Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Cheapo Golf R (updated pics)

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
mattwaltersz4m

Re: My Cheapo Golf R

Post by mattwaltersz4m » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:42 am

DPG wrote:There must be 7 or 8 R's in my work car park

I wonder if the market will be flooded with them when all these lease deals are up.
Yup and hopefully with bargains as residuals will take a nose dive. Whenever I see one, I just think oh £250 per month lease deal. :lol:
Z4MR Carbon

BeemerMad

Re: My Cheapo Golf R (updated pics)

Post by BeemerMad » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Went into my local dealership today. Current offers are £1890 down and £315 per month. 10,000 miles pa.

Whats the m135i deals at the moment or rs3s?

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:30 pm

BeemerMad wrote:Went into my local dealership today. Current offers are £1890 down and £315 per month. 10,000 miles pa.

Is that a 3 year lease?

BeemerMad

Post by BeemerMad » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:39 pm

DPG wrote:
BeemerMad wrote:Went into my local dealership today. Current offers are £1890 down and £315 per month. 10,000 miles pa.

Is that a 3 year lease?
35 months

Davegolfr

Post by Davegolfr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:08 am

My blue R is the one Jaxz4 makes reference to. Had the car for a year now and still get a buzz from driving it. Having driven a number of cars from Capri 's to MGB roadsters to 325 BMW's this car is by far the most enjoyable I have had the pleasure to own . The performance is ( for me) brilliant , you can drive it like miss daisy and get 35 mpg + or considerably less on a shall we say more pleasurable drive,ask Jax.
However having had the pleasure of being out with all 3 of the "Amigo's I fully appreciate the open top experience.
If any forum members would like to try the R experience just give me a PM and I will try to accommodate you.

Mowflow

Post by Mowflow » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:02 pm

gwatson wrote:Any update on the Golf now you've got some miles under your belt :)
2 and a half months in now and still enjoying the car. Nothing has broken, worn out, caught fire or fallen off as yet. Neither does it suffer any rattles, squeaks or other irritating noises although i have had the metallic bearing type noise from the turbo from day 1.

I can't remember all that I wrote in my previous posts on this and I can't be bothered going back and reading. As with all fast cars you become used to the pace and this car is no exception. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's boring or it's not quick. It's far too quick for anything but an open road and despite all the VW stereotypes it is an engaging and rewarding drive when leaned on in that environment. You can drive it quickly without effort but you can lean on it that little bit further and it offers a little extra reward. I find this is where it differs from it's most compared rival the M135i. It's been said that the M135i is like a mini GT car, the Golf is definitely more slanted towards a hot hatch. It's not RS Megan territory but it's certainly stiffer and just that little bit more connected feeling, some would perhaps just refer to it as being less refined as it is little things like being able to feel ruts and changes in road surface via the wheel etc.

TBH I don't expect to bond with cars nowadays. I don't know if that's just because i'm older, I change my car more often or cars just aren't loveable anymore. People seem to worry about that lack of bond but it doesn't bother me. At present I have very few complaints about this car (odd little bit of cheap trim, 1st to 2nd has developed a notch when cold, exhaust could sound better and be 2 instead of 4). there are some deluded nutters on the Golf R forum which perhaps lead me to play down any compliment i would give it. It will almost certainly sit in the top half of my "favourite cars owned" list, a list that admittedly isn't that impressive.

Edit. I would urge anyone planning on test driving one of these to get a proper drive on a B road and give it as much of a tanking as your courage will allow. It's talents are not as evident on a motorway (the m135i is much better in that environment) and around town it can just feel like a shopping car.
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:59 pm

I do like these but found on a PCP an Audi S3 with similar spec was cheaper by £25 a month !
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

BeemerMad

Post by BeemerMad » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:48 pm

SO8 wrote:I do like these but found on a PCP an Audi S3 with similar spec was cheaper by £25 a month !
Whats that deal please?

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:00 pm

BeemerMad wrote:
SO8 wrote:I do like these but found on a PCP an Audi S3 with similar spec was cheaper by £25 a month !
Whats that deal please?
Did it via Carwow ... just got the prices back and for a £3K deposit the payments were less than a Golf R which I had to spec more stuff on to equal the S3 std spec. Sorry, but I haven't got the exact details now as it was 2 months ago but the Audi dealer I remember gave 9% off whereas all the other Audi dealers were giving 1-5%.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

BeemerMad

Post by BeemerMad » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:24 pm

SO8 wrote:
BeemerMad wrote:
Whats that deal please?
Did it via Carwow ... just got the prices back and for a £3K deposit the payments were less than a Golf R which I had to spec more stuff on to equal the S3 std spec. Sorry, but I haven't got the exact details now as it was 2 months ago but the Audi dealer I remember gave 9% off whereas all the other Audi dealers were giving 1-5%.
No problem, cheers. :thumbsup:

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:38 am

Are you comparing an S3 PCP vs a golf R Lease?

:tumbleweed:
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:00 am

Got a test drive sorted for next Thursday in one. Thinking (just thinking) of selling the 5 series and Z4M and going to an all in one.

Shame the estate R isn't get available to see in the flesh. I can't decide if the proportions are a little awkward.
Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:16 pm

what a beast - what are the performance figures?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Mowflow

Post by Mowflow » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:51 pm

gwatson wrote:Got a test drive sorted for next Thursday in one. Thinking (just thinking) of selling the 5 series and Z4M and going to an all in one.

Shame the estate R isn't get available to see in the flesh. I can't decide if the proportions are a little awkward.
Be sure and give it a good rinsing on the wonderful B roads around your neck of the woods if possible. That's really where the car shines and sets itself apart from both the S3 and the m135i. I'm not sure you will find it as engaging or anywhere near as special as a Z4M, nor will you find it as relaxing as a 5 series pottering on a long motorway journey but it certainly does offer a mix of the talents of both those cars.

General consensus is that pottering around town it can feel very inert and on a motorway it can be noisey. I really can not emphasis enough how important it is to put the car in Race mode and lean on it on a good driving road.
Marlon wrote:what a beast - what are the performance figures?
Manual as standard is 5.1 0-60 DSG is 4.9s 0-60 and both limited to 155mph (although lots of owners have evidence of over 160mph)
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

Marky Mark

Post by Marky Mark » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Very nice indeed, looks the part :thumbsup: 8)