Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First time detailing questions.

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Tomsdad

Post by Tomsdad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:23 am

Hi everyone. I want to detail the paintwork of my 2007 Montego blue Z4. It looks a million dollars from 20 feet away but has swirls and light scratches. I have never done this before so am a bit scared. Having read all I can online I spoke with the guys at "clean your cat" and this was their advice.
I just wanted to run it past you guys who have done this before to make sure it all makes sense.

1. Das 6 pro - on offer at the moment
2. Pre wash- doesn't really matter what make this is
3. Clay - Meguires smooth surface clay kit
4. Compound- Sonex cut max orange hex logic pad 5". This choice was because the BMW paint is very hard.
5. Polish- Menzerna super finish- mild abrasive to clear marks from compounding
6. Sealant and or wax- they said personal choice here. But sealant was "man made and more durable" Wax was more natural.

Kind regards
2007 3.0 Si
Montego Blue
Manual

scooobydont

Post by scooobydont » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Yes, pretty much.

I would get a test panel if you can from a breaker and get used to the DA. It's not as daunting as it seems, its very hard to damage paint with a DA but getting your technique right gives the best results and no point 'practicing' on your pride and joy.

It's worth popping over here if you have not already, very helpful and friendly forum, have a good read:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

billz

Post by billz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 pm

If you have somewhere where you can put it indoors then you could always think of applying a nano coating Such as Gtechniq CSL or EXOv2
3.0si Ruby Black, Champagne Leather, 3SDM Alloys Scorpion Exhaust

Tomsdad

Post by Tomsdad » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Rest website

Thanks
2007 3.0 Si
Montego Blue
Manual