Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wetlook?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Kingfisher

Wetlook?

Post by Kingfisher » Sun May 14, 2017 10:59 am

Just been looking at the May Competition pics and I'm sorry if this has been discussed a million times before but, what's the top recommendation for a product which gives the best 'wetlook' finish? I currently use the Autoglym Extra Resin stuff as a finisher but it doesn't come up anything like as shiny as some of the cars in those pics! So ...... ??? ... :|
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Wetlook?

Post by markeg » Sun May 14, 2017 11:19 am

HDR with a touch of photoshop filters :)

... seriously though, mine shines pretty well (IMO) for a 14-year-old car, and it's down to a good polish with a DA, hex pads and varying levels of Meguiars polish (to remove any surface scratches), gTechnic c2v3 sealant, then a few layers of wax - I use Poorboys. Generally, though, it's mostly in the prep work with the polish as, if the base isn't good, the colours don't fully "pop".
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Ben-R

Wetlook?

Post by Ben-R » Sun May 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Completely agree with markeg on putting the time in on your paintwork. It makes a big difference compared to just a quick wash & hand polish.

Also (and I know nothing about photography, I take photos using my iPhone), but the light makes a big difference also as too much light can make what looks great by the eye, look naff on a photo. And visa versa for lack of light of course.
E85 3.0i SE Auto
F10 530d SE Auto
MX5 mk1 (with lots of upgrades!)

Previous:
E39 528i
E36 318i

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Wetlook?

Post by Marlon » Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I recommend Topaz to finish off - nice wet look :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Wetlook?

Post by Smartbear » Sun May 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm I recommend Topaz to finish off - nice wet look :thumbsup:
I second Marlon's recommendation, Topaz gives good results for minimal effort 8)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Kingfisher

Wetlook?

Post by Kingfisher » Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 am

Hi again ... I probably didn't word my original question very well ... I should have put emphasis on finish.
The car is fully prepped and polished, done professionally before I bought it, it's just the very final bit I was wondering about, after all the claying/polishing etc etc ...... I'll try the Topaz ... thanks Marlon & Smartbear ... :)

JAD

Wetlook?

Post by JAD » Mon May 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Kingfisher wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:59 am Just been looking at the May Competition pics and I'm sorry if this has been discussed a million times before but, what's the top recommendation for a product which gives the best 'wetlook' finish? I currently use the Autoglym Extra Resin stuff as a finisher but it doesn't come up anything like as shiny as some of the cars in those pics! So ...... ??? ... :|
Sorry to butt in... "Extra Resin" means you are likely using two products here; Extra Gloss Protection and Super Resin Polish. Both are very much the basic product for Joe Public from Halfords.

The wet look you are after is very much more down to how the car is prep'd - majority of looks come from the polishing stages.

When you say the car has already been prep'd, in what way and by whom?

Kingfisher

Wetlook?

Post by Kingfisher » Mon May 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Prepped to perfection by a professional detailer ... I just want to make sure it stays as shiny as I can keep it by using the best recommended stuff on top of how it looks now. I'm only using the Autoglym Extra jollop because that's all I've got in my garage ... hence my question ... it hasn't been polished with Autoglym polish. I've no idea what the detailer used.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Wetlook?

Post by patriot66 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Kingfisher wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 6:15 pm Prepped to perfection by a professional detailer ... I just want to make sure it stays as shiny as I can keep it by using the best recommended stuff on top of how it looks now. I'm only using the Autoglym Extra jollop because that's all I've got in my garage ... hence my question ... it hasn't been polished with Autoglym polish. I've no idea what the detailer used.
When you originally said Autoglym Extra Resin did you mean Autoglym Super Resin Polish. If so then this is a very mildly abrasive polish combined with a silicone resin filler/glaze. To really get that high gloss 'wet-look' shine you need paintwork completely free of swirl marks etc that act to diffuse light and create 'haze'. Then you need to build depth by layering up filler glaze and then put a reflective top surface of several coats of quality wax on. Which products you use is down to personal choice and experimentation. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Kingfisher

Wetlook?

Post by Kingfisher » Tue May 16, 2017 10:27 am

I've just been and looked at the bottle ... it's called Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. As I said above, twice, I'm not looking for advice on how to polish a car or get rid of swirlmarks etc ... the car is detailed to perfection already ... I was just enquiring as to how best to keep it that way by topping it off with something 'wet-look'.

JAD

Wetlook?

Post by JAD » Tue May 16, 2017 10:54 am

Kingfisher wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:27 am I've just been and looked at the bottle ... it's called Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. As I said above, twice, I'm not looking for advice on how to polish a car or get rid of swirlmarks etc ... the car is detailed to perfection already ... I was just enquiring as to how best to keep it that way by topping it off with something 'wet-look'.
Yes, we get that, chap - but twice you have been asked what you are using and what has been done to the car. The reason myself and another have asked specifically is because you are most likely inducing swirls in the paintwork if you are using the wrong product. And EGP is average at best, plus relies on the prep underneath to last/look good. So calm your horses, my friend.

Please go back to your detailer and ask what exactly was used to top the paintwork as a last stage product. Wax? If so, likely to have a life of 3-12 months, depending on quality. Semi-permanent coating? Which one and what does it need as maintenance (CarPro CQuartz UK, or Finest, does it need a reload top up?).

Lots of questions for you, so we can actually advise you...

Kingfisher

Wetlook?

Post by Kingfisher » Tue May 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Don't bother ... I give up! .... chap.

JAD

Wetlook?

Post by JAD » Tue May 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Kingfisher wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 2:19 pm Don't bother ... I give up! .... chap.
Blimey, someone was poorly brought up. I'd suggest, when someone tries to help you, you work with them, rather than giving up. Deary me. :roll:

Kingfisher

Wetlook?

Post by Kingfisher » Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Oh dear ... welcome to the friendly Z4 Forum. What part of 'it was detailed before I bought it' didn't you understand that you had to keep on about finding out what it was polished with etc? You didn't read the posts did you?
If I'd know it was going to bring obsessives out of the woodwork I wouldn't have asked a simple question in the first place. Anyway, thanks once again to Marlon and Smartbear's simple answer to my simple question! ... :D
As for resorting to insults, well, I'll put it down to you being sad and lonely ... but I'll remember your name.

JAD

Wetlook?

Post by JAD » Tue May 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Kingfisher wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 pmWhat part of 'it was detailed before I bought it' didn't you understand that you had to keep on about finding out what it was polished with etc?
Because as part of a detail, the car is likely to have received an multistage polish and then a last stage product or protector. This could be a wax. It could be a silica based coating that lasts for years. There may be nothing on it, in which case you need to apply something.
Kingfisher wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 pmYou didn't read the posts did you?
Yes, several times, as you repeated yourself and gave no clarity.
Kingfisher wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 pmIf I'd known it was going to bring obsessives out of the woodwork I wouldn't have asked a simple question in the first place.
You've had the car detailed, rather than washing it with a bucket and sponge, so one presumes you have some level of obsession about the way the car looks?
Kingfisher wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 pmAnyway, thanks once again to Marlon and Smartbear's simple answer to my simple question! ... :D
As for resorting to insults, well, I'll put it down to you being sad and lonely ... but I'll remember your name.
If this resolves your question, great stuff. I'll ensure I look out for a marred red 35IS when next in the South of France. :rofl: And goodness, aren't you the sensitive soul! An insult? Do point out where.

Here > you old git.