Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie to finishing

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Dr-Jon

Newbie to finishing

Post by Dr-Jon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi guys, I have a Jet Black Z4 and would like to get it nice and shiny :D
What is my best bet, as at the moment it does have a few stone chips and swirls where its been washed in the past.
any advise would be appreciated
Thanks
PS; starting from scratch...
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

Dr-Jon

Newbie to finishing

Post by Dr-Jon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:35 pm

having looked at the detailing world forum ..this area is a nightmare i really need some advice guys :oops:
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie to finishing

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Jon. It depends on how much you want to get involved in the paint correction side of things. As a newbie to detailing it may not be advisable to attempt to correct your Zeds black paintwork yourself. Dark colours are the most difficult to achieve good results on especially if your a 'novice'. Perhaps there is a forum member near you with some detailing expertise that could take a look at your paintwork and advise/help you correct it. Alternatively you could seek out a reputable detailer/correction expert in your area and possibly get them to do it. You can then get yourself a selection of good quality products to do your own maintenance cleaning and detailing afterwards. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Angelus666

Newbie to finishing

Post by Angelus666 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:52 pm

If you've got an ounce of common then I'd get yourself a dual action machine and give it go yourself (it's quite satisfying)....you really can't f*ck up the paintwork unless you deliberately try to. £200 and your car will look a million bucks.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Newbie to finishing

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:04 pm

From my own limited experience there is a world apart in terms of products & in terms of those who have shiny cars & those who have flawless paintwork ( pretty much impossible to keep that way if the car is driven more than a day a week )
On a scale of 1-10 id consider myself around 5 in terms of what products i use & what finish i can achieve .
I do have a DA polisher now but that's only a recent acquisition , previously using just my limbs :D
So to simplify things from my past experiences either pay a few hundred to have the car professionally corrected & then keep on top or experiment & learn along the way .
Without flooding you with processes or products these are the basics that would improve all but the worst of paint flaws .
1) Meglars Ultimate compound - use first on clean paint with or without machine ( machine on worst areas would give better results
2) 50Cal glaze - masks minor imperfections & adds a good glaze to the paint
3) Autosmart Topaz - seals in the glaze & gives decent protection all year round
4) Auto Finesse Finale spray - use as & when you have cleaned the car to top up the paintwork lustre

I accept many forum members are more gifted & into more advanced & costly procedures but consider the above products will set back around £50 & are a good bit better than high street products its a good place to start , also all of them are very easy to use .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Dr-Jon

Newbie to finishing

Post by Dr-Jon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks Mr Wilks for your insight. I do not yet poses a polishing machine of any description. My last car a 5 series I had for over 5 years never got washed by my fair hands. It went the local hand car wash and I would sit and watch. But I've had the Zed since April and have hand washed it every week. It's nice to keep it shiny : :driving:
So I will be purchasing a few items, oh and 2 buckets :D

Dr-Jon

Newbie to finishing

Post by Dr-Jon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:04 pm From my own limited experience there is a world apart in terms of products & in terms of those who have shiny cars & those who have flawless paintwork ( pretty much impossible to keep that way if the car is driven more than a day a week )
On a scale of 1-10 id consider myself around 5 in terms of what products i use & what finish i can achieve .
I do have a DA polisher now but that's only a recent acquisition , previously using just my limbs :D
So to simplify things from my past experiences either pay a few hundred to have the car professionally corrected & then keep on top or experiment & learn along the way .
Without flooding you with processes or products these are the basics that would improve all but the worst of paint flaws .
1) Meglars Ultimate compound - use first on clean paint with or without machine ( machine on worst areas would give better results
2) 50Cal glaze - masks minor imperfections & adds a good glaze to the paint
3) Autosmart Topaz - seals in the glaze & gives decent protection all year round
4) Auto Finesse Finale spray - use as & when you have cleaned the car to top up the paintwork lustre

I accept many forum members are more gifted & into more advanced & costly procedures but consider the above products will set back around £50 & are a good bit better than high street products its a good place to start , also all of them are very easy to use .
well I took your advice on most of this, got 3, 20 litre buckets, 1 to wash 1 to rinse and 1 for the wheels, all with grit shields. got a Kercher snow foam lance, got the Meglars ultimate compound, as my car is black i went for the poor boys black hole, love the autosmart topaz.
i tried the Carplan No 1 super gloss. not sure about that one just yet. i think i left it on too long before wiping and it was a bugger to get off.
But all in all Im very happy with the shine still needs a machine polish to finish it off but happy for now.
Thanks for the advice. Its always hard when you start out and don't know whats needed.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie to finishing

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Good start, but :worthless:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Dr-Jon

Newbie to finishing

Post by Dr-Jon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 pm

hehe ok ok ill get somes pics