Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

We didn't intend to but.... (Another new car)

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Re: We didn't intend to but.... (Another new-car guessing ga

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:57 pm

The story of the impulse buy - luckily I'd written this up earlier in an email to a friend

Cindy's 118d is due for replacement and I’d spec’d up a M135i, auto in Estoril, adaptive suspension etc. etc. then Cindy decided that she’d really like an X1 as she likes the higher driving position… fair enough, say I, it’s your car… so off we trot to our local dealer to have a chat and work out what’s what…. luckily we know one of the salesmen quite well so he doesn't mind running lots of figures for us

We test drove an X1 before getting the F20 so Cindy’s happy with the way it drives and is pretty sure about what spec she wants X1 XDrive 2.0d Xline trim, oyster leather, sat nav, comfort access, sun protection glass, etc.… dum, dum, dum,… all was going OK until Cindy asks if they have an X1 in that trim level around so she can see it. There’s one in the stock list but no-one knows exactly where it is (they have several storage lots around the dealership), so off he goes in search of the missing X1…

While he’s gone, I start wandering around the showroom looking at the cars (as you do) and find a brand-new LCI X3 2.0d MSport auto – I thought it was their demonstrator and had a good look over it and it was really nice inside. It wasn’t ‘fully loaded’ by any means but the LCI has lots of kit as standard including leather, nav, heated seats, cruise.. amongst other things the MSport trim adds 19” wheels and PDC (F&R)… it even had the optional panoramic sunroof which meant the black leather interior didn’t make it look too dark.

While I was looking at it I was talking to one of the ladies who’d been trying to help locate the X1 and she said that the new X3 is in such short supply that there’s a 7-8 month waiting list but the one in the showroom was an unregistered cancelled order that had just arrived. Cindy came over to see what I was looking at and cooed at the X3, admired the colour, sat in it and fell in love

By now, they've located the X1, so off we went to see it… Cindy looked at it, and looked in it and her face just sunk… 20 minutes earlier she’d have loved it but, after the X3, it was a bit of a let-down, so…. on our way back to the showroom, I broach the subject of the X3… we have a chat about figures… they move another two cars out of the way so we can get it out of the showroom for a test drive (only had 10 miles on the clock)… Drives very well for a truck, Cindy’s smitten… so back to the showroom and half an hour later the paperwork’s all done and we pick it up next Saturday

So, next time you're thinking of buying a new car, sod the brochures, the internet, reviews... just take your wife to the showroom and let her pick something that's a nice colour :lol:
Last edited by PerryGunn on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Picnic Queen

Re: We didn't intend to but.... (Another new-car guessing ga

Post by Picnic Queen » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:09 pm

PerryGunn wrote:The story of the inpulse buy - luckily I'd written this up earlier in an email to a friend

Cindy's 118d is due for replacement and I’d spec’d up a M135i, auto in Estoril, adaptive suspension etc. etc. then Cindy decided that she’d really like an X1 as she likes the higher driving position… fair enough, say I, it’s your car… so off we trot to our local dealer to have a chat and work out what’s what…. luckily we know one of the salesmen quite well so he doesn't mind running lots of figures for us

We test drove an X1 before getting the F20 so Cindy’s happy with the way it drives and is pretty sure about what spec she wants X1 XDrive 2.0d Xline trim, oyster leather, sat nav, comfort access, sun protection glass, etc.… dum, dum, dum,… all was going OK until Cindy asks if they have an X1 in that trim level around so she can see it. There’s one in the stock list but no-one knows exactly where it is (they have several storage lots around the dealership), so off he goes in search of the missing X1…

While he’s gone, I start wandering around the showroom looking at the cars (as you do) and find a brand-new LCI X3 2.0d MSport auto – I thought it was their demonstrator and had a good look over it and it was really nice inside. It wasn’t ‘fully loaded’ by any means but the LCI has lots of kit as standard including leather, nav, heated seats, cruise.. amongst other things the MSport trim adds 19” wheels and PDC (F&R)… it even had the optional panoramic sunroof which meant the black leather interior didn’t make it look too dark.

While I was looking at it I was talking to one of the ladies who’d been trying to help locate the X1 and she said that the new X3 is in such short supply that there’s a 7-8 month waiting list but the one in the showroom was an unregistered cancelled order that had just arrived. Cindy came over to see what I was looking at and cooed at the X3, admired the colour, sat in it and fell in love

By now, they've located the X1, so off we went to see it… Cindy looked at it, and looked in it and her face just sunk… 20 minutes earlier she’d have loved it but, after the X3, it was a bit of a let-down, so…. on our way back to the showroom, I broach the subject of the X3… we have a chat about figures… they move another two cars out of the way so we can get it out of the showroom for a test drive (only had 10 miles on the clock)… Drives very well for a truck, Cindy’s smitten… so back to the showroom and half an hour later the paperwork’s all done and we pick it up next Saturday

So, next time you're thinking of buying a new car, sod the brochures, the internet, reviews... just take your wife to the showroom and let her pick something that's a nice colour :lol:
Only woman may understand this but, 'Chelsea' felt like putting on a beautiful, elegant, comfy pair of shoes with the matching handbag and I couldn't resist :P

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Re: We didn't intend to but.... (Another new car)

Post by original guvnor » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:25 pm

I can vouch for the long wait. My work colleague ordered in February and it came in November! That was 2012 I think. It's been a very successful Mk2 for BMW compared to the original model.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 pm

I always go with the intention of buying one car and come back with one completely different. Went looking for an X6 and ended up with the Z4. Last time I went to buy a M3 Coupe in Pheonix yellow and ended up buying a 135i vert. The best car buys are made on impulse
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

2alpsade

Post by 2alpsade » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:16 pm

I know she's gonna love it, Perry! So good you haven't got to wait, too.

Happily, we need the wait to save for mine :rofl: Roll on next summer and we'll be joining you in compact German SUV ownership :thumbsup: Shame we won't have the ALPINA alongside it...but things move on :cry:

Congrats!
''10' Alpina E92 B3SBiTurbo #285, manual, Sapphire black, Classics and black/birch bi-colour Lavalina interior.FOR SALE
'13' Alpine White F21 118d Sport.
ex-54' Alpina E85 Roadster S lux #168, Sapphire black & dream red leather (1 of 167 RHD)

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

californiagirl

Post by californiagirl » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:50 pm

PerryGunn wrote:The story of the impulse buy - luckily I'd written this up earlier in an email to a friend

Yep us women know what we want! Hubby took me with him just to "look" and we walked out having ordered our zed!