credit to your hardwork and there is nowt wrong with Autoglym products :thumbsup: Once or twice a year I clay my car and always use washing up liquid in hot water as the lubricant/wax stripper then thoroughly rinse it all off and no harm done. I definitely wouldn't use it otherwise and after reading this I might think twice about ever washing the dishes by hand again :( http://www.theecologist.org/green_green ... iquid.html
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

derin100

The AG Treatment

Post by derin100 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:00 pm
trick4 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Rob

You're probably right about the winter roads, I just couldn't bring myself to pour a salty mixture over my car :cry:
Rob
It's definitely the right thing to do as a one-off before starting a really thorough detail as it will take off all previous products. Gets you back to 'Ground Zero'. I've done this for years as it used to be advocated on the U.S detailing forum that I used to go on nearly 20 years ago (yikes!)...way before anyone was using the word "detailing" here in the U.K.

Granted washing-up liquid isn't a good idea to use as your standard car-wash solution but as a one-off it won't do any harm.

Very nice result there OP! :thumbsup:
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black