Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wetlook?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
billz

Wetlook?

Post by billz » Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Kingfisher wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am Hi again ... I probably didn't word my original question very well ... I should have put emphasis on finish.
The car is fully prepped and polished, done professionally before I bought it, it's just the very final bit I was wondering about, after all the claying/polishing etc etc ...... I'll try the Topaz ... thanks Marlon & Smartbear ... :)
I believe the wet look you are after is what i call a mirror type look. It really does depend on what the detailer has put on as a final stage.
Mine is in at the moment getting a 2 stage machine polish (does not need the 3 stage) then they are applying Gtechniq Serum Light and 2 coats of Gtechniq Exo v2 (v3 came out after i bought it) This should result in the car having a really deep Mirror finish. If yours has only been polished without a coating put on then i would recommend using a high quality wax, I use Swissvax Shield very easy to put on and take off and though expensive you will be surprised how little you use and should last around 3 months, but i used to put it on every time i washed it to help keep it built up.
The shine of your car is only as good as it was when it received its final polish if this is not good enough then maybe your detailer did not bring the best out of the paint.
There are good detailers and detailers. I had it done last year and it was a mess, hence why i am having it done again
3.0si Ruby Black, Champagne Leather, 3SDM Alloys Scorpion Exhaust

JAD

Wetlook?

Post by JAD » Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 am

billz wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 pm
Kingfisher wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am Hi again ... I probably didn't word my original question very well ... I should have put emphasis on finish.
The car is fully prepped and polished, done professionally before I bought it, it's just the very final bit I was wondering about, after all the claying/polishing etc etc ...... I'll try the Topaz ... thanks Marlon & Smartbear ... :)
I believe the wet look you are after is what i call a mirror type look. It really does depend on what the detailer has put on as a final stage.
Mine is in at the moment getting a 2 stage machine polish (does not need the 3 stage) then they are applying Gtechniq Serum Light and 2 coats of Gtechniq Exo v2 (v3 came out after i bought it) This should result in the car having a really deep Mirror finish. If yours has only been polished without a coating put on then i would recommend using a high quality wax, I use Swissvax Shield very easy to put on and take off and though expensive you will be surprised how little you use and should last around 3 months, but i used to put it on every time i washed it to help keep it built up.
The shine of your car is only as good as it was when it received its final polish if this is not good enough then maybe your detailer did not bring the best out of the paint.
There are good detailers and detailers. I had it done last year and it was a mess, hence why i am having it done again
Exactly. But remember; he has "given up". :roll:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Wetlook?

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 am

Ouch...

OP, all people wanted was a little more info than "the car has been detailed to perfection" surely if that was the case then you'd not be looking for advice, which is why more info was needed, in order to give you the correct advice...

Mike

straight6fan

Wetlook?

Post by straight6fan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:59 pm

I dont know if this helps but i use Bouncer's Done & Dusted QD as a final finish to the car. It give an excellent "wet look" gloss shine, easy to apply and excellent overall. I'd give that a go.
BMW Z SERIES Z4 SDRIVE20I M SPORT ROADSTER, Extended Lighting, Extended Storage, Cruise Control, Heated Seats 326 Alloys

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Wetlook?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:10 pm

50 cal show glaze

Job done

JAD

Wetlook?

Post by JAD » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:46 am

straight6fan wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:59 pm I dont know if this helps but i use Bouncer's Done & Dusted QD as a final finish to the car. It give an excellent "wet look" gloss shine, easy to apply and excellent overall. I'd give that a go.
It also smells like sherbet fizz which is divine!

Ed Doe

Wetlook?

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 pm

To be totally honest Kingfisher, JAD has said nothing wrong, you genuinely haven't given the required level of detail to help advise you properly in the first place. Don't think we're being unfriendly, I think there was a genuine concern at what you were using to prologue the life of the detail done on your car - using a polish after waxing will just strip the wax, reducing the wet look you're after, so clarification on the product you were using was essential!

Anyway hope you find the right solution for your paint int he long run!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

stevespg

Wetlook?

Post by stevespg » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:29 pm

This thread is useless without an armchair....
Z4 3.0si - gone
Z4MR - gone
E89 35i - gone

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Wetlook?

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:10 pm 50 cal show glaze

Job done
With a Topaz topper & AutoFinesse Finale thrown on top , now these 3 may not be up to some of the other stuff mentioned but £35 buys the lot , they are all supremely quick & easy to apply , effortless to remove (by hand or machine ) plus the overall finish is mighty impressive for rank amateurs like myself :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/50-Cal-Cover-U ... 0cal+glaze

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autosmart-Top ... SwzqFY9OPB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Motorbik ... e+qd+spray
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

AlfaScozzesi

Wetlook?

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:17 pm

I love topaz (a Wilks recommendation from years ago and on my second litre now) but 50 cal QD is my even quicker and easier product. The gloss it gives is great.

Just got delivery of the Wolfgang stuff that someone on here was touting but haven't managed to use it yet.