Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight Restoration

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight Restoration

Post by flimper » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Time to give this a go, was going to use the following process, should this be OK, anything I've overlooked?

1) Clean headlight, mask up
2) Wet sand 1500 grit, clean & dry
3) Wet sand 3000 grit, clean & dry
4) DAS6 with Megs Ultimate Compound using orange 3" light cutting pad
5) DAS6 with Autoglym SRP using white 3" finishing pad
6) Megs Cleaner Wax to protect by hand

Using:
ShineMate - Spot Pad Kit - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php ... uctId=1425
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight Restoration

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:12 pm

That's fine - Are you going to do the sanding by hand or with a DA/rotary polisher? If by hand, make sure you do it in an orbital motion, not straight lines, as it will be harder to remove them on the second sand with the finer paper. I'd also be tempted to remove the lights rather than do them in sirtu, as you won't miss any edges, and no risk of damaging paintwork. Getting them off is a 15 min job.

Mike

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight Restoration

Post by flimper » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Watched one of Larry NYC's vids and he said to do one north-south and the other east-west, so was going to follow that by hand. Would it be possible to wedge open the bonnet slightly to avoid damage, not sure I'd trust myself to remove them
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight Restoration

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:04 pm

flimper wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:58 pm Watched one of Larry NYC's vids and he said to do one north-south and the other east-west, so was going to follow that by hand. Would it be possible to wedge open the bonnet slightly to avoid damage, not sure I'd trust myself to remove them
Get some 50mm masking tape if you aren't removing them and use a couple of layers to protect the paint, bonnet up and out of the way is wise.

Mike

Rusky

Headlight Restoration

Post by Rusky » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 am

I did mine at the weekend. Vast improvement but not perfect. Probably need to remove them to do a perfect job. :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.